Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

American printers, do they work here?

• 23-01-2008 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Does anybody know if the power transformers supplied with US hardware still powers the kit in this country or do the people importing printers and laptops and the like need to get european adapters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Just get a convertor here and it will be grand. They are quite expensive though. But most printers use a standard 2 pin or kettle lead for a plug. Just grab one for here and you should be okay as far as im aware, but im not 100% positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭SeanW

You need to check the specifications of the printer, to see if it works on 230V (or 220-240V) It may say either 110-120, 220-240 or 115-230V or something like that. If so, you can just get a UK stereo power cable and plug it in.

If on the other hand, it only specifies 110V-120V or 115V, then you need to get a voltage transformer. You then need to work out the wattage of the printer, Volts X Amps = Watts, and make sure then transformer is rated for at least that number of Watts.

There may also be a disparity in frequency (between 60hz US and 50hz here), but printers don't really care about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭SubjectSean

Thanks lads I was thinking there'd be some way round it and then after I'd lashed out on an Epson 9880 I suddenly got a whole lot less sure of myself. My next question is, does anybody know of any companies that provide service contracts for printers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

From the Epson America site:
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ProImaging/ProductDetails.do?sku=SP9880K3&displayProductSpec=Y
    Electrical Requirements
    Voltage AC 110 -120 V
    Frequency 50 - 60 Hz
    Current 1.0 A /110 -120 V

No mention of 220-240V there so you'll need a stepdown transformer rated for at least 120W to handle that.

Peats have a 150W one for €50
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=4724&sid=13&cid=144&scid=8654

Advertisement