Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Problem

Options
  • 23-01-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Just bought a Hiper 580W Modular PSU from adverts.ie to replace my old 300W.

I have a P4 2.6, 1 gig DDR2 with the Asus P4C800.

At the moment its only powering the motherboard, 2 HDDs, 1 ATI x1950 AGP Video card (requires 2 4 pins) and my sound card.

Everything appears to be connected fine. I have a green light on the motherboard which is saying that it has power. The switch on the back of the PSU is on. I press the power button and the cpu fan moves about 1cm, attempting to spin and the back fan of the PSU spins. That's about all that happens. I'm quite baffled as to what the problem could be.
    I tried taking out the ram but this didnt make a difference. I also tried switch the cable which goes from the wall into the PSU, no difference. It seems to be something fundamental, but not sure what.
    Any ideas?
    dela.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

Okay, I got it powering up now, it was the soundcard small power connector that was shorting out I believe.
    Now I only have the ATX1 & 2 connected, videocard, and 1 harddisk. Problem now is that the monitor just sits in orange. I pull out the VGA cable and it goes to green saying that it hasnt got a signal (so at least we know everything is fine with the monitor until it reaches the videocard), then i push the vga in and it still stays in orange yet everything appears to be powered.

The x1950 AGP requires 2x 4 pin power cables. The old 300W powered it and it displayed, so the motherboard is compatable. Not sure about this one. The bios also doesnt beep at all, just nothing from the bios.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

Got it sorted, it was the ram in the end!

Advertisement