Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Alarm Queries

Options
  • 22-01-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

In house a few years and thinking of getting an alarm.
    House is not wired for one so was thinking of wire free.
    I am open to one I could fit myself or one that would need to be fitted by a professional.

Does anyone know if I got a wire free one could I bring it with me if I moved (not saying I would but just interested)

I am living in North Tipp area.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jvm76

Hi alx,

i'm in north Tipp also and got a wireless alarm over a year ago. so far its been problem free. you can programme up to 8 mobile numbers into it who are notified of any activation via text & automated phonecall so the gaurds can be rang straight away. i trust it a lot more than monitored alarms which are a rip off for the annual charge.you can also set or cancel the alarm via text message (if you left the house and forgot to set it for instance).

it also notifys you if you're electricity is off for more than half an hour... cost around €1400 (installed by pro) and the only after cost is AA batteries for the sensors every year. the alarm can be taken with you when moving house too....can pass on details to you if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Thanks for that. Yes pass on details please.

Do you need a landline for the mobile notifications ?

If I do take it with me I don't suppose you have any idea how much the de/re-installation costs would be ?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭derby7

Because its wireless, shouldn't you be able to install it yourself, ie. just bring da sensors & control unit with you? i know a friend of mine bought his wireless alarm on eBay for €350 & installed it himself !

derby7 - any idea what alarm he bought ?

GSM Home Security alarm (on eBay)
    ...actually that should read £350 sterling (ahem)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

See if you can get the manual for this alarm before purchasing. You'll need to know how to register each of the RF devices manually. The seller may or may not include this info by default - he's offering it as a 'service'.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200178146024&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=360019521513&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

10-10-20 wrote: »
    See if you can get the manual for this alarm before purchasing. You'll need to know how to register each of the RF devices manually. The seller may or may not include this info by default - he's offering it as a 'service'.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200178146024&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RCRX_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=360019521513&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Hey,

Thanks for the post. On the listing they suggest there are instructions but I have mailed them there to confirm. Even in the text of the extra service you mention they say technically minded people should be ok without this. I'd like to think I'm technically minded :)

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks for the post. On the listing they suggest there are instructions but I have mailed them there to confirm. Even in the text of the extra service you mention they say technically minded people should be ok without this. I'd like to think I'm technically minded :)

They got back to me super-quick.

"The pairing is not difficult, it is all explained in the manual. We put the setup service really for some older customers. "

I'm thinking I might go for it.
    Last chance for someone to jump in and dissuade me :)

Just wondering what are the legal ramifications/consequences of installing it yourself....... I've heard you can be fined (not sure how much)? But I don't know who police's/controls this !

Anyone know what the story is here....

ie. I just got a quote from a licenced installer for a wireless alarm, 2 PIR's & 15window/door contacts for ahem ....€1700, or a camera set-up for €2500.
    This is deffo OTT. If I left my doors open, the burglars would take less!

• Advertisement

Thats mad re legal ramifications if true. I mean I could understand if I said on my house insurance that I had an alarm (due to fact I installed myself) but if I don't say anything to insurance company then what the hell am I getting fined for ?

Attempting to protect my house ?
    Jaysus lock me up and throw away the fecking key.
    Bertie you're off the hook...move over and let me take the hotseat in the tribunal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

AFAIK you can diy install an alarm without any legal ramifications but you can't use that to get lower insurance. However you cannot get someone else to install it unless they are registered.

Can someone (in the know) let us know for sure what the legal situation is here: ie. can I install my own alarm or do I have to fork out €2000 to the Irish Tiger........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

my understanding of the legal bit is alarm installers have to be licenced via the psa to install alarms for profit. if you or somebody else installs it foc you are exempt. to get discount on your home insurance your insurance company will seek a cert from the nsai which is usually provided by the company who installs the alarm.in the near future cctv will fall under the same criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

TKK wrote: »
    AFAIK you can diy install an alarm without any legal ramifications but you can't use that to get lower insurance. However you cannot get someone else to install it unless they are registered.

^ This is correct.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

At the end of the day any system you install yourself or buy on ebay will not be certified to EN50131. If you are claiming a discount on your insurance for such a system you could find your policy null & void in the case of a claim. €2000 would not be OTT for a professionally installed system IMO

Advertisement