Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budget visability -

Options
  • 22-01-2008 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭

i've been feeling a bit inconspicuous out there in the dark these last few weeks, and inconspicuousness can lead to death/injury. i really don't want the last words i hear to be "sorry mate, i didn't see you".

i wear lights (2 sets!) but i don't think they're that effective at dusk when it's not yet dark enough for them to really stand out, so i had a look around for some high viz reflective material to help. turns out it's quite expensive to buy on its own (at leat the sticky back 3M stuff) but i had a brainwave as to where i got "procure" some at no cost. traffic cones.

so yesterday i liberated a couple of cones of their wrapping on the way home and got out the craft-knife and double sided tape and turned this
    reflectth9.th.jpg
    into this
    bikegl5.th.jpg (click for the big picture)

i think it works quite well, but i have the feeling i'm treading the fine line between genius and stupid. which is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Bloody good idea, I'd say.

Where'd you get the double-sided sticky tape, though? I've been looking for that sh*t since my Blue Peter-watching days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Where'd you get the double-sided sticky tape, though? I've been looking for that sh*t since my Blue Peter-watching days.

eh, eason? dunno really, it was just in the house from the xmas pressie wrapping activities. it's not really strong enough to hold the stuff on on its own. it's held on with black electrical tape (which is a very good match for my matte-black paintwork) at the ends too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was only looking at some today on the way home thinking the same thing! sandyford is brimming with cones! I have a good bright light on my bike, and certain things show it up really well, traffic cones are the best. I would feel bad nicking good ones, but there are plenty of crushed ones about if you look.

I did look at buying and it is really dear as you mention. Duct tape should hold it on well in all weather. It also cheapens the look of the bike, so maybe less likely to be nicked. CRC sell them but they are not great, even ebay was expensive. I did think of getting those vests and cutting them up, but vests with good reflective stuff is expensive, and I reckon the cones use top notch stuff

You can also get glow in the dark paint, but my lights tell me those cones are king.

I would put a bit more on the back of the frame too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Maybe a little bit excessive, but its your call. Should do the job alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Let’s hope you don’t cycle into a vandalised traffic cone some day. If the fall doesn’t kill you, the irony will.

But sure a hi-viz is only €2 or something? Go to the Camdem Casket and those sort of stores.
    Also, someone posted before about emailing Luas to get free reflective bands, which I did do and did receive and do wear.

I’ve been toying with the idea of shredding my hi viz and using it to cover my backpack, and any remnants I’ll sow to my shoes. That’ll give better visibility and will incidentally waterproof my backpack and shoes.

Other than that, I just have to rely on my incandescent angelic glow.

• Advertisement

Have you tried setting fire to your hair? Works a treat on country roads.

I’ve been toying with the idea of shredding my hi viz and using it to cover my backpack, and any remnants I’ll sow to my shoes. That’ll give better visibility and will incidentally waterproof my backpack and shoes.

Other than that, I just have to rely on my incandescent angelic glow.

My leg hair? Of course.
    It increases visibility and it's much easier than shaving.

I recommend waxing the legs first; each leg hair becomes a kind of miniature candle, thereby sustaining the flame that bit longer.
    My leg hair? Of course.
    It increases visibility and it's much easier than shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

lol, those last few posts gave me a very theraputic giggle.

The idea seems sound enough, but the greatest surface area is on the cyclist, rather than the bike. A high viz vest/jacket or even backpack cover would give greater visibility from all angles.

Nevertheless, it's a fine idea.

I particualrly like the 'death by irony' reference B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

niceonetom wrote: »
    i wear lights (2 sets!) but i don't think they're that effective at dusk when it's not yet dark enough for them to really stand out...

All you need now is for every driver to have their lights on when its dusk!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Niceonetom lives up to his name. Spiffing idea. Also protects the frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

For generations students in Dublin have been finding innovative uses for cones. This is the best one yet.

Would a good place to put some be on the cranks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

carpet tape most diystores sell it

vandalising cones hmm they are hard enough to see from a car sometimes be a bit annoyed if i hit one

Just out of interest, how do you remove the reflective stuff on traffic cones?
    Does it just slip off, is it glued on and you’ve to tear it off, or if you use a knife will that wreck the laminate?

there is a bit of glue alright but not strong stuff. i carry a leatherman so i just sliced along the seam and robert is, as they say, your mother's brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

brilliant niceonetom.
    And to think i was going to destry my viz vest for its stripes. will take a trip up to sandyford this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

niceonetom wrote: »
    but i had a brainwave as to where i got "procure" some at no cost. traffic cones.

At no cost to you. I hope you don't moan next time someone liberates or damages any of your property.

At no cost to you. I hope you don't moan next time someone liberates or damages any of your property.

you're absolutely right. well done you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Just read this now.

Nice one, eh, tom...:p

I was so impressed with the idea that I took a spin out towards sandyford and did indeed find some gleaming traffic cones(thanks rubadub). I rescued the forlorn and unloved wrappers from two cones and stayed up far past my bedtime taping them to my bike. I went for more coverage than tom and I think it looks great (in the dark). The material is perfect, waterproof, very reflective and wipes clean. Pictures to follow.

• Advertisement

Oops...looks like you've started a movement...

Will niceonetom be annoyed if everyone does this? I think I'm going to have a shot at it.

Will niceonetom be annoyed if everyone does this? I think I'm going to have a shot at it.

YES. HE WILL. i wanted confirmation of my genius, not a legion of imitators! anyone found with any improvised reflective material on their bike/person/vehicle/child/pet will be beaten repeatedly about the head with a ulock until appropriate royalties are forthcoming. you have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Any Wooides, Atlantic or hardware store should have it.

until appropriate royalties are forthcoming
    Very well, I’ll give a euro to the corpo

Lads, I dunno. This vandalisation of traffic cones is fierce immordle. What will happen to the Minis and the Puntos of Dublin when, come Friday and Saturday nights, they find themselves bereft of the shiny bands on their little hats...?

In her shining glory,
    niceonetom if you give me all your credit card details ill definately pay you the fee for using your idea (ill also arrange for an african diplomat to put all his cash in there too!)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We won't have any trouble spotting Boards members on their bikes now, at least at night.

Harpz, your bike looks like a pimp mobile

Harpz wrote: »
    In her shining glory,

Your bike looks like Tron!!

Tron%20-%20Widescreen%20-%20AC3%20%5BXviD%5D-3.png

• Advertisement

Hmm. You've just given me an idea for what to do with all that "spare" neon tube lighting on O'Connell Street...
    unionman wrote: »
    Your bike looks like Tron!!

Tron%20-%20Widescreen%20-%20AC3%20%5BXviD%5D-3.png

Advertisement