Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Advice [a short film]

• 22-01-2008 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

Here is a short film we shot the other day, it was shot in about 1 hour from the time the idea was concieved.

Any way its on youtube if u want to check it out, also comments are welcome!

A man sitting at a bus stop gives advice to a troubled stranger, who unfortunately for him wasn't waiting for a bus!

Written & Directed By - Brian O'Neill
    Starring - Brian O'Neill & James English
    Filmed On Location In Arklow

Bad Advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Enid Coleslaw

Oooh. I like it. The performances are nicely understated.

Have you made many other short films?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Thanks for watching Enid and thanks for the comments.

Yes we have made a few short films, the better ones being:

CONTRACT
    A mans loyalty to the company is being tested!!

Written By - Brian O'Neill
    Directed By - Paul Byrne
    Starring - Brian O'Neill, James English & David Doyle

Monday Morning - Directors Cut
    A short film about monday morning blues gone bad.

Written & Directed By - Paul Byrne & James English
    Starring - James English

Redemption
    When a man wakes up with only a key in his pocket, he struggles to find the answers of life and death.

Written & Directed By - Paul Byrne
    Starring - Brian O'Neill

ENJOY!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The Wicker Man

craze7 wrote: »
    Here is a short film we shot the other day, it was shot in about 1 hour from the time the idea was concieved.

Any way its on youtube if u want to check it out, also comments are welcome!

A man sitting at a bus stop gives advice to a troubled stranger, who unfortunately for him wasn't waiting for a bus!

Written & Directed By - Brian O'Neill
    Starring - Brian O'Neill & James English

Bad Advice

Well done guys.I have been in a few short film contests in London, where you are on a time limit from conception to final edit, and what you guys did compares favourably.Nicely underplayed by the actors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭eoin1981

excellent. really enjoyed them. Redemption is great. keep it up!

Eoin

Thanks for watching man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I really liked Bad Advice.
    Great idea.

The only let down, for me, are the accents.
    Especially the advice giver.
    I was struggling to understand what he was saying at times.
    It's a small thing and not meant as a dig.

I enjoyed Contract too.
    Great work on the action, very convincing.
    I thought the camera could have been on a tripod for the close ups on the guy in the chair.
    It was a little shaky at times.

Monday Morning, I didn't really get.
    I mean he didn't even eat the toast. ;)

Overall, some nice ideas and good work.

Killian

K!LL!@N wrote: »
    I really liked Bad Advice.
    The only let down, for me, are the accents.
    Especially the advice giver.
    I was struggling to understand what he was saying at times.
    It's a small thing and not meant as a dig.
    Killian

Thanks for checking them out man, yeah i know what ur saying about the accent and even the dialogue in general. Im the advice giver in that one and my only defence is that we shot that on a saturday morning after i was on an all day session of beer, woke up like 9 o'clock in the morning on the sofa.

Then went and shot that about an hour later, i didn't even read the script. The other lad read it to me once and i just winged it from there. So there is basicly no acting on my part just me hung over on a bench ad-libbing!!!

lol..

anyway i appricate the comments, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Very impressed with them all, fair play.

The only thing I'd say, is that maybe you could consider exploring different themes? I think you have a solid approach to shooting and editing, but at the end of the day I think the two most done genres when on a budget are zombie films and gangster films. So any young film makers who do either can easily fall into the "me-too" trap.

Your films definitely have a certain style to them and I'd like to see it moving out towards different subject matter. I know guns+blood are loads of fun, but it has been done thousands of times before. Not sayin this to put you down or say that your subject matter isn't interesting, because you do have a smart and mature approach to all of them. But I think it would be cool to see the same kind of style used it more varied themes.

Also, great use of music.

Thanks for watchin man and thanks for the comments too.

Funny you should say that about the zombie thing tho because the next film were gonna do is a zombie themed one! lol i wrote 2 new films the zombie one about 10 minutes long and a thriller about 15 minutes long.

Were were gonna film the zombie one first because it seemed easier! But it does sound a bit cheese now that you mention it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 l.led

Good work lads, i like it, have you's entered it in any film festivals? if not i think you's should. i have entered some myself and i think your short could do well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 lumix

Bad Advise i really liked, the acting was very well done and the fixed camera worked for this peice.
    At times it seemed alittle rushed, maby that was due to scheduling i dont know
    Impressive overall keep it up

Redemption i found very original and one of my favourite of your short films. I have noticed that you have five shorts posted on this forum and was just wondering if you have anymore, as i am very impressed with what i have seen so far.

what training have you's had?

Thanks for watching man, when the shorts were made we had no training at all[still dont!!!] but as of last year me cousin is in film college in Bray.

I enjoyed watching, its good to see some quality shorts out there. As for training if you have the talent who needs the traning.
    Keep them coming:D

Advertisement