Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

driving to dublin

• 22-01-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

does anybody drive up and down to dublin and used the castlecomer, stradbally way i drove it two times now and found it a lot faster than carlow castledermot way just wondering was it just me and the times i was traviling or is it a bit quicker............ cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I live just to the north of town so I usually go Kilkenny-Ballyragget-Durrow-Abbeyleix and then its motorway all the way from there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

does anybody drive up and down to dublin and used the castlecomer, stradbally way i drove it two times now and found it a lot faster than carlow castledermot way just wondering was it just me and the times i was traviling or is it a bit quicker............ cheers

Depends. If its at night I use the carlow road as its a better road. During the day though I'd go through castlecomer and athy, as theres less traffic and usually it's faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

have used both and haven't found any major difference time wise. I would be more likly to use the carlow route when its dark. Alot of times I'll head as far as castledermot and then turn right and head in the back way coming in the other side of tallght, suits me better as my grandparents house is just down the road then and I avoid the massive mess that is the red cow at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Usually go via Athy/Comer as I think it's actually shorter slightly (never measured it though). Seems to be more as " the crow flies". And way less trucks.
    Hopefully now with the N9 motorway we won't be having this discussion in 2 or 3 years time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I travel that route a lot...

Use Castlecomer/Athy 99% of the time.

Athy can be a nightmare if you hit it at the wrong time. That set of traffic lights near Shaws seems to cause chaos.

The other problem is Ballylynan. They seem to have been doing roadworks there forEVER! The road surface being so bad for about 12 months now, it's like driving through an assault course.

I tend to avoid the Carlow route to Dublin as I always seem to get caught behind trucks.

According to the AA Route PLanning site, going via Athy is slightly shorter (116.2km) than going via Carlow (121.1km)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its 132km via Abbeyleix according to the AA but I find it quicker since you get onto the motorway so much earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

My OH lives in Dublin and drives through Ballyragget-Durrow-Abbeyleix and onto the motorway. Its a lot quicker than the Comer-Athy way and faster again the Carlow-Castledermot route.

Advertisement