Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching Courses....

Options
  • 23-01-2008 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hey just wondering if anybody could help me with this. I am currently in 1st yr B&L but am getting a bit disillusioned with the law aspect, and will probably end up going down the business route, most likely accountancy. Because of this i've been contemplating 'oh what if i had done commerce' etc. and was wondering, and i'm not completely fixed on this or anything, would it be possible for me to switch from B&L to say commerce international from 2nd year onwards? We do the same business modules as them and so I wouldn't have missed anything on that front. As far as languages go, it would be French as i did it for LC and i'm guessing they wouldn't let me take Spanish or Italian ab initio in 2nd year, but I got an A2 in it in the LC so I think I'd be fairly capable of catching up quickly in the language modules. I haven'y given this serious thought at all but I was just wonderin if it is possible, were I completely fed up with law by the end of this semester/year, so any feedback/info/personal experiences would be very helpful... Oh and the reason I'm not asking UCD themselves is cos I probably wouldnt get a proper answer, and also I dont want it to sound like a request of any sort....

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

I'm in Commerce and French now and to be honest, I'm not sure if it would be possible to switch without adding an extra year. You can't just "catch up" in the grammar modules - you have to complete all of the first year ones along with literature before going on to second year (and don't underestimate them - I got an A1 but still found them tougher than I expected). If BCIT and B&L Commerce modules are the same then as far as I know you'd be looking at spending a year just doing first year French, which would come to about 6 hours of lectures/tutorials a week.

This is all just based on what I know of the departments myself - if you do want more information you should contact the French department, they're very helpful (far more so than Quinn, I've always found). Feel free to PM if there's anything else. :)

Advertisement