Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfield campus horrible???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I adore it. I mean ya, my building is decorated with more concrete and iron then in the whole of Trinity but its atmosphere is great. And I love sitting in the side computer room by the windows and looking out at the sea. I adore the fact that they didn't complete the building so we're probably the only building on campus thats surrounded by grass, which on eng and comm day fills up with giant blow up games. And the design of the eng block is actually fantastic. On nice days the main part of the building is lit up with sun and its so enjoyable getting a sandwich and sitting on the chairs on the second and third floor over looking the main campus, waving to people as they come in. I love how many people are here, because they can't easily just walk off into town and that no matter what time it is you'll always find people you know bumming around. And on a wet day the big concrete thing on the concourse is a life saver. You can get from the restaurant to the church without actually getting wet, but it was definately better before when they were covered in posters so they were really colourful

I miss the Terrace though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Is it me or has it been windier than ever the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Its been pretty windy everywhere in Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Yeah, since reading these thread it's seems to have got windier...or else I've just noticed it more.

I really do think if they renovated outisde the Arts block - not even massively, just a bit of paint and an extension of what they did already with the decked area - and the area between the lake and the library it'd improve the place immeasurably. Around the Veterinary/Health Science/Computer Science buildings it's really nice. I enjoy the walk from the 46A bus stop at the main gate - I'm pretty horrified they're planting the Brady Bowl on it - because it's actually nice and wooded, and there's always squirrels about (except in the winter...obviously).

I like where Belfield is positioned. Partly because it's halfway between my house and town, but also because the transport links are pretty good. The Dart isn't a massive walk and it's really easy to get in and out of town. My one complaint (and it's nothing to do with UCD, really) is the annoying random timing of the 145 bus. I was waiting over 20 minutes the last few days, watching 46a after 46a go by. Damn you, Noel Dempsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

^^You clearly never have to wait for a 17. Have waited for nearly half an hour a few times. It's so infuriating having to stand there trying not to strangle yourself as 5 no. 10's pass every minute.

• Advertisement

ashyle wrote: »
    ^^You clearly never have to wait for a 17. Have waited for nearly half an hour a few times. It's so infuriating having to stand there trying not to strangle yourself as 5 no. 10's pass every minute.

I haven't had to wait for one because I don't even bother :p. The 17 would be really handy for getting the Dart station if it ever came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Romantic S

It was built in the late 60s. It was after the Paris riots. With this in mind the man thought it a good idea to build a spaced out soulless collection of gray buildings with no centre focus in the middle of now-where. The succeeded admirably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Welcome to the number 17 haters society. Meetings are held daily at hour long intervals at the number 17 bus stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Romantic S wrote: »
    It was built in the late 60s. It was after the Paris riots. With this in mind the man thought it a good idea to build a spaced out soulless collection of gray buildings with no centre focus in the middle of now-where. The succeeded admirably.

Not to mention the incredibly awkward step spacing.

PennyLane wrote: »

That is one thing I hate about the Arts block! I've spent nearly two years trying to figure how to walk those without looking strange. Haven't succeeded yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

As bad as the parking situation for students is in UCD its still a hell of a lot better than in DIT or TCD...I like that about the campus. That and its only halfway to town so rush hour traffic isnt too much of a problem. That and the lake is pretty in April/September in the sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Romantic S wrote: »
    Sorry to spoil your fun, but that's an urban myth. See here. To sum up for the lazy, UCD campus design competition was in 1963-4. Paris riots were '68. All of the things attributed to "riot-proofing" the campus were already there before paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

They're all focused around the underground tunnels :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Tom65 wrote: »
    I like where Belfield is positioned. Partly because it's halfway between my house and town, but also because the transport links are pretty good. The Dart isn't a massive walk and it's really easy to get in and out of town

Even from the furthest end of campus you can walk to stephens green in about an hour if you take it handy. For the amount of extra space we have compared to TCD (or ye gods, DIT) I think its good going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I'm getting a bit annoyed at the acoustics in some lecture theatres. Why, it's impossible to hold a private conversation at the back, without annoying everyone else in the room. If it gets any worse, I'd have to recommend...
    NOT TALKING DURING LECTURES!
    I mean, who needs to sit in a room and be lectured at, eh..?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I like where Belfield is positioned. Partly because it's halfway between my house and town, but also because the transport links are pretty good. The Dart isn't a massive walk and it's really easy to get in and out of town. My one complaint (and it's nothing to do with UCD, really) is the annoying random timing of the 145 bus. I was waiting over 20 minutes the last few days, watching 46a after 46a go by. Damn you, Noel Dempsey.

20 minutes wait for a 145 is nothing! I used to regularly wait around for an hour in Stillorgan to get back to Bray. They doubled up the amount of busses a while back though so it's much better these days. Well, unless the driver happens to start chatting to a friend before he leaves the depot. God knows how long we'd be waiting then :p

samsamson wrote: »
    20 minutes wait for a 145 is nothing! I used to regularly wait around for an hour in Stillorgan to get back to Bray. They doubled up the amount of busses a while back though so it's much better these days. Well, unless the driver happens to start chatting to a friend before he leaves the depot. God knows how long we'd be waiting then :p

It's not so much the 20+ minute wait the bothers me, it's the fact it says it leaves every 10 minutes (until about 8pm), and no matter how much traffic the is on the road, they don't arrive every ten minutes, or even close to it. Would it really be so difficult to put in the Dart-style boards with the waiting times? I've seen it in so many other cities. In Seattle they have a website called Busmonster. You can check the waiting times for any bus at any stop, or the traffic conditions in any part the city. Hmph. I should be transport minister. :mad:

jimi_t wrote: »
    Even from the furthest end of campus you can walk to stephens green in about an hour if you take it handy.

Wow. You must walk extremely quickly. Those of us with shorter legs are not quite so fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

It's around 3 miles to stephens green from UCD, even power walkers would struggle to make it in 30minutes(though I'd like to point and laugh at them trying)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Would it really be so difficult to put in the Dart-style boards with the waiting times?
    Yes it would. Welcome to Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

oh my god, i haaate those steps..make you walk like a tard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

The only good thing is taht everyone struggles unless you've got crazily long legs so at least we all looks like gimps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Tragedy wrote: »
    It's around 3 miles to stephens green from UCD, even power walkers would struggle to make it in 30minutes(though I'd like to point and laugh at them trying)

Thats why I said an hour as opposed to 30 minutes!

Have done it far too many times in all sorts of states at this stage - plus I live at the Leeson st. end of Ranelagh and I make the walk at least once a week.

...How did I read that as "about a half an hour"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

...How did I read that as "about a half an hour"?

Those awkward steps are clearly affecting your brain, dear. Yet another thing we can pin on the general cr*pness of UCD's architecture...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The waiting for the 17 bus claimed my sanity long ago.
    I remember being off at 4 one time, got up to the bus stop only about 10 others there. Half an hour later an EMPTY bus comes, and I dont get on because it fills up before i get to door.....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭terry mac

Frisbee wrote: »
    The waiting for the 17 bus claimed my sanity long ago.
    I remember being off at 4 one time, got up to the bus stop only about 10 others there. Half an hour later an EMPTY bus comes, and I dont get on because it fills up before i get to door.....:mad:

The worst is when your waiting for a 17 to show up at about 4 , and they close the gates just before it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

oh my god, i haaate those steps..make you walk like a tard

lol, yeah they are so strange allright, not quite wide enough for two steps but too wide for two at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭coverband

Oh my God they were designed to prevent riots in the 70's so you couldn't get momentum goin on the march. Isn't that fvcked up/Soul destroying!!!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Hub

Surely if you folks were so concerned with aesthetics you would have did your best to get into Trinity…

Advertisement