Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Bad Day - Beware of Idiot cyclists

Options
  • 22-01-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Today I was on my usual commute to Ucd from Templeogue, departing at 7 30am. I was going through a park along the dodder which leads to the Clonskeagh road T-junction near the evergreen petrol station. The pedestrian lights were green to cross the road so i slowly went along as there were a few people around, was only a bit across the road and i hear someone call 'wakey wakey' and suddenly this moron cycles right into the front of frame. He had broken the lights coming from ucd down the hill at speed and went straight into me. I gave him a few choice words and he actually gave out to me even though he was completely at fault.

To add to this, some wise guy took the plastic bag off my saddle and got it wet and on my way home the gears on my bike failed because of that idiot that hit me. Bad start to 2008 to say the least!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

but you broke the lights too;):D
    but yes i see your point, i bet my life he was on a **** bike, says it all tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

was he by any chance heading towards ranelagh on the wrong side of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

noblestee wrote: »

I would bet a fiver that it was the same guy who cut me up blasting the cycle lane on the wrong side of the road yesterday. serious cyclist too, with all the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Frog Brother

we must name and shame him, get a photo next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Itsfixed wrote: »
    I would bet a fiver that it was the same guy who cut me up blasting the cycle lane on the wrong side of the road yesterday. serious cyclist too, with all the gear.

A.K.A poser

bet you he spent more on the spandex than on the bike:D:D
    funny when you see it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

Be careful here boys.

There are rules to using this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

People break this one at speed all the time- I presume he was in the bike lane?

@kona- there aren't any lights for bikes as such coming out of the park, only the pedestrian lights.

One thing to bear in mind here is that there is a filter right turn that goes green to turn down Beech Hill while the going forward light is red. I _think_ this can be the case while the pedestrian light across by the petrol station is green (I may be wrong if the pedestrian light is the other side, not sure.)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

you were both in the wrong for breaking a red light, even if he injured you and you wanted to claim I'd hope any court in the land would laugh at you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The OP didn't break a red light.. He cycled across a pedestrian crossing, which was green. It's the only way to get across the road at that point.

He cycled slowly and took care. If he'd gotten off the bike and walked, the oncoming cyclist probably would have still gone into him !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe he still broke the law (technically), also wouldn't that mean he cycled on the path coming upto the crossing?

imho both are in the wrong although cyclist who broke the light at speed was a bigger danger I'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Technically wrong to cross a pedestrian crossing on his bike. Somewhat akin to a pedestrian crossing the road within 15 metres of a pedestrian light. Absolutely insignificant and not worth the time to raise it frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Coming out of the park on the cycle path there there are no lights for bikes (or anything else.) If you go completely straight on having come out of the park you cross the junction directly into Beech Hill Road, no cycling on footpaths involved at all (other than to cross the footpath as a car would coming out of a driveway.)

Technically the OP would not be crossing the pedestrian crossing but to the left of it.

The green pedestrian light is on the OP's left. There is a filter right-turn for traffic coming from the OP's right (e.g. also turning into Beech Hill Road.) But I get the impression that the other cyclist was coming through the junction from the left to break the red and go straight on (this is pretty common.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

kona wrote: »
    but you broke the lights too;):D
    but yes i see your point, i bet my life he was on a **** bike, says it all tbh.
    No I didn't . He was in his mid 40s wearing a standard luminous jacket with sleeves
    noblestee wrote: »
    No he was heading towards the Hospital on Clonskeagh road coming from Ucd

He cycled slowly and took care. If he'd gotten off the bike and walked, the oncoming cyclist probably would have still gone into him !![/QUOTE]
    Cabaal wrote: »
    I believe he still broke the law (technically), also wouldn't that mean he cycled on the path coming upto the crossing?

imho both are in the wrong although cyclist who broke the light at speed was a bigger danger I'd imagine

blorg wrote: »
    Coming out of the park on the cycle path there there are no lights for bikes (or anything else.) If you go completely straight on having come out of the park you cross the junction directly into Beech Hill Road, no cycling on footpaths involved at all (other than to cross the footpath as a car would coming out of a driveway.)

Technically the OP would not be crossing the pedestrian crossing but to the left of it.

The green pedestrian light is on the OP's left. There is a filter right-turn for traffic coming from the OP's right (e.g. also turning into Beech Hill Road.) But I get the impression that the other cyclist was coming through the junction from the left to break the red and go straight on (this is pretty common.)

I wanted to go right up the clonskeagh road so I cross at those pedestrian lights and when i cross them i go on to the lights at belfield office park and then go onto the Clonskeagh road from there. Its the safest option as when you leave the park you have no other option if you wish to turn right.

I dont cycle on that footpath after leaving the park as there is often children and buggies around, then as i went to cycle across the road i was hit. The footpath is not the issue here anyway. Im a pretty big guy and was wearing a luminous jacket and 2 rear and front lights and he would have seen me if he been paying attention as there is a distance of about 10 metres between the lights he broke and the pedstrian lights. He wrecked my gear cable and brake cables.

Advertisement