Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanad Broadband Bill

Options
  • 22-01-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Good evening all,

This afternoon on TodayFM's "The Last Word", Matt Cooper interviewed Senator Shane Ross on issues regarding the dire state of Broadband availability in Ireland.

Mr Ross let it be known that he will be introducing a private member's Bill when the Seanad resumes next week. The Bill, he says will address the high cost; the low speeds; and the poor availability of Broadband in the country at present. Mr Ross asked that anyone who has had a poor experience in relation to Broadband or who has suggestions to make would email him at shane.ross@oireachtas.ie

The elements of Senators Ross's Bill are summarised in his online blog today: http://www.shane-ross.ie/archives/288/broadband-bill-to-be-published/#more-288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

Cheers for the reminder, heard that interview on the radio myself and made a mental note to send my tupence off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

I fear the email server will be crippled :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What power have the Seanad? Is there anything going to come of this? Are they gonna sack Comreg & give us a proper regulator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

The Seanad will pretty much just put it on the agenda for the Dail I think although someone will slam me on that in a minute :D

Then its up to the Dail who are as useless as drunk monkeys at the wheel of a lorry. This isn't the first time Shane has done something like this, he is the only hope for Irish Broadband. It hasn't had much effect so far though. Hopefully this will have an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Well, quite an amount of modern legislation was initiated in the Seanad!

And if a Bill succeeds in its readings in the Seanad it would be imprudent of the Government and the Dail to ignore it. The Bill would, going on all past examples, be accepted and passed -- albeit possibly with adjustments -- by the Government.

Besides, I believe it would be a good exercise to have this issue debated in the Oireachtas once and for all.

• Advertisement

Addendum to above .............

After all, the Seanad is intended as an advisory body to the Dail. When the Seanad recommends a proposal, the Dail/Government is expected to act upon it.

Oh I don't doubt that they will but Shane has been very active on this in the past and the government has ignored it. He needs all the support he can get from us to let him know that there is a huge number of Irish people behind him supporting this bill.

He probably didn't bring a bill in the past or something and just raised it for discussion or something that didn't get it the recognition from the Dail it required. I wasn't following that closely really but noticed his name quite a bit on the issue of broadband in newspapers etc... He seems to be the only one that gets how important broadband is to our countries future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Sent mine but it still wont do anything for getting my exchange updated :(

Perhaps it will, Strongr! After all, that is an element of the Bill -- Broadband for all by allowing more competitive services and trimming Eircom's monopolistic mis-handling of the local exchange upgrading. And the Bill also calls for an examination of the viability of a Government-funded National network.

What you say is true Brim4 .......... just that in the past it was only discussion; now, ( at least next week) it will be officially "on the agenda" via the Seanad and the Government will no longer be able to ignore the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tck wrote: »
    I fear the email server will be crippled :D

if it was, it would give lie to the sujbect matter.........no ??:p :p

Far better that people would WRITE to him in the post, telling him they couldn't email him........:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I feel everybody should email Shane to thank him. He has been by far the best politician on the subject of Broadband in Ireland for many many years.

shane.ross@oireachtas.ie

There is no daylight between Shanes long held positions on the subject and the desires of the members of this forum. All we want is decent internationally comparable services at decent internationally comparable prices.

Late last year Shane moved ( again) that BB be provisioned Universally. The Greens and FF shot the motion down. They have shot down plenty of similar Seanad motions in the past , about one a year every year for the past 6 or 7 years.

Shane Ross introduced them all.

http://www.shane-ross.ie/archives/280/seanad-votes-24-to-19-against-universal-broadband-provision/

Ryan was a disgrace , the man is grossly incompetent at best ....if not mendacious and slimy which is what I think of him.

Ryan obviously does not give a sh1t about rural folks ....evidently preferring that they move en masse to the towns and cities and get the fuk out of the way of his bicycles.
    Last week, I put down the following motion for debate in the Seanad: “That Seanad Éireann deplores the failure of the Government to ensure broadband access in every home and business in Ireland.”
    During a heated 2 hour debate, addressed by 2 Ministers, I told the House that I am staggered by the lack of interest, alarm and urgency of Members when confronting the problem of broadband provision. It is an absolutely essential part of the infrastructure of a modern state, and it is disgraceful that we remain at the wrong end of every league table in terms of broadband penetration.
    Both Minister Ryan and Minster Killeen heaped praise on themselves for their diabolical performance! Their contributions were defined by smug self-congratulation and complacency. However, we must stop celebrating mediocrity and solve this deficit as a matter of urgency. Here are some highlights from the debate:
    Lest the Minister thinks I am being alarmist, I will quote Mr. John McElligott, head of eBay in this country. It is a very important company in terms of hi-tech, broadband and multinationals and Mr. McElligott has done something which chief executives of most multinationals in this area will not do. He has put his head a bit above the parapet and has said some pretty alarming things in recent weeks. He has said he is embarrassed about our connectivity problems
    He says that our broadband situation is affecting inward foreign direct investment and will continue to do so. We ignore that sort of warning from someone at the coalface at our peril. The Minister should listen to Mr. McElligott and bodies like the Irish Internet Association.
    There is a mindset in this House and among the Government and Civil Service that broadband somehow can be put on the back burner. I wish the Minister of State would give us a commitment tonight that within a very short period of time, he will not blame Eircom for not unbundling the loop, because that is disgraceful, but make it unbundle it. He should not blame someone else. The buck stops with the Minister. If Eircom is dragging its feet, let us get it to stop.
    This is a case for Government interference and subsidy, if necessary, and for the Government to insist that every house and business in Ireland automatically has access to broadband. If it costs money, use it. The Government spends enough money on roads, railways and air services. This is just as vital. Let the Minister give us a commitment that, within a very short period of time, every house and business in Ireland will clearly have the access to broadband which is essential if we are to be a modern and vibrant economy.
    Unfortunately, my motion was defeated by 24 votes to 19. To see the full text of the debate, including the responses of Ministers Eamon Ryan and Tony Killeen, click here.

But at least he is trying again a month later.

Support Shane Please !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Excellent bill. Let's hope somehow the targets can be met in the timeframes he specified. I emailed him to wish him the best of luck with it.

I further recommend you ALL cc ALL your local TDs and Senators when thanking Shane, and also that yoke Eamonn Ryan and his somewhat less mendacious and useless sidekick Tony Killeen

At least Tony admits that he is on a Group Broadband Scheme and is thankful for it.

Good man, SpongeBob!

Only comment I would make is that whereas the other occasions you refer to, this time it is a Private Member's Bill rather than a pedestrian "motion for debate". The PMB is a class of animal with much sharper teeth and claws than the usual desultory motion for debate. Far more cognisance and regard is given to a PMB, and it is not so easy to sweep it under the carpet. I honestly believe something might come out of this.

Not while Eamonn Ryan is in charge of anything :(

cc his boss John Gormley who is nowhere near as mendacious as Eamonn. Tell him to find another Green TD to deal with BB, pronto maximus style. ANY Green TD but Ryan FFS :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I just added my support to Shane there now. I was trying to copy other TDs and ministers, but you wouldn't believe the hardship in finding an email address for them. Minister Ryan has no email on his stie, his Blog, the Green's site, the boradband.gov.ie site or on the Oireachtas site. I finally found this one, which I hope will work minister@dcmnr.gov.ie

A communications minister that either doesn't have, or won't publish, an email address, is not a minister I'd put any credence in.

Well most of them struggle to check/read/reply to emails so its no surprise that they don't have them on their sites.

The above address probably goes to his secretary for screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Unfortunately, my motion was defeated by 24 votes to 19.

Do we know who the 24 senators were? Might be time to drop them a line, these guys seem to have their heads stuck in the sand. Nothing focuses the mind more than a lot of correspondence from local constituents.

Today on BBC News they have an article about a company called H2O running fibre network via sewers, they plan to roll out 100mb network by Autumn. Full story here.

H2O also featured on working lunch, video here.

I've emailed Shane with an email so long he probably won't be able to read the whole thing not that he'll be able to read all our emails at all.

Keep up the work people so that we can make politician's aware of the extent of this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

brim4brim wrote: »
    The above address probably goes to his secretary for screening.

It sure does. I just got a reply from his secretary thanking me for copying the minister on my mail, and assuring me that it would be brought to his attention.

TBH, I'm not really expecting a follow up from Mr. Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Harryob1

i'm writing up a mail to send to Shane. Anybody got the e-mail addresses of the rest of them that i can cc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Seeing as how all politics is local, why not email the senator from your county and ask him/her if they will be supporting the bill?

Their email addresses are all in the same format i.e. firstname.surname@oireachtas.ie

Cavan:
    Joe O'Reilly (FG)
    Diarmuid Wilson (FF)

Cork:
    Dan Boyle (GP)
    Paul Bradford (FG)
    Jerry Buttimer (FG)
    Peter Callanan (FF)
    Eoghan Harris (Ind)
    Michael McCarthy (Lab)
    Denis O'Donovan (FF)
    Evening Echo: john.dolan@eecho.ie
    Corkman: newsdesk@corkman.ie

Dublin:
    Ms. Ivana Bacik (Ind)
    Martin Brady (FF)
    Larry Butler (FF)
    Ivor Callely (FF)
    Maria Corrigan (FF)
    Paschal Donohoe (FF)
    Frances Fitzgerald (FG)
    Tony Kett (FF)
    David Norris (Ind)
    Fiona O'Malley (PD)
    Ann Ormonde (FF)
    Feargal Quinn (Ind)
    Eugene Regan (FG)
    Brendan Ryan (Lab)
    Alex White (Lab)

Donegal:
    Pearse Doherty (SF)
    Cecilia Keaveney (FF)
    Brian O Domhnaill (FF)
    Donegal Democrat: ?

Galway:
    Ciaran Cannon (PD)
    Fidelma Healy Eames (FG)
    Ronan Mullen (Ind)
    Connacht Tribune: eileen@ctribune.ie

Kerry:
    Paul Coghlan (FG)
    Mark Daly (FF)
    Ned O'Sullivan (FF)
    Joseph O'Toole (Ind)
    Kerryman: editor@kerryman.ie

Kilkenny:
    John Paul Phelan (FG)
    Killkenny People: editor@kilkennypeople.ie

Laois:
    Kieran Phelan (FF)
    Laois Nationalist: news@laois-nationalist.ie

Leitrim:
    John Ellis (FF)
    Leitrim Observer: editor@leitrimobserver.ie

Louth:
    Mary White (FF)
    Dundalk Argus: johnmulligan@argus.ie

Mayo:
    Paddy Burke (FG)
    John Carty (FF)
    Mayo News: editor@mayonews.ie

Meath:
    Dominic Hannigan (Lab)
    Meath Chronicle: kennethg@meathchronicle.ie

Monaghan:
    Francis O'Brien (FF)

Offaly:
    Pat Moylan (FF)
    Offaly Independent: group@westmeathexaminer.ie

Roscommon:
    Terry Leyden (FF)
    Roscommon Herald: letters@roscommonherald.com

Sligo:
    Geraldine Feeney (FF)
    Marc MacSharry (FF)
    Sligo Champion: editor@sligochampion.ie

Tipperary:
    John Hanafin (FF)
    Alan Kelly (Lab)
    Labhras O Murchu (FF)
    Phil Prendergast (Lab)
    Tipperary Star: info@tipperarystar.ie

Waterford:
    Paudie Coffey (FG)
    Maurice Cummins (FG)
    Dungarvan Observer: news@dungarvanobserver.com

Wexford:
    Lisa McDonald (FF)
    Liam Twomey (FG)
    Jim Walsh (FF)
    Wexford Echo: rmahon@theecho.ie

Westmeath:
    Donie Cassidy (FF)
    Camillus Glynn (FF)
    Nicky McFadden (FG)
    Athlone Voice: etimmons@athlonevoice.ie

Wicklow:
    Deirdre De Burca (GP)
    Wicklow People: editor@peoplenews.ie

I think I have correct party designations and constituencies for all above. Full list is here. On Sponge Bob's suggestion below, I've also added an email address for the local paper.

Zaphod wrote: »
    Tony Kett (FF)

He is Dublin ( born in Galway thats all) and was a digger outer for Bertie . Love that well shod head of his I does :p Does not give a **** about BB .

Deirdre De Burca in Wicklow can easily be put under pressure on the subject as can Dan Boyle in Cork .

Anywhere you find two FF senators in a county you can have some happy hunting with them.

I am inclined to agree with Zaphod.

I believe it would be more focussed and effective to mail your local Senator(s) than to scatter-gun various TD's and Ministers. The reading of the Bill after all is taking place in the Seanad -- not the Dail. It would be an unnescessary and ultimately futile chore to go e-mailing TD's at this stage.

(Thanks, BTW, for putting up that list of Seanad members. Most helpful.)

Also, I forgot to say, :rolleyes:, do feel free to email Shane Ross with any suggestions for amendments to the Bill that you feel are needed -- and any of your bad experiences with Broadband. That is what he asked for in the first instance.

If there are two Sligo senators ( there are) then a Sligo person should write an open letter to the editor of the Sligo Champion insisting that these senators support this bill. Most of Sligo is a high speed BB wasteland and stands to benefit greatly .

If they do not do so then they must be called to account for their failures .....by Sligo people..in Sligo.

Dude,
    It's not just Sligo I can assure you!
    I live in Cork City (The Glen area -- locals will know it ) , about 2.5 kilometres from the Wellington Road enabled exchange and I'm on dial-up!!!

Dude,
    It's not just Sligo I can assure you!
    I live in Cork City (The Glen area -- locals will know it ) , about 2.5 kilometres from the Wellington Road enabled exchange and I'm on dial-up!!!

Does Senator Dan Boyle know why ??

Senator Boyle doesn't give a tuppenny ...............
    Unless I'm a tree-hugging, sandal-wearing, macro-biotic, cyclist!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

strongr wrote: »
    Sent mine but it still wont do anything for getting my exchange updated :(

I also e-mailed Shane Ross and got one back today from him thanking me for my support

Advertisement