Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 network down?

• 22-01-2008 8:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place, apologies if its not. But does anyone know if the o2 network is down? My phone is telling me i have no access to the network & my mothers is doing something similar.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

O2 network is currently down here (in Cabinteely area).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Same here - Greystones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Down in Killiney also - Major outage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

im in wicklow so not too far off. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Dublin 15.
    Working fine.

1909 has automated message saying loss of coverage in South Dublin and Wicklow areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Aye! Twas in Dun Laoghaire earlier and the gf and I had the same problem...back in Greystones and still the same...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

Dead as a dodo in Bray, thought my old 6310i was on it's last legs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

still screwed up in dalkey, been up and down all evening since about 6pm

back up in sandyford about 30 mins ago and in city centre now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Still down in Shankill. Nothing on their site.

• Advertisement

Still down as of 23:40 in Greystones:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

its still down, what a load of crap.i need my phone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

just put my sim in to a new phone as the network crashed.....spent ages wondering what was wrong with it!

Is it still down for everyone else? Mine is still dead

Yes, mine is still dead..
    Remember, you can dial 086 5 xxxxxxx, to get access to your voice mailbox (from a domestic phone line). I just found out my dental appt got moved by an hour.. Damnit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Still down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

foxy06 wrote: »
    just put my sim in to a new phone as the network crashed.....spent ages wondering what was wrong with it!

Is it still down for everyone else? Mine is still dead

You did it!

again still bloody down!! how much money have they lost by now.

again still bloody down!! how much money have they lost by now.

& how many customers.. ive been thinking about moving to meteor cause its cheaper, this has made the decision for me.

Strange that a network outage of this duration hasn't been picked up by the news media. Anyone got word on when we might expect service back? Nothing on the O2 website and the recorded message on 1909 is still the same as last night - "engineers working on the problem blah ...."

just found a webpage confirming the outage i love that they say "some customers" how many is "some" ?

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Latest%20news%20and%20offers

• Advertisement

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0123/02.html

basically they copied and pasted the O2 news release!

Cheers - thanks for the info.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0123/02.html

basically they copied and pasted the O2 news release!

and its only being reported 18hours after the problem first started.

Had to go searching but found this: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0123/02.html
    Thousands of O2 customers in the east of Ireland are without a service because of a hardware fault.

O2 said that a fault on a mast at Three Rock mountain in Dublin means customers in the south Dublin and Wicklow areas are experiencing a disruption to coverage.

The company says efforts to rectify the fault are being hampered by strong winds at the site of the mast, which are posing a health and safety risk.

It says it hopes to restore a full service to affected customers as soon as possible.

oops got there before me!

yay its back! :D

looks like the o2 man finally made it up the mast! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭billbond4

Im sure no mobile network operator would report to the public every fault they have.
    They would have to update it daily.
    People would switch to the operator who "say" they have the most reliable network.
    Its just the weather stopping the lads going up on the mast, just enjoy the silence and wait till you get a big load of texts and voicemails

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Am I the only one still out?

This happened for about half an hour last week as well.

I boght a vodafone phone today and I wouldnt say I was the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Peared wrote: »
    Am I the only one still out?

Try restarting the phone. In fairness to O2, they can't control the weather which caused the delays getting the service back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

gillo wrote: »
    Try restarting the phone. In fairness to O2, they can't control the weather which caused the delays getting the service back.

try explaining that to the everyday public "but i spend loads on my phone why cant you make the service come back?!"

sigh, you'd wonder about people sometimes

krudler wrote: »
    try explaining that to the everyday public "but i spend loads on my phone why cant you make the service come back?!"
    sigh, you'd wonder about people sometimes
    I'm sorry, but a 24 hour outage is unacceptable, for what could feasibly be up to 100,000 customers. The outage occurred at around 6pm yesterday and wasn't restored until late today (for most customers). O2's suggestion that the fault happened 'earlier' is spin.

It wasn't weather that caused the original problem. Bad weather isn't exactly unexpected in this country either, particularly at the top of Tree Rock. Did they not plan for this eventuality?

Sigh, I'd be more inclined to wonder about the people who blindly accept poor service levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm sorry, but a 24 hour outage is unacceptable, for what could feasibly be up to 100,000 customers. The outage occurred at around 6pm yesterday and wasn't restored until late today (for most customers). O2's suggestion that the fault happened 'earlier' is spin.

It wasn't weather that caused the original problem. Bad weather isn't exactly unexpected in this country either, particularly at the top of Tree Rock. Did they not plan for this eventuality?

Sigh, I'd be more inclined to wonder about the people who blindly accept poor service levels.

the site causing the problems couldnt be gotten to today due to bad weather causing a health hazard, i struggle to believe anyone who posts on here would risk their neck climbing a phone mast in strong winds to fix it, these things happen,it isnt a bad level of service its circumstances beyond the networks control

1/ What part of bad weather stopping engineers climbing masts don't you understand? Using a mobile isn't a life and death situation, climbing 50 feet up a transmission mast is.

2/ In this situation the I'm quite sure that the majority of people affected would have accepted that there was nothing that could be done.

Sorry to be the one to say it but
    COP ON YOU WHINNING ****'** MAGGOT

See you folks after the my ban, but I really fell that that needed to be said.

I'm not Whining. I'm providing a structured and balanced argument, rather than an insulting, childish and churlish response. Please point out to me exactly where I moaned? What if the service had been something else, like your ESB? Access to the funds in your Bank Account? Public transport? Would you still find it acceptable?

I notice you have a problem with mobile phone jammers in cinemas. You can't be disconnected for an hour and a half while you're in the cinema because you have a child, and yet it's ok to knock out thousands of people's access for 24 hours? The irony.:( I also notice that you suggested that surgeons, Mountain Rescue, and the RNLI need constant access to their phone. But you also said that using a mobile phone isn't a life and death situation? :confused:

Are you an O2 employee gillo, or do you sell mobile phones for some other company? Do they work with O2? Are you representing O2 officially?

So, please respond once again. Tell us which mobile phone selling company you work for, and if you wish, include your petty insults.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    the site causing the problems couldnt be gotten to today due to bad weather causing a health hazard, i struggle to believe anyone who posts on here would risk their neck climbing a phone mast in strong winds to fix it, these things happen,it isnt a bad level of service its circumstances beyond the networks control
    Thank you for your polite and constructive response. My argument is that:
    1) There should be an alternative mast available in case of such emergencies, or at least some form of fall-back emergency procedure. I'm not suggesting that an engineer should need to risk life and limb to repair a mast. Isn't the O2 customer typically connected to a number of masts at any one time?

2) The ESB have to deal with these problems all of the time, and these are predominantly caused during and by bad weather. Perhaps O2 can learn from the ESB's practices. I would imagine that their job is a little more life-threatening.

By the way, if it's not impolite to ask, do you work for O2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

1) There should be an alternative mast available in case of such emergencies, or at least some form of fall-back emergency procedure. I'm not suggesting that an engineer should need to risk life and limb to repair a mast. Isn't the O2 customer typically connected to a number of masts at any one time?

A Customer is typically connected to the mast/cell with the strongest signal or lowest use. The phone will have a knowledge of the cells in the area and will "roam" to the most appropriate cell.

The issue here is not one of "last mile" but of distribution. 3 Rock is not where your phone communicates to, but is most likely where the base station that feeds individual cells is located. A failure here is a big problem.

Yes there is resilience, but who is to say what failed ! As they had to get H&S clearance it's probable that they had to climb the mast so chances are it was a Dish/Radome failure or misalignment. It may also be that they were denied access to the Mast area due to the risk of falling debris etc. This scenatio is not uncommon at other mast high-sites. This would have stopped them doing any work at all !

If it was a Dish / Radome it is not a trivial fix. You have to organise access to site, rig the mast and climb. You need to have isolated power to the dish before working on it etc. You may need to ask other customers with dishes / radio kit on the tower to power down while you work on your kit if it is in the way. This stuff is not like your Irish Broadband antenna or FM radio stuff... It's Microwave technology for the most part.
    2) The ESB have to deal with these problems all of the time, and these are predominantly caused during and by bad weather. Perhaps O2 can learn from the ESB's practices. I would imagine that their job is a little more life-threatening.

Big difference here.... A dish on the top of a mast up 3 Rock could be a whole lot higher than the transmission towers ESB have. They are usually also not on the top of the tallest bit of ground around.

Bear in mind where we are talking about here - the top of 3 Rock Mountain ( or hill ! ). Have a look at it - The Aircraft warning beacons give a hit to it's size and exposed position. It is simply a nightmare of a place to work if the weather gods are against you.

By the way, if it's not impolite to ask, do you work for O2?

I certainly don't, but I have services from microwave dishes up 3 Rock, Mt. Leinster etc. to my sites so can understand the problems that crop up.

Thank you for the detailed and factual response. My issue is more specifically related to the lack of contingency, than the difficulty associated with repairing the fault. I know the area well, being a frequent hiker in these (and more extreme locations).

<tongue in cheek> I presume these mast and microwave dishes require electricity too. If you didn't have power for the microwave dishes for 24 hours, do you feel you'd have cause for complaint? <end tongue in cheek> ;)

Anyway, apologies to all for de-railing this thread, and forcing it down an undesirable path. I have expressed my opinion directly to O2, which is a more effective means of dealing with my dissatisfaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

<tongue in cheek> I presume these mast and microwave dishes require electricity too. If you didn't have power for the microwave dishes for 24 hours, do you feel you'd have cause for complaint? <end tongue in cheek> ;)

You would be surprised... You would have a number of supply options up on top of a high site. Most will have UPS or a generator as well as a ground supply.

I know of a number of smaller high sites in truely remote area's that rely on a wind turbine to power up a battery bank. Works brilliantly unless you have no wind for a few days.

When I agreed to take wireless services, I agreed to force majure allowances which allow for breaks to service level agreements.

It's just the way it works I'm afraid. For a lot of locations around Dublin, the only one high site you can see consistantly is 3 Rock - so if you get a problem it usually a biggie....

Who I do or don't work for is not of any importance. When I use boards, I do so as an individual, I only post my own opinion's. I don't post on behalf of my employer and have never given the impression that I do. With regard to your comment about the emergency services; full time emergency services use a different system to mobiles, the mountain rescue use pager's to notify member's, I'm not sure about the RNLI so I won't comment.

• Advertisement

service is back up... i don't see a point for people to be arguing with eachother...

gillo, insulting other posters is against the rules, repeat and your posting privilege will be removed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement