Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Development

• 22-01-2008 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm thinking of studying the S.D. course in Limerick. Any advice/info on the course? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

I lived last year with a guy doing that, the impression i got from him what he told me was that it was very hard(he droped out), but in the end would be worth it, companies even come in trying to give you jobs! which in my mind at least, is the best type of course there is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

not wanting to sound like a snob or anything, if you want to do a computer course in limerick lit would definately be the easiest option. comp sys in ul is slightly evil in comparison to the lit course. i'm not doing sd in lit but i am living with a guy who is, and it seems to be a cake walk compared to comp sys in ul.
    although if you do go to ul you will get an excellent degree. but it is very tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

In what way is the degree from UL superior to LIT's degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

sme wrote: »
    not wanting to sound like a snob or anything, if you want to do a computer course in limerick lit would definately be the easiest option. comp sys in ul is slightly evil in comparison to the lit course. i'm not doing sd in lit but i am living with a guy who is, and it seems to be a cake walk compared to comp sys in ul.
    although if you do go to ul you will get an excellent degree. but it is very tough.

Is there an award for ignorance because this broad is up there with the best of them....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

I'm thinking of studying the S.D. course in Limerick. Any advice/info on the course? Thanks.

I have not done the course myself but I know a couple of people who done it in LIT. Apparantly only a fraction starting out manage to make it to fourth year. Iv also heard employers come to the college offering jobs which speaks volumes for the course and can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

If I was you I would go to UL and do comp sys. Higher standard and it would be easier to get a job, but harder to get a good grade in your degree. I did Information systems in LIT and I got a 1.1 and got a decent job, but it would have been way easier to get a job had I gone to UL. I found I had to justify why I choose LIT over UL, allot in interviews. Now I know Software Development in LIT is a very good course, but it does make a difference where you went to college (even though people say it doesn't) Also the facilities in UL are far superior than LIT. Thats my 2 C and most people in my class felt the same way.

Also I wouldn't let the high drop out rates put you off. The only people who drop out are the people who are not willing to put in the work. Anyone I know that worked at it got on well and all have good jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭peteballagh

Does the course involve 3d animation/modelling with stuff like Maya and Photoshop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

No. This is a software development course, you would be looking for graphic design or web development type course. Try multimedia in LIT not sure if there is an equivalent in UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 JackBlack

I`ve done software development in LIT. Very very hard course but once your over the 1st 2 years it gets better. Since I `ve qualified I`ve have no problems with jobs, I`ve lived in 3 different counties since qualified and was able to get a good job in each county before I had to move. The course is pretty good has nice range of subjects and there work placement program is fantastic

Advertisement