Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Birthday Alice

• 22-01-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭

My mother, Alice, would be 55 today if she was still alive. I saw someone do this for their Dad on PI a while back and I liked the idea of it. I'm posting it here because I thought that this is the kind of place that, as a raging feminist, she could have really caused some very heated arguments in! Also posting it here because a lot of you may remember reading about her on this thread.

Anyway, she died over ten years ago and I just thought that it might be nice to talk about her today. She was a wonderful person and not a day goes by that I don't wish that I could talk to her or get advice from her or even just sit with her. I was 11 when she died and we were incredibly close. I often wonder how we would have gotten on as I became an adult. I'd like to think we'd have grown even closer but I'll never really know I suppose.

All I can say is that I loved her with every ounce of my being and I am so grateful that I got to be her daughter. I love the person that I have become and I know that it is all down to the person that she was and the wonderful way in which she raised me.

She taught me that everyone has the ability to do whatever they want and that nothing could ever stop me if I was determined enough. She also taught me that everyone deserves to be loved and that we can only have a chance in life if somebody shows us love and compassion. She taught me the exquisite joy and pain of humanity in every way and I am glad that I know both sides.

Alice, you will not be forgotten as long as I am alive. I may get older but I will always be your child and you may not be here but you will always be my mother. My beautiful, intelligent, timeless mother.

Happy birthday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Happy birthday Alice..

That was beautiful LadyJ - Im sure she is very proud of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Beautiful LadyJ. Just beautiful. She's still with you in your heart, you have a Guardian Angel. That was a lovely tribute to her.

Happy Birthday Alice x

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Happy Birthday Alice :)

LadyJ, your mam would be proud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Wow. I just shed a tear. That was lovely.

Happy Birthday Alice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Thats really sad, but a really lovely tribute LadyJ.

Happy Birthday Alice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Ladies and Gents, lets raise our glasses to Alice...

Happy Birthday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

*Raises glass*

Thanks for the kind words ladies. It's nice to share this with you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Happy birthday Alice. Speaking as someone who lost her mum at a young age aswell (10 year anniversary May last year) that was such a moving tribute Lady J, i have a lump in my throat as i type. Beautiful words of wisdom from a 21 year old - Alice has so much to be proud of x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

:')

*raises glass*

happy birthday alice, and beautifully written ladyj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

WOW! as a guy reading this I realise how wrong i am about the young ladies of today. I thought most of them were all bravado and 'new wimmin' But LadyJ you have brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throught. I raise my glass to you and your Mother Alice. Always remember, as long as you remember those who have passed, they are never gone.

I lost my parents 8yrs ago in a RTA while they were in Spain, I still remember the arguements me and my mum used to have, but also now realise that she was only honoring a promise she made to my natural mother, (I was adopted at 6weeks), when she handed me over she said 'You will look after him wont you?' My mum sometimes was overprotective, but it was because she loved me.

It's funny you don't realise what you got til it's gone. Anyway, I must go to the loo now, I've got something in my eye!

Keep smiling :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

happy birthday alice.

LadyJ that was beautiful.

i bet your mother would really proud of you :)

Advertisement