Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Almost certainly a dumb question about the cadets

• 22-01-2008 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I'll be graduating from college shortly and I've been giving a lot of thought applying for the cadets. However the problem is my eye-sight which is poor to say the least.
    Assuming I clearly don't meet the requirements for uncorrected vision (apparently there are seperate requirements for corrected and uncorrected vision) is there any point in pursuing the application any further?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

the requirments for vision are in the cadetship booklet, if your eyesight is no where near the required standard you could find yourself going through the first two phases and subject to getting to final interview stage failing the medical. depends on whether you would consider all the effort a waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

What about laser surgery? would that be an option for you? apart from the Cadetship, it has been a great success for several people I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Laser eye surgery is a big NO NO in the PDF at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭-aurora

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Laser eye surgery is a big NO NO in the PDF at the moment.
    how can they tell you've had it done??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

-aurora wrote: »
    how can they tell you've had it done??

An eye examination by a doctor will detect something a bit funny, if they send it further you'll be caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

im no doctor but as far as i know laser eye surgery leaves the eyes somewhat more suceptible to injury, im not sure if you are allowed to play full contact sports after you have had it done.. now maybe advancements in medical procedure means this is no longer true, but i think that is the reason why you are not allowed into the DF having had this done. And it leaves scarring of some description that can be seen when an optician shines a light into your eyes.. that being said they might never shine a light into your eyes ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The eye sight test won't detect lazer surgery unless your applying for a cadetship in the air corp.

Just don't tell them you've had ANY surgery, EVER on ANY part of your body!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Ah Mairt one of the best pieces of advice ever, the less the DF know about your medical history(surprisingly) the better it is for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

It's true colour blindness is a no-no too, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

newby.204 wrote: »
    Ah Mairt one of the best pieces of advice ever, the less the DF know about your medical history(surprisingly) the better it is for you!!

Well now thats not exactly what I said now, is it!.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

of course not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

AFAIK LASIK will leave a flap on the front of your eye and will rule out most contact sports. It heals in a much quicker time but has more complications.

LASEK will take longer to heal but you will be able to do contact sports.

I looked into this as I do boxing and would be unable to continue with LASIK, I asked my optician and he said LASEK would mean I'd be able to continue boxing but that I would have to let it heal for a while afterwards.

I am not offering medical advice or saying the established fact.
    I am saying what my optician told me.

Mairt, let's say hypothetically a guy applied for the army cadets but had laser eye surgery,
    do they specifically ask if you had laser eye surgery?
    What would be the penalty if they caught you out?

Advertisement