Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead PSU or motherboard?

• 23-01-2008 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I woke up Monday morning and noticed that my media center PC had come out of standby. I turned on the TV but there was no desktop visible, so I pushed the reset button on the PC & nothing happened. I held down the power button for a few seconds and nothing happened, I tested the DVD drives and none would open, totally unresponsive. I was left with no option but to flick the power switch on the back of the PSU. I then flicked it back & tried turning on the PC but nothing happened, totally dead and no red light on the MB to indicate power. I opened it up and had a look inside but everything looks ok and all cables are connected.

Would this be more likely to be a PSU problem or motherboard problem and is there any way to find out what has failed? Don't have any spare parts to test and I don't want to buy a PSU to then realise it was the MB that was the problem!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is it as simple as a fuse in the Kettle Lead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

yeah sounds like the PSU but to be sure you could jump start the PSU but be CAREFUL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Sounds like the psu allright, I'd do the usual first though, change wall socket / power cable.

If you're gonna try shorting the psu for god's sake be carefull. You dont wanna put the wire in the wrong hole.

Advertisement