Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407 vs. VW Passat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Passat hands down for loads of reasons.The passat will hold its value much better bcos of vws reputation for build quality.That 1.6 engine in the passat is better than the peugeots as well.Very smooth and its a 6 speed 'box.The engine in the peugeot is past it- would drink petrol a good bit more than the vw as well i suspect.The passats seem better specced as well

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

does anyone share or disagree with Zonda999's views?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Passat hands down for loads of reasons.The passat will hold its value much better bcos of vws reputation for build quality.That 1.6 engine in the passat is better than the peugeots as well.Very smooth and its a 6 speed 'box.The engine in the peugeot is past it- would drink petrol a good bit more than the vw as well i suspect.The passats seem better specced as well

'...reputation for reliability...'

'Reputation' being the operative word for VWs:D...

In fairness the VW is probably the best choice of those two. Personally I wouldn't touch either...

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

well what would you recommend then? i have a budget of €25k.
    pburns wrote: »
    '...reputation for reliability...'

'Reputation' being the operative word for VWs:D...

In fairness the VW is probably the best choice of those two. Personally I wouldn't touch either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

How about :

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=875011

Honda Accord should be ok?

I would not buy any cars from France just to be in safe side:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd recommmend a Mondeo.

Best drivers car in the class. Comfortable, and decent value used. The 2.0 TDCI Zetec is the best all rounder.

407 is nice to sit in, but they go wrong frequently, and the boot is very small.

Passats are over rated and overpriced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

he is right .

Mondeo or Mazda 6 os the way to go. For my money the Mazda has slightly sharper handling but in all other respects they are the same car so which ever one looks better to you.

Accord is also a worthy car and pretty much bomb proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Haggle - http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=890433

The 2.0L engine is not too bad on juice if you drive sensibly. Far superior build quality and engineering than most. And a Subaru dealer will not fleece you on servicing like a VW one most probably will. Mine has had two main dealer services from new at 15k & 30k,for less than E500 gross total, so not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

OP,

I would go for a 407 with the 1.6HDi engine, because imo;

It is better looking
    It is far more comfortable
    It will be at least as, if not more reliable
    It would hold its value nearly as well as a petrol Passat (current Gen.)
    It will be more economical

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=779335

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

prospect wrote: »
    OP,

It is better looking

I'd dispute that. 407's are awful. Nearly as bad as Renault lagunas, but not quite. The boot is so small you cannot get (for example) golf clubs into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

The boot is so small you cannot get (for example) golf clubs into it.

What a load of cr*p!!!! Not only can i get clubs in but can get trolley and mates clubs in!!!!

Or i can get a full sized pram and chassis and bags into boot which is impressive let me tell ya

Aint had any probs with the 1.6hdi engine though do steer clear of the 1.8.

But to compare it to a lunguna is just stupidity/ususal french car hater trash

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10_worst.html?apc=11913195781996932

Only one french brand in worst 10 car makes and it is 10th which is a renault by the way

The boot is so small you cannot get (for example) golf clubs into it.

That is a blatant lie. My dad has one of those huge Ping bags that are for electric trollies, and we got it, the trolly and my carry bag into it without much difficulty.

If you don't agree with my opinion, that is fine, but don;t make up lies to help your argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

OP,

It is better looking

i would go for this one. i think its the best looking car in its class

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

itarumaa wrote: »
    How about :

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=875011

Honda Accord should be ok?

I would not buy any cars from France just to be in safe side:)

I second that, if I had the money I would run as fast as I could and get myself an Accord, not that I know much buy I hear they are great cars and sure I keep hearing great things about Honda engines.

racso1975 wrote: »
    What a load of cr*p!!!! Not only can i get clubs in but can get trolley and mates clubs in!!!!

Or i can get a full sized pram and chassis and bags into boot which is impressive let me tell ya

Aint had any probs with the 1.6hdi engine though do steer clear of the 1.8.

But to compare it to a lunguna is just stupidity/ususal french car hater trash

http://www.reliabilityindex.co.uk/top10_worst.html?apc=11913195781996932

Only one french brand in worst 10 car makes and it is 10th which is a renault by the way

Sorry guys but my clubs, & the cars owners would not fit in width wise. The drivers (longest clubs) had to be removed. That is not a word of a lie.

If you don't agree with my opinion, that is fine, but don;t make up lies to help your argument.

I don't, and I didn't.

Reliability? Try here...http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=229319

Peugeot faired better than I thought tbh. Shared engine development helps I guess. Renault is still rubbish. Audi & VW didn't do well either.

Sorry guys but my clubs, & the cars owners would not fit in width wise. The drivers (longest clubs) had to be removed. That is not a word of a lie.

So what you are saying is you cannot fit TWO sets of clubs in it.

I love the desperate sensationalism to try and prove a point :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I don't, and I didn't.

Have you got any specific examples either through ownership or direct contact with the car in question yourself to back these unreliability comments? A friend is the head mechanic in a peugoet dealers and told me the new 407 is bomb proof and they never have any trouble with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

I think the 407 is the best looking car in it's class. I wouldn't worry about reliability too much. Nothing compared to the Renaults IMO. However, I would worry about depreciation. So far they seem to be holding up well enough but I'd be afraid they'd hit free fall like the 406 did.

I think the Passat is shockingly over rated, but for some reason Irish people love them and they hold their value fantastically. They are big and comfortable but bland to drive.

I am looking for something similar to yourself with around the same budget and I have decided to wait untill June and import a diesel Accord.

• Advertisement

So what you are saying is you cannot fit TWO sets of clubs in it.

I love the desperate sensationalism to try and prove a point :rolleyes:

Are you stupid or something? :rolleyes:

To simplify - my golf clubs would not fit into the boot of a 407 width wise. Nor would the owners.

It makes no difference if it was 1 or 2 sets!

p.s. or 3 sets, or even 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

PGL wrote: »

If it has to be one or the other, the Passat wins hands down. If your open to other options I would consider any of the following:
    Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, or Toyota Avensis, not in any particular order. Go around the dealers and check them all out. Figure out what's most important to you before hand though.

Advertisement