Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Add-on? Or separate?

• 23-01-2008 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi guys and gals

Just looking for opinions on the quality of the add-on drive for the 360. I'll be hooking it upto a 47" HDTV pretty soon, along with a PS3---and until the format war ends, it looks like some movies won't be showing up on Blu-Ray (like SERENITY---greatest sci fi ever).

I've heard that the picture quality is good but not great? And that when you use the supplied media remote (it is supplied, isn't it?), this can turn on/off the console as well?

(I realise there's a thread about the addon already but it seems to be focused on the format war now!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭IamBeowulf

Oh and is it true that the only way to get 1080p is via VGA cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

you want get 1080 or anything HD through the vga cable its not HD compatible.

How much is the drive last I checked it was 110? I bought a blu-ray drive for the pc and it cost me 180 I think that would be a much better buy and it "seems" blu-ray is the winner microsoft "might" be bringing out a blu-ray addon.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

A player that requires the 360 to be working sounds like a bad idea to me. If and when the 360 stops working, you'll be without your HD-DVD player. Even if you're willing to do without the player for the month or so it takes to get repaired... in a couple of years when the 360 breaks down due to age, will you want to buy another one to continue using the player?

Also, find out how loud the 360 gets while watching HD-DVDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

dazftw wrote: »
    you want get 1080 or anything HD through the vga cable its not HD compatible.

How much is the drive last I checked it was 110? I bought a blu-ray drive for the pc and it cost me 180 I think that would be a much better buy and it "seems" blu-ray is the winner microsoft "might" be bringing out a blu-ray addon.

The VGA cable is HD compatible.
    You can also get 1080p through component (provided your TV accepts 1080p through component, most don't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

There is no way that Microsoft would bring out a blu-ray player. Not unless all the studios conceded and went Blu-ray exclusive. THe HD-DVD addon is by no means perfect, i would prefer a standalone player but it has an excellent picture and I am very happy wit mine!

Its a shame you didn't ask this question yesterday, Ibood.com were selling a dedicated player for €150.

BTW I watched Serenity about two nights ago and it was beautiful, its a really good encode, imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

This player is similar to the one sold on ibood.com yesterday: [Link]

Dunno anything about ordering from that site though.

Advertisement