Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting Tips & Tricks

Options
  • 22-01-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Just thought a thread that had some tips tricks and techniques would be a good idea?

I'll start off;

• Just like a burning candle; Never leave a unmatched bet unattended

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭corkfella

never smoke in bed..............

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Never back 0-0. Back 'no goalscorer' instead at the same price and you will win if the only goal(s) is an own goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Never sit out a potential big win. If you're in a strong position trade some of it.

Greed and gambling don't get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

Back high! Lay low!

Never back out of boredom/for excitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Your first instinct is usually the right one!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

dotsflan wrote: »
    Your first instinct is usually the right one!!!!

Never EVER bet on Liverpool, for any reason back or Lay, they will let you down.

Also keep an eye on markets that are essentially the same...

e.g 10 mins to go.....

0-0, Draw, no next gaolscorer all amount to the same thing but sometimes have vastly different odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

adrian522 wrote: »
    Never EVER bet on Liverpool,

Hey, Thats my motto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Don't bother with accumulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

If you get a tip for a horse - Lay it!

Only bet on value. The secret to gambling success. Only it's not much of a secret, people just choose not to listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Yeah ,..
    if i ever post an accumalator, you can be sure to lay every single selection i make.

If I had the free capital I'd happily lay all your accumulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If you don't REALLY like something, don't back it.
    Always think what the bookie wants you to bet on, and do the opposite.
    Stay away from accumulators. That's a given i think.
    Trade off if your in for a big win but don't get into a habit of it laying the average bet.
    Back a team on performance, never hype.
    Always go the distance to getting the best price about an outcome.
    Don't follow a big gamble blindly. By the time you 'get on' any value might be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

dsmythy wrote: »
    Don't follow a big gamble blindly. By the time you 'get on' any value might be gone.

This is true, and there may not even have been any value to begin with.

Particularly true for horse racing. The odds open 16/1, drops to 14, bit more money and it's 12's, people see a bit of an each-way gamble and more of them pile in, the odds drop to 10,9 and now it's a steamer, people are taking notice of 'the gamble' and putting more money on etc Always be wary of these, as quite often there's no substance to them.

-DO watch out for horses that are significantly ahead of the handicapper i.e a horse that's running off the same mark as prevoius recent win(s), before the weights go up possibly 9lb or more the following day. Won't be a big price, but occasionally you can get a real good thing. Mark Prescott is particularly adept at it.

-DO follow horses on the upgrade. Be wary of a short price fav that's dropping down the grades after flopping in a higher grade. They can be terrible value.

-DO watch out for the earlier stages of the UEFA CUP, the bookies find it a difficult market to price up and you can get a steal or two if you do your homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Particularly true for horse racing. The odds open 16/1, drops to 14, bit more money and it's 12's, people see a bit of an each-way gamble and more of them pile in, the odds drop to 10,9 and now it's a steamer, people are taking notice of 'the gamble' and putting more money on etc Always be wary of these, as quite often there's no substance to them.

This is an excellent piece of advice, a 16/1 shot represents roughly a 6% chance of winning while a 9/1 shot represents a 10% chance, meaning a horse that moves from 16/1 to 9/1 is only actually a 4% move in the market. It's amazing the amount of people that regard this a serious move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

If you're doing a first goalscorer bet do it in Celtic Bookmakers or Hacketts. If your player scores first and goes on to score again in the 90 mins you will get the odds doubled, i.e. Ronaldo 4/1 to score first beomes 8/1 if he scores twice or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

raheny red wrote: »
    If you're doing a first goalscorer bet do it in Celtic Bookmakers or Hacketts. If your player scores first and goes on to score again in the 90 mins you will get the odds doubled, i.e. Ronaldo 4/1 to score first beomes 8/1 if he scores twice or more.

Bambury bookmakers do this also but if your scorer scores a hat trick you get 100% bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Don't back anything in juvenile hurdles and remember the motto

.... that tomorrow is another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Forky wrote: »
    Don't bother with accumulators.

Tell that to the William Hill millionaire.

I'd rather back small stake accums for a chance of a big win rather than lose heavy on odds-ons - absolutely nothing worse than losing on a 1/4 shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Tell that to the William Hill millionaire.

I'd rather back small stake accums for a chance of a big win rather than lose heavy on odds-ons - absolutely nothing worse than losing on a 1/4 shot.

Doing such long odds accums doesn’t constitute real gambling in my opinion; it’s akin to doing the lotto! Actually you would be better off doing the lotto. At least the prize pool isn’t capped. The odds on the accum were close to 2million but that’s standard bookmaker T & Cs.

• Advertisement

of course it's like doing the lotto and like the lotto the prizes are much bigger - I see big accums win every day and i see people losing big every day on so-called proper bets - I know who i'd rather be.

lolkelly wrote: »
    Doing such long odds accums doesn’t constitute real gambling in my opinion; it’s akin to doing the lotto! Actually you would be better off doing the lotto. At least the prize pool isn’t capped. The odds on the accum were close to 2million but that’s standard bookmaker T & Cs.

I believe the odds were 2 million to 1 but the stake was 50p - max payout 1 million - he probably does them all the time so gets a million pay out.

of course it's like doing the lotto and like the lotto the prizes are much bigger - I see big accums win every day and i see people losing big every day on so-called proper bets - I know who i'd rather be.

That’s a crazy statement. Bookmakers love people who do accums!The majority of people who make money from betting are those who spot value on certain markets. It doesn’t matter if it’s a 1/4 that should be 1/6. That’s still value.

oh the bookies love multiple betters - that is true - they also love people who bet like you do. In fact they love everyone that makes a bet because they win no matter what.

I don't see very many people who win from bookies over a long period of time without inside information - very, very few and if they do they get factored down to nothing anyway.

Betting is a mugs game unless you are the bookie, so you may as well do the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

oh the bookies love multiple betters - that is true - they also love people who bet like you do. In fact they love everyone that makes a bet because they win no matter what.

I don't see very many people who win from bookies over a long period of time without inside information - very, very few and if they do they get factored down to nothing anyway.

Betting is a mugs game unless you are the bookie, so you may as well do the lotto.

That statement is true for most people. However at least by avoiding accums people are giving themselves half a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Always back the underdogs in the NHL.

dsmythy wrote: »
    That statement is true for most people. However at least by avoiding accums people are giving themselves half a chance.

Again - tell that to the William Hill millionaire - he ain't complaining.

Look, I love a punt but I've no problem with mental accums for the big win - they do happen and I can't afford to throw a 100 on a horse or a football single, so the big accums give me a bit of enjoyment for a while every weekend and I ain't losing much like most people.

I have kids and to squander serious money to bookies is a big no-no.

Again - tell that to the William Hill millionaire - he ain't complaining.

Look, I love a punt but I've no problem with mental accums for the big win - they do happen and I can't afford to throw a 100 on a horse or a football single, so the big accums give me a bit of enjoyment for a while every weekend and I ain't losing much like most people.

I have kids and to squander serious money to bookies is a big no-no.

See that’s the dirreference between a person who punts for fun, and is generally a long term loser, and those who punt to make money. Those who punt to make money stick to a strict bankroll system, tend to look for value in the market and will always use the exchanges to bet/lay and hedge bets/cover losses! That’s not to say all these punters make money….It takes a lot of discipline!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

jameshayes wrote: »
    If you get a tip for a horse - Lay it!

:D Haha, think that's the best tip I've ever got.

• Advertisement
Advertisement