Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Licence Question

Options
  • 23-01-2008 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey there, just had a check on citizensinformation there but its not that clear. So here goes:

(I should probably point out that the B licence was my main focus since i started drivin.)

Got my first provisional in june 2002. Now im 99% sure it had categories A1,(i was just gone 17) B, M, and W on it, since that was the standard theory test at the time (i think.)

Renewed that in june 2004 (only category im 100% sure was on it was B) and did the B test about a month later and passed. So along comes the full licence for category B and nothin else.

So now i wanna go for the A category driving test, and after such ramblings, the simple question is:

Do i have to do a theory test for an A category provisional licence again, or will i still have that entitlement (albeit not actually havin the physical provo licence)?

And do i have a full W entitlment after passin the B test?

thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You have full W entitlement but if you didn't tick the box when applying for the license, you are not licensed for it. I think you can have it applied to your license afterwards but you might have to pay a fee.

As for other classes of vehicle, you don't have any license (learner's permit or otherwise) for them. It used to be the case that you automatically got M (mopeds) but not anymore.

I'm not sure if you need to do another theory test before applying for a motorbike permit though. I know when I did my theory test for a B license, there were questions about motorbike classes but I'm not sure now if it's a different test for each category.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

yeah same here with the old theory test. im pretty sure a few years ago the theory test was ABMW wasnt it? Just wonderin cos i couldnt be ar$ed doin a theory test for a motorbike again when i already did it a few years ago.

Anyone any ideas? I deffo had the A1 category on my first provo, dunno about second, but even if i did it was well over two years ago so maybe i "lost" the right to have a motorbike provo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Anyone know where you can get the smaller version l plates as only finding the bigger ones everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Celtic07 wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get the smaller version l plates as only finding the bigger ones everywhere
    The regulation regarding L plates are very specific. It must be a red 'L' on a white background of 15 cm square. Anything else is illegal if travelling on a public road on a Learner permit/provisional licence. The "bigger" ones you see for sale are the proper legal ones.

Advertisement