Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BT UK] Broadband Installation

Options
  • 22-01-2008 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

So basically, I got my BT Broadband home hub through today, and when I put the installation CD into my computer it runs, does the BT logo, and then goes entirely white.. and I can't do anything, let a lone install the damn thing.
    So I thought I'd give it a go on my laptop (which I'm using now), I put the CD in, and it told me I needed to update my Macromedia Flash to version 7. This option didn't come up on my computer, so I clicked "OK", and everything ran smoothly..
    But I don't know what to do about my computer. I can download Flash on this, but how do I get it to my other computer? I'm confused, because my computer meets all the requirements. What idiot assumed all computers have up-to-date Macromedia software?!
    I tried downloading it off download.com, but it redirects me to the Adobe website to do with organisations...

yah, I just don't know what to do.

Also, I don't have a telephone port in my room anymore (as I moved), and the cable won't reach my desk.. and I can't use a lead over 10metres (confused).. unfortunately being the only spare leads I have being 10-20+.

A third problem, to do with the fact my router can't reach my computer.. is that my PC doesn't have wireless?! Yet has "Wireless Network Set up Wizard"... (what is this exactly?) So I need my router to reach my PC or I'm fooked. Any ideas? (As for now, my laptop is wireless & the BT software seems to have created a second wireless detector thingy).

A forth thing, does anyone know how I can change my p/w for my router, cause I want something harder yet easy to remember.

Lots of questions.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEE!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Ah, life's not easy.

first if you put the cd in your computer and then use windows explorer to navigate to the drive (probably d:) then it's pretty likely you will see a file named setup.exe located in there that you can run to do the setup. If it's not on the drive check in the individual folders - they are likely to be named meaningfully. Flash is just a pretty interface to access an executable file to do the actually network configuration your computer needs to run off the hub.

Adobe do make flash now they bought Macromedia quite some time ago - typing 'download flash' into Google will find it quickly.

While a long phone lead isn't recommended it will most likely work if it's in good condition and of good quality. A better appraoch would be to put the hub near the phone socket and buy a long network cable to hook up your pc. Does the hub have wireless? In that case you just need a wireless adapter for your computer.

Why exactly do you want to change the username and password on the router? Seems an odd thing to do unless you are enabling remote access to it from the Internet. Your router can be configured through your web browser on your laptop. You just need to find its IP - a set of numbers that act like an addrress. I don't knwo what the default IP is for a BT router but I would imagine you can find that information on the site, or just call support (1904 from your landline) or check your network settings and look for the gateway IP by hitting the 'Start' button on your laptop, choosing 'Run' and then typing 'cmd' which will open up a black command window. Type ipconfig /all in there and then look for your wireless card in the entries that spew out. Associated with your wireless card there will be a 'Gateway' entry - will probably look something like 192.168.2.1 - just stick that in your browser address bar to reach your router.
    So basically, I got my BT Broadband home hub through today, and when I put the installation CD into my computer it runs, does the BT logo, and then goes entirely white.. and I can't do anything, let a lone install the damn thing.
    So I thought I'd give it a go on my laptop (which I'm using now), I put the CD in, and it told me I needed to update my Macromedia Flash to version 7. This option didn't come up on my computer, so I clicked "OK", and everything ran smoothly..
    But I don't know what to do about my computer. I can download Flash on this, but how do I get it to my other computer? I'm confused, because my computer meets all the requirements. What idiot assumed all computers have up-to-date Macromedia software?!
    I tried downloading it off download.com, but it redirects me to the Adobe website to do with organisations...

yah, I just don't know what to do.

Also, I don't have a telephone port in my room anymore (as I moved), and the cable won't reach my desk.. and I can't use a lead over 10metres (confused).. unfortunately being the only spare leads I have being 10-20+.

A third problem, to do with the fact my router can't reach my computer.. is that my PC doesn't have wireless?! Yet has "Wireless Network Set up Wizard"... (what is this exactly?) So I need my router to reach my PC or I'm fooked. Any ideas? (As for now, my laptop is wireless & the BT software seems to have created a second wireless detector thingy).

A forth thing, does anyone know how I can change my p/w for my router, cause I want something harder yet easy to remember.

Lots of questions.

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEE!

Advertisement