Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about LAY bets

• 22-01-2008 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I'm only new to the "Lay bet" thing and wanted to ask some stuff.

Am i right is saying when I lay a team/horse i saying its not going to win ?

on bet for Tunisia are 3.7 lay what does that mean.. If i put €10 on that bet what will i win if they lose the match ? will i get €10 x 3.7 + €10 = €47 ?

sorry as i said i'm new to this lay betting,
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

No you will win a tenner if they lose or draw.
    if they win you will lose tenner x 3.7 = €37

ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

will i only win €10 cos thats all i bet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yes NeVer. Think of it from being in a betting shop. You place your bet at €10 @ 3/1. If you win the bookie hands you over €40, if you loose the keep your €10.

ah i see... so is every lay bet is always evens return.. ?

I take that it's not... as ppl would just lay 100/1's in races?

so before the bet goes live i need someone to match it ?... as in them betting it will win and match my bet amount ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Spot on NeVer.

People would lay 100's1 in races but only for small money. you could run the risk of laying a 100-1 shot and he wins! They do win every now on then.

• Advertisement

1 more thing..

If i lay say a 12/1 with €100 the Liability is €1,100 ,,, Do i need to have €1,100 in my account before i can even place that lay bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

NeVeR wrote: »
    1 more thing..

If i lay say a 12/1 with €100 the Liability is €1,100 ,,, Do i need to have €1,100 in my account before i can even place that lay bet?

Yup, now you've got it

check in your local bookshop or online for a book called winnning on Betfair for Dummies. I have read it and its very helpful.

thanks guys. now i know;)

I'll have a look for that book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Don't think of laying as backing or as an evens bet. By laying you are giving odds to backers (being the bookie).

Have a read through this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054910815

• Advertisement
Advertisement