Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to CoD4

• 23-01-2008 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hey, as a new one to this, im not faring too well online, im wondering if its possible to play simply with people on the same level as myself? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭niallispuresex

IT takes time to get used to, unfortunately i can't tell you any servers that your looking for, but after playing a while you'll get used to it, just change your name when you get good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hey, as a new one to this, im not faring too well online, im wondering if its possible to play simply with people on the same level as myself? thanks
    You'll never get any good if you play with people of your level! We all went through that difficult period where you feel like you get fragged by invisible people within seconds of spawning!

I'll always remember my first time playing online... The game was CoD1. Got my a$$ kicked and handed to me for the best part of a month! But then you a hang of it, you get to know the maps and you start playing much better.

Just hang in there and keep practicing! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Just got this, really enjoying it, haven't played online but I'm really stuck into the single player.

blah wrote: »
    Just got this, really enjoying it, haven't played online but I'm really stuck into the single player.
    I finished Single Player on Saturday. I also started playing the Single Player game on Saturday! It's way too short! I bought this game to play online anyway... I never actually play the SP usually! I'm ashamed to admit I never even finished CoD2! :o I only played it a couple of times when my connection was down...

The mission when you're in the plane with the infrared vision (or whatever it's called) was awesome!

But where's that mission that's in the console version in the plane? I saw it on YouTube but it's not in the PC version... I thought the SP games were the same for both platforms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Play the single player through then join servers that don't have that many people on them . it is very hard to get to grips with the game and the maps on packed servers . Online at the start can be chaotic but ease into it on smaller servers .

• Advertisement

The mission when you're in the plane with the infrared vision (or whatever it's called) was awesome!

Agreed whole-heartedly ....and thats as far as I have played it ..Mp all the way .

jonski wrote: »
    [...]Mp all the way .
    QFT! MP POWAAAAA :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

My first taste of multiplayer COD4 was on a hardcore server - only I didn't realise it was hardcore initially :eek:

Get your basic unlocks and perks by playing on free for all servers, you will die a lot but will get the toys you need to enjoy the game more quickly.

I would advice playing S&D if you want to get to level 55 pretty fast. You get 50 points for a kill (5 on other gametypes) and loads more when you plant or defuse the bomb!

S&D FTW!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

But where's that mission that's in the console version in the plane? I saw it on YouTube but it's not in the PC version... I thought the SP games were the same for both platforms?
    It's after the credits so maybe you have to watch them. It's definately there on the pc.
    I would advice playing S&D if you want to get to level 55 pretty fast. You get 50 points for a kill (5 on other gametypes) and loads more when you plant or defuse the bomb!
    Would say the exact opposite. Search and destroy servers are normally full of 55's who have unlocked everything and thus have experience with the game.
    Team deathmatch is your best bet in my opinion. You can be as involved as you want and have the protection of other people drawing fire too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Arctic_Monkeh

thanks guys for the advice, one day...maybe....55......maybe:D

Seifer wrote: »
    It's after the credits so maybe you have to watch them. It's definately there on the pc.
    Ah cr@p... Was too lazy to watch the whole thing... Will give it a go tonight sure! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Dont rush to 55,the best weapons in the game are available at lvl 1 and lvl 10,them being the m16 and m4 carbine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Dcully wrote: »
    Dont rush to 55,the best weapons in the game are available at lvl 1 and lvl 10,them being the m16 and m4 carbine.

The M4 is great, slap a noob toob on there and just mangle people!

The M4 is great, slap a noob toob on there and just mangle people!
    Noob Toobz should banned IMO... Hate them so I do! :mad:

Dcully wrote:
    Well I think the Barrett at 51 is the best sniper. And you need to go a lot higher than 10 to get some of the more useful perks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Noob Toobz should banned IMO... Hate them so I do! :mad:

What's all this crap about calling grenade launchers and alot of other things noob tubes etc. They're there for a reason and if a player wants to use a grenade launcher or martyrdom they're perfectly entitled to do so without being abused for it. I'm increasingly encountering people online who whinge about the setup different players use and it they're killed by the player in question, the player is met with a torrent of abuse again.
    FFS, get over it and get on with your own game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Was playing last night with some French dudes from some clan [can't remember which one]. Anyway, I was doing pretty well for myself and had a few martyrdom kills under my belt too.

Anyhoo, in the lobby after the game, I could make out some of the French they were speaking and they were lobbing abuse at me. I lol'd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I hear ya Otacon,i find the French and English the most annoying and abusive online,well on xbox live atleast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭wierdal

have to say only started playing online 2 days ago(Tuesday) and i have to say WOW ive been playing battlefield 2 and 2142 for a while but i cant compare to this im even much better on this than BF for some reason just an amazing game online but wondering seeing as im a noob im havent played loads whats the best game and y i know theres a poll but just y all i play is TD

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd chuck this in here.

Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to run CoD4 at all / reasonably well / brilliantly on this Dell XPS M1330:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2-cache)
    Windows Vista
    2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
    250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS

Although I havent seen the minimum spec required for CoD4 I've heard I'll need a serious enough comp, and don't know if I'll get away with the above?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd say you should be able to run it with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

That graphics card is gonna cause you problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Ah, I thought it might. Bummer. Thanks for that.

Worth a shot in low resolution though!

The GFX Card is definitely the bottleneck... Pity, the rest would be more than sufficient! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to run CoD4 at all / reasonably well / brilliantly on this Dell XPS M1330:

It will play it, but only just. On lowest settings. There's a vid of it on youtube (search 'm1330 cod4'), it doesnt show res or FPS, but it looks reasonably smooth/playable. Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers from laptopsvideo2go.

Some nebwie questions for this:

-Flickering players. What's the story with this? Loads of players I see seem to flicker and stutter around levels, it's like half the time they're invisible. Even watching on the kill cam it looks real stuttery. Instead of moving smoothly around levels, they seem to teleport forward a few feet at a time. Is this a problem with my side of things? (my FPS is fine and ping fairly low)

-Shooting while reloading. This has happened a few times now. Ive seen on the kill cam that the guy who killed me was in the middle of reloading (mag out of gun)....he see's me and BAM shoots me somehow, and then finishes reloading. :confused:

Sounds like a connection issue. Keep a closer eye on your ping to see if it randomly spikes up very high.
    Alternatively they could all have bad connections so play on a different server. The first is more likely tbh.

Seifer wrote: »
    Sounds like a connection issue. Keep a closer eye on your ping to see if it randomly spikes up very high.
    Alternatively they could all have bad connections so play on a different server. The first is more likely tbh.

It's definitely not some sort of trick the other players are using? I've heard of some dishonest cnuts putting their framerate up to 333FPS so they can jump higher, run silently and have less recoil...I thought maybe guys were using some sort of similar hack to make them flicker and be harder to spot. Maybe im just being paranoid :o

It's only some particular guys in a game and not everybody, and my ping is always under around 70.

• Advertisement

how is having hardware capable of 333 fps a hack?

should I do a survey to find out what the average fps is and limit my fps to that??

KamiKazi wrote: »
    how is having hardware capable of 333 fps a hack?

should I do a survey to find out what the average fps is and limit my fps to that??

Well that's not what im on about at the moment, i know and accept that's in use (silent running etc), im just wondering is this flickering players thing something similar, or is it something on my end?

It's your end most likely. They're not hacking. Try find better pinging servers, just under 70 isn't that amazing. It shouldn't cause the problems you've mentioned but worth a shot.

Cheers, just wanted to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

You'll be grand, everyone has to begin sometime.

Silenced P90, digital camo, yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Those 50 player FFA are bloody insane. No time to think at all. Good fun all the same. Only got to put in about 30 mins last night but twas enjoyable [except being killed by a guy spawing].

Question: do all the ffa servers have the uav on all the time?

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote: »
    Not if they are hardcore

kaimera wrote: »
    T

No , uav is called , but people are firing all the time so they show up all the time and makes it seem like uav is on all the time .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

jonski wrote: »
    No , uav is called , but people are firing all the time so they show up all the time and makes it seem like uav is on all the time .
    Ah ok, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sounds like a bad connection. When my BB is acting up and I get high pings, I end up playing like a noob. Just pointless playing, I just spawn die, spawn die, and my reaction time seems woeful. From what I've seen having really fast hardware and a fast connection makes a huge difference on line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

just got me a PS3 with COD4 and what a game, Like the OP i was getting milled out of it but during this week i have climed to LV17 so far. Big difference i can not kill more time than i get killed :-)

Had a corker last night, started in the Ambush Lvl, got killed a couple times then went on a mad rampage, Lobbed a Grenade over the road killed 5 off the bat, Called in an Airstrike, got another 7, called in a chopper and got another 4 maybe 5, Then ran around for a while just picking off another hoard of mad Iraqi red tops....... Great fun all round.

without doubt one of the best games i have ever played on any system....

• Advertisement

BrookieD wrote: »
    without doubt one of the best games i have ever played on any system....
    I'm so proud of my CoD I am! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

Im a noob tho im slowing getting better.

My SN is Whooptastic

Ive no friends, can i add you guys :(

Da GOAT wrote: »
    Im a noob tho im slowing getting better.

My SN is Whooptastic

Ive no friends, can i add you guys :(
    No, go sit in the corner

Advertisement