Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Missed test this morning

Options
  • 23-01-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭

I had my test this morning in Rathgar - double checked my lights this morning (I had a full service yesterday and everything was fine!) and one sidelight was blown..tets was at 9.15 (this was at 8) legged it up to Dundrum (got there at 9) and got a new bulb and got to the test centre at 918..the tester wouldn't let me take the test...to say Im gutted is an understatement!

Does anyone know how I would get a second test ASAP..I waited 4 months for the test date and need my full license ASAP..

the tester wasnt helpful at all, just said reapply..

Is there any way to get around it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

LadyE wrote: »
    I had my test this morning in Rathgar - double checked my lights this morning (I had a full service yesterday and everything was fine!) and one sidelight was blown..tets was at 9.15 (this was at 8) legged it up to Dundrum (got there at 9) and got a new bulb and got to the test centre at 918..the tester wouldn't let me take the test...to say Im gutted is an understatement!

Does anyone know how I would get a second test ASAP..I waited 4 months for the test date and need my full license ASAP..

I think that is very unfair, all the testers seem to have a chip on there shoulder, you would think they would alloway 10min. When i did my test i had to wait 15min before he was ready. I'm not sure what you can do, i think you will find you will have to reply unless you make a compliant, not sure who you need to contact.

I like your signature..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Serious chip on his shoulder..could have killed him..but rules are rules...
    Am so gutted tho :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Serious chip on his shoulder..could have killed him..but rules are rules...
    Am so gutted tho :(

Its not the first time i have heard this happen, but as you said rules are rules. If it was me, i think i would have just gone to the test center and hoped they didnt notice the light.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing..I panicked bla bla bla

I should have gone to the test centre alright :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Look at it this way. If you had just gone and they said no you can't take your test because the car is defective, you would be pissed off with yourself and would have nobody else to blame.

But now you can blame the tester who wouldn't let you take the test because you were three minutes late!

It's much more satisfying to blame other people than to blame yourself! ;)

I hope you're not waiting too long for another test date. If it helps, they do seem to be getting the waiting list down. My brother applied in November and has a test in February in Finglas. He didn't ask for a cancellation. He didn't send in an employer's letter and his surname's not Byrne, Brett or Dempsey! :D

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    Look at it this way. If you had just gone and they said no you can't take your test because the car is defective, you would be pissed off with yourself and would have nobody else to blame.

But now you can blame the tester who wouldn't let you take the test because you were three minutes late!

It's much more satisfying to blame other people than to blame yourself! ;)

I hope you're not waiting too long for another test date. If it helps, they do seem to be getting the waiting list down. My brother applied in November and has a test in February in Finglas. He didn't ask for a cancellation. He didn't send in an employer's letter and his surname's not Byrne, Brett or Dempsey! :D

You're right, I cursed the tester for a couple of hours, until I accepted that it was my fault. I should have been there on time.

I applied for another this morning, and Ill get a letter from employer..Hopefully Ill get one in time for the new rule comes in, in July.

Thanks for any replies..If I get an early morning test next time, I might sleep in the car park, just in case ;):D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Write to the test centre, explain you'd gotten a full service, checked everything but the bulb blew the morning of the test and tell them how you immediately went to fix it.

That should explain why you were late and maybe they'll give you a cancellation or something (also only a 4 month wait???!?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Rathgar has a short enough waiting time.
    I applied there at the end of November, got a letter today asking me to contact SGS to arrange a test with them - but it's in Fonthill or Ballymun. Very inconvenient. I'm sure the normal testers kicked up a fuss and refused to let the SGS guys work from the same test centre.

Thanks for the replies guys..

The tester man gave me a letter saying he couldnt do the test because I didnt comply with paragraph one of the rules or something..and that I did turn up etc. Im also gonna get a letter from work, and my pre-tester women told me to hound them for a date.

I originally applied for Churchtown (with note saying Deansgrange if possible) but I was given Rathgar..I dont care where I go now, am a confident enough driver (now!)..I just need to get the date!

Anyway, Ive applied now and will follow up with the other stuff so hopefully shouldnt be too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tell them that you are willing to be tested at very short notice.

.......and always carry spare bulbs in the car! ;)

• Advertisement

Have just sent an email too..they wern't much help on the phone but hopefully I'll get a decent reply from the email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭The Hacker

You should have checked all your bulbs/etc were ok at least 3 days before the test date.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Hacker wrote: »
    You should have checked all your bulbs/etc were ok at least 3 days before the test date.

The OP said that her car had a full service yesterday and that all was OK.

I feel really sorry for you. Such bad luck. The best you can do is to push for a fast date. Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Feachan

I must say I find it highly improbable that your test was cancelled because you were three minutes late. As a general rule and where there is no undue traffic congestion up to 10 minutes is allowed. The Driver Tester will have noted your time of arrival and there will be a record of that available in HQ next week. I have great sympathy with your predicament but nonetheless am sceptical about 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Feachan wrote: »
    I must say I find it highly improbable that your test was cancelled because you were three minutes late. As a general rule and where there is no undue traffic congestion up to 10 minutes is allowed. The Driver Tester will have noted your time of arrival and there will be a record of that available in HQ next week. I have great sympathy with your predicament but nonetheless am sceptical about 3 minutes.
    The OP was probably that tester's first client this morning so the he would be anxious to get going in good time rather than having all subsequent tests delayed as a result. I'd say , if the OP was late for an evening test it may not have mattered as much.

PS - doesn't the letter request that the candidate arrive 10 minutes before the appointed time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Feachan wrote: »
    ...I have great sympathy with your predicament but nonetheless am sceptical about 3 minutes.

Like any job, some people are sticklers for rules and some aren't. I think I read a guideline time of up to 6 minutes late before on one of the official websites but can't find it now.

I know of someone who had their test at Ballymun SGS and waited at the NCT reception until the time for her test. When she realised it was a different entrance to the building for driving tests, she was already about 3 minutes late and they wouldn't test her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

and one sidelight was blown..

The testers only check the brake and indicator lights.

J_R wrote: »
    The testers only check the brake and indicator lights.

Ah i know that now..ah well.

You can be sceptitcal all you like..He wasnt bringing me out...fair enough I was late. The letter said be there before the appointed time, so maybe he thought I should have been there at 9, or ten past. I dont know.

These things happen..but I just wanted it over and done with. I have to go thru all the nerves and stuff again when I get called agian! No reply to the email I sent or anything..should I follow up with a phone call? I called the 1850 number yesterday morning and the lady wasnt that helpfful..not sure if they can do anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Lady E you were right to get the light fixed, on my test all my lights were checked. You were just unlucky, another tester might have had no problem bringing you out. Anyway hopefully you'll get another date soon, good luck.

Advertisement