Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February 2008 Temperature Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Overall Irish Mean now up to 4.6C and still rising, so Nemonoid is now in the lead.
    FOIM5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

trogdor wrote: »
    Overall Irish Mean now up to 4.6C and still rising, so Nemonoid is now in the lead.
    FOIM5.png

Deadly Trogdor. You have had 5 days in a row of being on top, and who knows, could swing in your favour again later.

Anyway a quick update on rainfall up to 5th:
    febrain508.jpg

The very wet weather in the west has filtered into the midlands as of the 5th. 22% of the Feb normal national rainfall has already fallen so far, with the west of the Shannon still bearing the brunt. The east dry as per average..Humph..:cool:

Edit: Malin Head not updated since the 4th on this chart. Though average remains intact.
    Further Edit: percentage figure in chart is wrong. Actual figure is 35%. Will fix this error in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Good job Paddy.1

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

trogdor wrote: »

The next few days will fix that by the looks of things!

Keep up the great work on the graphs Paddy and Trogdor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've done a rain chart using same figures that Paddy is using. The flat line is the mean.
    I put in a guesstimate figure for Malin Head for yesterday. The correct figure will be inputted when known.

I'll try update daily, maybe not in a new message here, but the latest chart will always be seen here.

feb08rain.gif

I'm don't know my way round doing charts in excel, so will gladly take on board suggestions for improvements or if there are other aspects people are interested in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I have a little jar of Irish soil from Galway, does that count? If it does, the temp here is 17C, with white poofy clouds and light breeze.

Updated the rainfall graph above and have cluttered it up! ;)
    I've added in Valentia, Dublin AP and Cork AP.
    If the general concensus is to keep it simple, then I'll remove some or all of the extra lines.

Still no Malin Head figure for 5th and Dublin AP figure missing for 6th. I've guesstimated both for now.

I think it may be better to have three thin vertical bars for the individual sites over the wide bar of the average figure.

just my 0.02c

Great stuff Paddy and Mothman,
    Overall Irish Mean now up to 4.8C, Nemonoid still closest.
    FOIM6.png

I think it may be better to have three thin vertical bars for the individual sites over the wide bar of the average figure.

just my 0.02c

I like this suggestion, I couldn't quite reproduce it, but this is close.
    What do you think?

Dublin AP figure corrected, Malin Head rain for 5th still unknown

• Advertisement

That looks good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

ahhhh feck it, lets just have a geek chart compo!

<its my job & my hobby>

;)

A few more days like today and I think I'm in with a chance ;)

Fantastic trend graph Mothman. could I make one suggestion:p. How about representing one station from each province on your chart as it gives a more national overview. ie, Belmullet & Malin Head. :)

Overall Irish Mean up by a whole degree since yesterday to 5.8C(missing data from Malin Head still and Mullingar)
    FOIM7.png
    Paddy.1 and Danomayne are closest atm although being mild again today, by tomorrow Danno could be closest!
    febforecast.png
    I'm off to Sardinia for the weekend in the next few hours so I won't be able to update the graph until Tuesday.
    Paddy's going to keep the figures though and I think he's gonig to keep updating here:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 vbboardie

nice work.....

Paddy.1 wrote: »
    Fantastic trend graph Mothman. could I make one suggestion:p. How about representing one station from each province on your chart as it gives a more national overview. ie, Belmullet & Malin Head. :)

Obviously merit in your suggestion. I think that adding an extra station (dropping Valentia, adding Belmullet and Malin Head) makes it too cluttered, but you can see tomorrow. My logic with my choice of 3 is byhaving Dublin AP and Cork AP representing the 2 largest urban areas and Valentia as the wettest of the synoptic station. I've also done graphs for sunshine and daily values for both rain and sunshine.

Your latest chart is very good. Malin Head figure should be about 39mm, rather than 50mm. The synop gave 5.3mm for the 5th.

Just had a thought,
    What I could do is to rather than chart some individual stations, chart the mean of the stations from each province. Not so good with the sunshine since I'm using data from only 7 stations.

Geez, it took only 1 week to go from the lowest guess to the highest guess. All swings and roundabouts really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Was worried all this warm weather was going to lose it for me, till I saw next weeks forecast.

Rain and sunshine graphs updated above.
    Rainfall now divided into provinces.
    Connaught
    Belmullet
    Claremorris

Leinster
    Birr
    Casement
    Dublin Airport
    Kilkenny
    Mullingar
    Rosslare

Ulster
    Malin Head
    Clones

Munster
    Shannon Airport
    Valentia
    Cork Airport

As sunshine is only from 7 stations, I don't think its worth dividing into provinces.

• Advertisement

Overall Irish Mean is 6.6c as of the 10th. Missing data from 3 stations so approximation used. Danno is closest for 3rd day running.

Forecast graph can be viewed here

Overall Irish Mean is 6.6c as of the 10th. Missing data from 3 stations so approximation used. Danno is closest for 3rd day running.

Forecast graph can be viewed here

Met Eireann have caught up with the missing data and overall mean is 6.7c, 1.6C above the overall mean of the 13 stations for february.

Temperature and rainfall data from
    http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp

Overall mean now 6.8c as of the 11th. Danno closest for 4th day running.

Forecast graph here.

Overall mean now 6.8c as of the 11th. Danno closest for 4th day running.

Forecast graph here.

And here's the updated trend thanks to Paddy keeping the numbers:)
    FOIM11.png

Overall mean remains at 6.8c as of the 11th. 1.7c above normal. Data for Belmullet has yet to be confirmed but Trogdor or Mothman may have more updated info later.

Danno in lead for 5th day running, and while Danno is in the lead, things are just too damn mild.

Forecast graph can be viewed here so it can just in case ya might want to check up on things..like, ya wide?

Danno in lead for 5th day running, and while Danno is in the lead, things are just too damn mild.

Don't worry, I am going for a cold March: 5.7c :p:p:p

Overall mean remains at 6.8c as of the 11th. 1.7c above normal. Data for Belmullet has yet to be confirmed but Trogdor or Mothman may have more updated info later.

Forecast graph can be viewed here so it can just in case ya might want to check up on things..like, ya wide?

Belmullet data is there now but it doesn't change todays overall mean which is still at 6.8C although a few stations have started to fall for the first time this month after peaking on the 11th
    FOIM12.png

I've a new graph, but I'll put it in next post so thtait'll be at top of page for those who view 20 posts a page.

I thought I'd plot the mean max and mean min beacuse the last few days have been interesting with the min dropping and max rising. This plot is from the data of 17 stations. The usual 13 plus, Finner, Johnstown Castle, Roches Point and Knock

• Advertisement

Overall mean as of the 13th remains at 6.8c. Stagnation. Data for Mullingar still unavailable. Trogdor may have more updated info later.

Well done Danno, 6 days in a row.

Advertisement