Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog got hold of a chicken bone ...

Options
  • 22-01-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Elmo (black-lab)and I were going for a walk tonight after work , anyway in the dark grass he found a chicken bone , which i couldnt get out of his mouth.
    he demolished it ASAP before I confisgated it.
    50 metres up the park he got another one and this time it was a leg bone , it wasnt visible in the grass but he could smell it.
    anyway, knowing that i was going to attemp a wrestle to take the bone , Elmo swallowed a huge piece.
    he choked and chugged for a minute ,but got over it.

Now im worried if its going to do him any harm whilst passing the object ?

What do you do when your dog gets hold of a stray chicken bone ?... should i be getting him to drink water ? or eat food ? or just forget about it and hope it passes comfortably ?

Time to worry or not ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

LOL the little fecker :D I think the main problem is with them actually swallowing the bones as opposed to passing them. Would their stomach acids not at least soften it, if not completly digest it? I'm not sure, but I reckon he'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Most chicken bones these days are battery farmed and therefore so soft they don't usually cause huge problems. Keep a close eye on him for the next couple of days. If he shows any signs of difficulty pooing, reluctance to eat or drink or any unwellness at all get him straight to a vet regardless of the time.

Hope your doglet is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

My Staff cross hit the jackpot one Sunday afternoon. She managed to get a full roast chicken down off the kitchen counter - she polished off the whole thing, bones and all! She slept well that night. Otherwise she was fine (fish and chips for us!)

Elmo will be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Ha ha....a whole chicken the little scamp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

as above poster said, the main problem is swallowing... it's very easy to get bones stuck in a dogs neck... She should be fine but just keep an eye out for anything unusual....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The vet told me that he regularly has to operate on animals with perforated bowels from eating sharp bones - mainly poultry and mutton. So watch out for lassitude and feverishness. But 99% of the time dogs that eat chicken bones are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I wouldn't worry about it. Dogs are surprisingly resilliant when it comes to the things they eat. My old dog somehow ate a pack of 4 frozen chicken breasts once and came out alive once. I'd say the bone will be broken down in no time in the stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dizzydub

They're unreal aren't they. Ourf Jasper grabbed a mangled and very rotten roadkill cat from the side of a dark country road and refused to drop it. I was violently ill after forcing it out of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

Hello odd-job!

Elmo has eaten worse I am sure ;) !!! It's amazing how many chicken bones you can find strewn about the place when you are out walking the mutt!! Who eats chicken while walking the streets :confused:

Our last dog, the beloved Shadow (RIP) once consumed almost entirely a maltesers easter egg, (it's true!) He obviously couldn't resist the sweet smell of the chocolate inside, hence he ate through the tesco bag the box was in contained in, through the cardboard, and the plastic egg shaped support thing that holds the egg itself, then ate at least half of the tin foil to get to the egg itself. what a scamp!!!! :p

Advertisement