Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short indoor triathlon advice

• 22-01-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Heya guys anyone got advice on how to train for a short distance indoor triathlon?I have 6 weeks to prepare for being able to run 3km ,cycle 10 km and swim 25 lengths.Its saturday march 5th and i would like to be able to give it a fair shot since its for charity.

Anyone got any training advice for me?I have 2 weeks off before college starts back so currently going to the gym 5 days a week altho when i start back i will only be able to manage 4 with a day of a homework in between.

For in the gym ,my current program is:
    18 mins treadmill
    15 mins walking
    10 mins cycling

then i alternate weights depending on the day

At Home my program would be:
    Weights every 2nd day
    Dance mat 300-400 cals
    Stepper 10 mins
    Trampoline 20 mins
    Cross trainer /Bike 15 mins

Im currently 67kg having put on 6 kg over xmas altho im not sure whereter or not its muscle mass since i invested in a 22 kgs weight set and sit up thingy.

Also any tips on what i should eat?Im a vegetarin so im trying to eat lots of dairy for protein as well as qourn and a daily protein shake (its low carb).

Any advice would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ok I have no other advise then this is in eth wrong forum as there is actually a marathon/triathlon forum.

but other then how do you do an indoor triathlon, do you just use a stationary bike and threadmill. (if so I can now count my amount of full triathlons as 4 instead of 0:D:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Wooopsies my bad!:p how do i get this thread to be moved to its true home?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ah one of the mods has already moved it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

first off, are they doing it in that order run then bike then swim? It's usually swim - bike - run.

Also if you're running 18 mins (take it this is what you mean by treadmill?) then you should be fine for the 3 km. However you're only doing 10-15 min cycling. Unless you're very fast, you're not going to cover 10 km in this time so maybe you need to think about upping the time you spend on the bike? I'm not quite sure what the homework is bringing to the mix, prehaps more biking instead of dancemat until you do the triathlon?

For food advice, check out the nutritional forum. small meals frequently consisting of high quality, low processed foods is the way to go. Unless you're doing serious training, you should be able to get enough protein in your veggie diet, but if you find you can't then consider supplementing. I think whey is the most suggested option.

Ohh thank you! I've never been much fond of the excersise bike ,any way to make it more enjoyable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

now you're talking my language. I once spent 6 hours on a turbo trainer (like an exercise bike) so I feel your pain on the boredom. I listen to music or watch tv mostly. I tried studying/reading but they take more effort so I wasn't putting enough into the cycling.

I managed to do 10km on first level of resistance in 20 mins ,only burned 87 calories though is this normal?And should i try and get the 20 mins down to 15 for the triathaloN?

Btw Panic at the disco got me through it today...thank god for music!

Advertisement