Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident - What to do next

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Just to update you folks, 3 weeks later and the other driver is still not accepting liability. His insurance company are still 'investigating it' and they are waiting on the garda's report (which has not yet arrived).

Now I feel they are just dragging their heels. If the other lad is not accepting liability then why isn't he claiming off me??

Anyway, I think I will ring the guard in question and ask her to send out the report. Is it normal to ask her to forward me a copy of the report also or is that cheeky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Just to update you folks, 3 weeks later and the other driver is still not accepting liability. His insurance company are still 'investigating it' and they are waiting on the garda's report (which has not yet arrived).

I went through 14 months of this (from Sept 06 until Nov last year). The court decided it was the other guy's fault and everything was transferred over to his insurance company. Got my NCB back plus refund but that was 14 months of hell. I hope you get sorted out soon.

Trampas wrote: »
    I would expect that from quinn but not hiberian.

would make you think about moving companies come renewal date

I'm with Quinn, they have lost application information a few times in the past, so not a huge fan but when someone wrote off my car. I was given the work mobile of a legal advisor, who did his best to deal with the other parties extremely inconsiderate insurance company.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm with Quinn, they have lost application information a few times in the past, so not a huge fan but when someone wrote off my car. I was given the work mobile of a legal advisor, who did his best to deal with the other parties extremely inconsiderate insurance company.

feck, that reminds me, Hibernian offer so-called legal protection/advice under my policy...of course I rang when the accident happened and guess what? They never got back to me! I just called them again there and they said they will get the solicitor to call me back today or tomorrow...oh how I am sick of Hibernian! I mean this is my first time I could do with their help and they are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!

I will remember this come renewal time, that's all I can do right now i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I went through 18 months of heel dragging only for the other side to settle for the full amount a week before the court date. I would have preferred to go to court to shame the other driver. Just be prepared to wait, the other side will give you endless excuses and will only settle if they have to.

Take into account that if they are not going to settle it soon that the price of fixing your car will go up. My car cost an extra 10%-15% to fix when they settled than my quote which was almost 18 months old.

Go to a solicitor yourself and ask them to file a case with the district court clerk as soon as possible. Legal fees will not be more than a few hundred, mine were about €250.

• Advertisement

Just to update you all on this:

After his insurance company doing nothing and hoping I just went away I contacted a solicitor and threatened legal actions.

When he found out that I was using a solicitor he rang my solicitor and ranted at her! He started making up things that did not exist.

So I'm taking him to court...I know I may not win (based on what I hear from others) even though I am not liable, he is but I just cannot let this as*hole get away with his sneeky ways.

OK, better not talk about it anymore until this is resolved.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Best of luck mate hope they find him fully liable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Good luck with it. Make sure to let us know how you got on.

Just to update you all on this:

After his insurance company doing nothing and hoping I just went away I contacted a solicitor and threatened legal actions.

OK, better not talk about it anymore until this is resolved.:mad:

It is standard practice for insurance companies to delay proceeding by any means necessary. Pressure your solicitor to start proceedings as soon as possible. More than likely they will want to prevent further legal fees by settling before going to court. The sooner you have a court date the sooner they will make an offer.

Páid wrote: »
    It is standard practice for insurance companies to delay proceeding by any means necessary. Pressure your solicitor to start proceedings as soon as possible. More than likely they will want to prevent further legal fees by settling before going to court. The sooner you have a court date the sooner they will make an offer.

yep, well my solicitor has stamped and served the proceedings to yer man and the return date for that is May 30th. At that date the court will fix a hearing date (that's what my solicitor has told me anyway).

I'll keep you all posted.

• Advertisement

Hi All, some good news. After 2 weeks since the legal proceedings were issued to the guy who crashed into me, my solicitor received a phone call from his insurance company. They are paying up in full and don't want to take it to court.

They said that they will not stand by yer man even if her wants to make a counter claim (which is a silly move if he does TBH).

I'm one happy camper now. They are also paying my legal fees.

phew, and there was a time I was going to just can it and just pay for my car to be fixed..delighted I stuck to my guns now and delighted to realise that solicitors can actually be good at times :D

Well done, thats great news.

Advertisement