Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT132 - Design Stuides: Whats the course like?

Options
  • 23-01-2008 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I'm interested in doing the two year part time course in design studies in DIT. Wondering if anyone has any advice as regards the course? Is it terribly technical? Because its in the engineering department. I'm not really technically minded, rubbish at maths too! i'm really just interested in the creative side of deisgn, and design in general. I'm think maybe graphic design might be where i end up, but i'm just not too sure! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

it would be good to know the technical aspects of design, as design is about knowing how to use technical constraints of production to deliver a concept.
    Even in graphic design, you'll have to know about the types of printers and what results they produce, in order to arrive with the best possible concept.

I doubt whether there is a field where you can just come up with ideas and mockups.As a designer, you'll have to produce ideas and consider the way in which they will be made. There is also a lot of creativity in the latter process, btw.

It's hard to learn creative concept design. For ideas, visual effects and inspiration, it would be good to take an art class that contains both the theory and practice, and read a lot of books and poetry etc at the same time, to know how to create something that could be interpreted and understood by people.

I don't know about this course at all, or it's maths content, but as it contains some technical modules, it will pay you back very well in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Eppie

I'm thinking of doing this course on the next intake too. I think it sounds like a good all-rounder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I'd strongly recommend you to go to Bolton Street to ask some questions about the course before considering it.

Advertisement