Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfield campus horrible???

Options
  • 22-01-2008 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Does anyone LIKE the Belfield campus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*raises hand*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Yep, always have ever since I first saw it in primary school. Wanted to go to UCD because of it long before I knew what course I wanted, happily it worked out that I could do my course there :)

Although I wish they'd stop cutting down trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭coverband

Do you not find it windy like the moors described in Wuthering Heights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

Not really. The buildings are really depressing. Its stuck in the middle of nowhere, the usual stuff. The rain the last few days made it even worse.

Big time ant, makes me anxious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I like the greenery. The buildings are crappy but they serve their function.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

For such a huge campus, it still seems rather... small. I'm a bit annoyed that I've paid this huge "student service fee", yet everything is expensive. (Why do we have to pay for drinking water?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

went in today to the arts cafe only because i'm doing an elective there. Normally in health sciences but its an even bigger rip-off there than it is in o'briens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Ah ther'es fountains in load of buildings etc.

Also I like the campus. Okay it's a wind tunnel but you've got the swans and the ducks.

The irish rugby team train here (my god how that made my day today, all anger for having a lecture in a prefab by richview was assuaged immediately).

I like they way it's spread out - it takes time to get places, you get to see people and stuff, I've loads of mates in UCC and i dunno - I don't like it as much it's all too packed together there.

I also have a thing for the whole communist/ block thing they've got going on. And I love the Health Science building and it's pods.

• Advertisement

ant043 wrote: »
    went in today to the arts cafe only because i'm doing an elective there. Normally in health sciences but its an even bigger rip-off there than it is in o'briens.

I generally stick to the SU shops. I was dissapointed today they stopped doing the whole muffin+coffee thing for 2 euro:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

There are water fountains in most buildings. And for those of you who dont like Belfield. Have you been to DCU? DIT? Trinners Arts Block?

Belfield is a paradise if you spend less time oogling the buildings and more time having a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Communist chic is all in at the moment.. well it has been here since roughly the late 60s.
    It serves its function.. don't let appearances decieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Mostly the campus reminds me of a "blade runner" dystopia, which can be a good or bad thing depending on my mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm convinced that if they gave the Arts block/library buildings a lick of white paint, the place would be improved immeasurably. Unfortunately, the way UCD works nowadays is that they build a new building rather than try and improve an old one :p

But Its So Feckin Windy!!!!!

Grimes wrote: »
    There are water fountains in most buildings. And for those of you who dont like Belfield. Have you been to DCU? DIT? Trinners Arts Block?

He is right, its less of a kip than those kips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

It is insanely windy, but then again, so is the entire neighborhood (she says after cycling to Stillorgan and nearly being blown into a bus). I like the campus itself, I just wish it were a bit closer to...anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

stolenwine wrote: »
    Mostly the campus reminds me of a "blade runner" dystopia, which can be a good or bad thing depending on my mood.
    hugh brady is definitely a replicant - that smile masking pitiless eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

It's January what do you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Communist chic is all in at the moment.. well it has been here since roughly the late 60s.
    It serves its function.. don't let appearances decieve.
    What - its function as one giant ashtray?
    If that's what you meant then I 100% concur.

What a f**king dump - and this coming from someone who has been here for 5 years. Windy, grey, soulless, poorly designed, poorly constructed. The only brightside is that, no matter where you go after you're finished UCD, there's no way that place will be as bad.

The saving grace is, as ever, the people. The students and the academics and, yes, even a few of the admin staff (it's not their fault the system is in chaos). The people make it. They're why I'm still here.

I have to say I've never noticed the wind. The nearest Luas station is 'Windy Arbour' after all though :p

The older buildings are rather dull, but the newer ones (Health Science, Vet, Quinn, Daedalus, O'Reilly Hall, etc.) are really quite nice I think. The area around the lake is lovely too (apart from the library building). And the fact that all the sports facilities are located on-campus is fantastic.

And the campus is hardly 'stuck in the middle of nowhere.' The country's most frequent bus stops right outside. Several buses go into the campus. Two DART stations are each a 15 minute walk away. The Luas, to my knowledge, is about the same. And most importantly, it's about half way between Dublin (which is our capital city) and my house (which is the centre of the universe) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I love it.

I love to walk from the arts block to the 46A bus stop via O'Reilly hall. I love the wall outside the arts block with it's shelter for smokers. I love the arts block courtyard when it's not raining. I love the pit on sunny days with a pack of fags and a G&T. I love the forest walks around the perimeter. I love sitting on the grass outside O'Reilly Hall looking over the lake. I love the terrifying massivness of theatre L and the buzz of noise that it produces right before 1st English or whatever. I love Elements and am realistic enough ot be aware that it is not that exprensive compared with prices in the rest of Dubin (they way people complain about the price of a sandwich in UCD you'd swear they'd never bought a sandwich before, stuff's expensive, it's the economy, never fear a recession looms large on the horizon). I love the fifth floor of the arts block, two couches and free tea once a week. I love the masonic symbols in Richview. I love the Belfield fm studio. I've even grown to quite like the library.

Y'all should quit whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

neith.jpg
    Belfield Campus during the Holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Breezer wrote: »
    And the campus is hardly 'stuck in the middle of nowhere.' The country's most frequent bus stops right outside. Several buses go into the campus. Two DART stations are each a 15 minute walk away. The Luas, to my knowledge, is about the same. And most importantly, it's about half way between Dublin (which is our capital city) and my house (which is the centre of the universe) :D

It's not the middle of nowhere, it's on the edge. I do like the frequency of the buses and whatnot, but I'd like it even more if it didn't take an hour to simply walk from city centre. Just speaking idealistically.

PennyLane wrote: »
    It's not the middle of nowhere, it's on the edge. I do like the frequency of the buses and whatnot, but I'd like it even more if it didn't take an hour to simply walk from city centre. Just speaking idealistically.
    I guess, but having it a little bit away from town makes it more like its own little (or relatively big) town too. It also gives it lots of room to expand. I was lucky enough to experience the last days of the Earlsfort Terrace campus, right in the city centre, so I got to see both sides of the coin, and by and large I prefer Belfield. Just one opinion though, there were a lot of people sad to leave the Terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Ive always heard people say that its always particularly windy on campus.....why would it be any windier than anywhere else??

i hated it when i came to the open day, and never planned on going to UCD but now I love it....the appearance of the campus included!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I work on the wind tunnel/open plan theory.

Namely, the backbone of the college is the concourse with the buildings either side - this acts as a wind tunnel to funnel the wind in a particular direction (or swirling depending on mood).

Then as there is little cover around the perimeter of UCD (probably with the exception of around the Clonskeagh Entrance) and the fact we're near the sea and at the base of a hill, we get a fair breeze from a combination of these factors.

Sheltered: Less wind. Unsheltered: More Wind.

QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

It's all a bit random and higgeldy piggeldy. I really like that new area to the right of the arts block, with the wood and the bamboo etc. The sci building smells. Those cement things on the concourse both scare and disgust me, they are so ugly and I'm afraid they'll fall down one day. But aside from that I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

It's kinda nice. I don't like the buildings (apart from the newer ones). The greenery is nice and the atmosphere of the college is generally good and there's usually something exciting going on. It's well situated in a nice area and has good facilities. I don't see what more you'd want from a college.

Advertisement