Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best lunches in south dub city center

• 22-01-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Any suggestion for good and cheap places to eat in Dublin city centre, just started a new job in town but think ill be spending a fortune on lunches. Ate in nude today, quite good and cheap.

Any suggestions anyone?

Comments

How south are you? Theres lots of good places on Baggott Street, if that suits

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sinkingfish

I'm on Dawson St, so pretty central, just looking for some recommendations.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Cafe les Amies in the Alliance Française (Trinity end of Kildare Street) is lovely and very reasonably priced. The only problem is that there is a bit of a scramble for seats between 1 and 2 however most people in there are quite reasonable about sharing.

Yummy brie sambos for a fiver.

Good call tSubh Dearg, tried the brie sambo and my friend had the toasted mozzarella melt or something or other. The brie was nice but the toasted one was much nicer IMHO. Any other hot tips? Anyone?

Another suggestion is George's on South Frederick St opposite Dunne and Crecenzi. It's really good food and you get a main course and tea/coffee for €9. It's yummy! I love their chicken.

They also (if you have the time and inclination) do 2 courses and tea/coffee for €13.

• Advertisement

Must check that out. Went to a place today, rhubarb cafe I think it was called, just off baggot st lower. Really really really nice, big fresh sambos for about a fiver. I had the special, cajan chicken fajitas. And the best thing, got a seat!

Definitely be going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Acapulco, the Mexican restaurant on Georges St, does a lunch menu which is very reasonable.. a main course for less than 6 euro, and delicious to boot! Can get a bit hectic around lunnchtime though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Mo-Mo's on Aungier Street opposite the DIT. I don't know how I managed to walk past it for so many years but I'm a believer now. You'd think the presence of so many students from the College of Surgeons would have clued me in. It's North African (Algerian) food. Their kebabs are much better than Iskanders and Zaytoon's and cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

I think the Farm is nearby - beside Trailfinders.

Was in there before (on a weekend) and I enjoyed it.

Linky: http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/The_Farm.aspx

I'm pretty sure that have lunch specials - but I cant be certain

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

How can you be 'sure' but not 'certain'?? Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Singer73 wrote: »
    Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

No. Nothing like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

quazzy wrote: »
    I think the Farm is nearby - beside Trailfinders.

Was in there before (on a weekend) and I enjoyed it.

Linky: http://www.menupages.ie/Restaurants/The_Farm.aspx

I'm pretty sure that have lunch specials - but I cant be certain

The service at lunchtime (in an empty restaurant) was a disgrace when I tried it. The food was cold and it took too long for them to take orders, deliver food, give the bill, take the money, give the change. I definitely won't be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

cafe zihno on aungier st. opposite the college, great sambos, fresh made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Singer73 wrote: »
    How can you be 'sure' but not 'certain'?? Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

hmmm good point...

but I think you know what I mean.

p.s. welcome to boards

Oobie wrote: »
    The service at lunchtime (in an empty restaurant) was a disgrace when I tried it. The food was cold and it took too long for them to take orders, deliver food, give the bill, take the money, give the change. I definitely won't be going back.
    The Farm are incredibly hit and miss at lunch time during the week. Sometimes they are spot on, have you order taken and nice hot food to your table within 10-15 mins of arriving, other times (like last week when I was last there) it took 10 mins to take my order and about 25 mins to get my food leaving me with about 10 mins to eat it in. Not brilliant.

No special lunch prices really either.

Advertisement