Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan GTR Grey Import

Options
  • 22-01-2008 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

What are the legalities around doing this, say for example I was to buy for export in Japan and ship home to Dublin?

raws_gtr1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Google some threads on importing from Japan - there shouldn't be any difference with a new car.

If I win the lotto tomorrow, I'm going to contact New Era Imports in the UK. They have a consignment of JDM spec due in March at Stg52,000ish on the road. They weren't all sold last I heard. It might be cheaper to buy it in the UK with the VAT already paid and bring it home then.

First UK spec cars aren't due until March 2009. V-spec will take even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Best Google it, EVO mentioned Nissan are implementing restrictions (not sure how) to prevent this, but there are already ones for sale in the UK.

EDIT: D'oh, beaten to it above

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

no tried the uk crowds, all sold out and there charging a huge premium, its much cheaper if I pay the premium in japan and arranging shipping myself.

I am just worried about the european pollution standard thing put I presume if they can be landed in uk than thay can be landed everywhere else in europe.

Is it possible to ring rosslare and see what the charge vrt wise on these now , presume as its a nissan they might not have a clue . Rather get it landed before the tax change in July.

There you go...bad enough if you were getting it through a trader, but no come back at all if you do it yourself and it goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

tvr wrote: »
    no tried the uk crowds, all sold out and there charging a huge premium, its much cheaper if I pay the premium in japan and arranging shipping myself.

I am just worried about the european pollution standard thing put I presume if they can be landed in uk than thay can be landed everywhere else in europe.

Is it possible to ring rosslare and see what the charge vrt wise on these now , presume as its a nissan they might not have a clue . Rather get it landed before the tax change in July.

Don't worry, they'll have a clue alright!
    Also, if you can afford to buy one of these, surely the road tax won't be much of a problem will it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Anyone know how much they are here?? 90/100k??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I'd say more like 130/140k

So imagine the scenario, your €90-130k GTR decides to go into limp home mode, ie. it's trying to limp home to Japan. Without a cast-iron support guarantee it's a bit of a gamble :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

There will be 9 deilvered to nissan Ireland in dec
    Price aint as much as people think 70-80k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Gatster wrote: »
    So imagine the scenario, your €90-130k GTR decides to go into limp home mode, ie. it's trying to limp home to Japan. Without a cast-iron support guarantee it's a bit of a gamble :rolleyes:

kinda like a BMW i-i-i-can't-drive, then.........:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

There will be 9 deilvered to nissan Ireland in dec
    Price aint as much as people think 70-80k
    Eh? The 'official' price being vaunted in the UK is about £55k from what I read, which equates to about €73k, meaning that even with a ceiling price of €80, VRT would be €7k???

Do you have insider knowledge here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Eh? The 'official' price being vaunted in the UK is about £55k from what I read, which equates to about €73k, meaning that even with a ceiling price of €80, VRT would be €7k???

Check the price of some other £55k car in UK versus the € price here.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

I work for a Nissan Dealer, I was at the conference in nov for 2008 products thats what they are saying pricewise .

Biro wrote: »
    Check the price of some other £55k car in UK versus the € price here.
    Like these possible competitors (in a roundabout way) you mean, not sure of your point here:

Audi RS4 - UK £51030/Ireland €104130
    BMW M3 - UK £50625/Ireland €103900

I have to wait until December for Godzilla? .......once I win the lotto tonight.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Like these possible competitors (in a roundabout way) you mean, not sure of your point here:

Audi RS4 - UK £51030/Ireland €104130
    BMW M3 - UK £50625/Ireland €103900

I agree - you can usually just double the GBP figure and take that as Euros (as a rough approx). So to me that would mean £55k roughly equating to €110. I'm not sure what options would be available but at least €120k would seem possible. 70-80k just doesnt seem right to me - at that rate why would you buy a 1 - 2 yr old M3 when you can have a Porsche Turbo equalling/beating GT-R for around the same money?

Silver-Tiger when are you guys taking deposits then? How many dealers will get the official gtr dealership for ireland ie.. can service the things. I presume if theres only 8 cars then theres going to be only 1 . Which makes the expense of getting all the equipment in just to service the thing a lost leader unless your charging a premium on the things.

By the way the rrp in japan is around 50,000 euro (plus a few brown envelopes) and some people are telling me I could land it for 45k in the uk if I do it myself which would in your theory equate to 90,000 euro in ireland? So maybe he on to something.

also how aware would the vrt office be to a 100k plus nissan?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

I tried to import a GTR, actually booked it with NewEra and was going to be delivered to Dublin by some agent of theirs in Bray. Problem was the VRT. NewEra will deliver the car but won't be responsible for VRT pre or post july 2008. The VRT office don’t have GTR on their system and I was told they will add it after having a look around. I guess this look around will probably last till after July 2008, so there went all my hard work of importing it before the new tax rule! Not actually a good idea to import it now when it's just out as the premium and extra cost is just unbelievable and I guess will drop sooner rather then later! The only benefit is being the first to own the GRT other then that I don't see anything else!

• Advertisement

The VRT office don’t have GTR on their system and I was told they will add it after having a look around. I guess this look around will probably last till after July 2008

They'll probably just inspect the car and make up a OMSP on the spot. They won't refuse to register it.

YOU LUCKY, LUCKY BASTARD!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I would imagine 100k is the top price for it....i would put it somwhere between 90k and 100k.
    Awesome car....but what about resale? Very small market for something like this in ireland.

Advertisement