Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Company car

Options
  • 22-01-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Simple, 33300 euro to spend on a new diesel car.

Whats the best to go for now rather than post July.

Must be diesel and new.

Mazda 6 140bhp se, Mondeo etc

Your thoughts please

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

1st Vw passat
    2nd Peugeot 407
    3rd volvo s40
    4th renault laguna
    well these would be my favourite cars in this range at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

1st Vw passat
    2nd Peugeot 407
    3rd volvo s40
    4th renault laguna
    well these would be my favourite cars in this range at the moment.

None of these float my boat as all except laguna will be old in 3 years and all bar passat have 1.5/1.6 engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Mondeo GHIA 2.0 TDCI (Manual)

Should come in around €33k with a few extras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Simple, 33300 euro to spend on a new diesel car.

Whats the best to go for now rather than post July.

Must be diesel and new.

Mazda 6 140bhp se, Mondeo etc

Your thoughts please

Don't have the figures to hand but I don't think there'll be much change in the Alfa Romeo 159 150bhp because the CO2 figure only drops it from 30% to 24% VRT (Correct if wrong, just something I noticed while comparing CO2 figures from TG mag against the new rules). The Mazda 6, for example has quite good CO2 so the drop will be from 30% to 20%.

Thinking of a diesel in that price range myself. Alfa is gorgeous - but it's an Alfa! Besides a decent spec is over 40 grand... Mazda 6 seems a good bet but Exec SE missing Bluetooth and a few other luxuries I'd like. Still, way more attractive than the whale-taled-Mondeo-that-ate-too-many-pies...

I have heard rumours that the SIMI are trying to postpone the CO2 changes 'til Jan '09 though (?)

• Advertisement

Mondeo GHIA 2.0 TDCI (Manual)

Should come in around €33k with a few extras

36795 plus extras

do you want a big car eg 407 or does it not matter eg 307/207

do you want a big car eg 407 or does it not matter eg 307/207

Need to be able to transport 3 largish kids plus company stock, so yes really

What car do drive now? are you into lots of gadgets, do you value comfort over sporty handling (not saying you can't have both) is a hatchback desirable to you?

well if you need a big car you dont have that much choice for that money. the cars i can think of are
    peugeot 407
    vw passat
    renault laguna
    skoda superb
    citroen c5
    toyota avensis
    volvo s40
    for mondeo
    opel vectra
    mazda 6
    nissan primera-although i think this is out of production

well these would be the main ones anyway

• Advertisement

you could also get some mini-mpv's like:
    VW Touran TDI Trendline
    SEAT Altea S TDI

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

citroen c5

Be careful if you are considering the C5 because this will arrive March/April.....no point in buying a model that is on the way out.

I can think of a few better reasons not to buy a C5....

crosstownk wrote: »
    Be careful if you are considering the C5 because this will arrive March/April.....no point in buying a model that is on the way out.

a fine looking car but a 1.6 110 bhp would struggle with its size and weight

2.0l would be expensive

well if you need a big car you dont have that much choice for that money. the cars i can think of are
    peugeot 407
    vw passat
    renault laguna
    skoda superb
    citroen c5
    toyota avensis
    volvo s40
    for mondeo
    opel vectra
    mazda 6
    nissan primera-although i think this is out of production

well these would be the main ones anyway

An Opel Vectra thats a blast from the past, I see they have some strong engines but anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Opel Vectra is being replaced in the next 6 months by the Insignia so I would hold off unless your getting a super discount on it.

The only Vectra model worth considering are the 1.9 CDTi diesels which are made by Fiat. Great engine, poor car though in my experience.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Opel Vectra is being replaced in the next 6 months by the Insignia so I would hold off unless your getting a super discount on it.

The only Vectra model worth considering are the 1.9 CDTi diesels which are made by Fiat. Great engine, poor car though in my experience.

Thanks bazz

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

When I started in my company I was told I will have a choice... unfortunately they bought a Volvo S40 1.6D which is crap. but when I was doing research regarding this Toyota Avensis was the thing. price is around 30K which is really competitive. it has 2liter D4D diesel with 6 speed gearbox which is great for high milage driving. equipment maybe not so great for 30000, but I guess another 1-2K would fix that a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

smitas5 wrote: »
    When I started in my company I was told I will have a choice... unfortunately they bought a Volvo S40 1.6D which is crap. but when I was doing research regarding this Toyota Avensis was the thing. price is around 30K which is really competitive. it has 2liter D4D diesel with 6 speed gearbox which is great for high milage driving. equipment maybe not so great for 30000, but I guess another 1-2K would fix that a lot.

Avensis is being replaced by a new model soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

smitas5 wrote: »
    equipment maybe not so great for 30000, but I guess another 1-2K would fix that a lot.

Not very often there are factory extras to put on Toyota's. On the Avensis I think you can specify a sunroof on some models and Metallic on all, but that's about it.

Nothing wrong with the Avenis, but there is better value for money out there - Mondeo, Mazda6 would be what I'd be looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

Well this is matter of opinion I think, but toyota website is not too bad and you can see there what is possible. you can get all you want there... GPS, foglights, alloys wheels really nice one's and so on. other than that it has 2.2 D4D which is animal on the road... the same as Lexus 220d with huge torque... well to me mondeo, new mazda and peugeot looks like a toy... too plastic too fragile.

Advertisement