Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number of Seatbelts in a 6 berth ?

• 23-01-2008 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just about to take the plunge and go to Germany to buy a 1 year old Motorhome. I've been looking at Euramobils and Superbrigs. All 6+Berths. However, I can only see two seat belts in the rear. I have 3 children and will require 3 belts in the rear. Is it normal for 6 Berths to have only 4 seat belts - 2 in the front cabin and two in the back ? Can additional seat belts be added ?

Thanks,
    Clive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unfortunately there is no standard that says how many seats there have to be per berth and how many of them have to have belts.

The only thing to be sure is to ask / specify how many belts you need.

Seatbelts can be retro-fitted, but it's a bit of an act as you need a steel underconstruction that has to be fixed to the chassis.

This was a topic here before and people reported difficulties in finding someone here that would do it.

Best thing for you to do is make sure before you travel that "your" motorhome has the required amount of three point belts (or that the seller can and would retrofit before you collect)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ypres

Hi, I don't know about the Euramobils and Superbrigs in particular but we've have a 6 berth Dethleffs with 6 seatbelts and a 6 berth Hobby with only 4 seatbelts. Check out the spec for these campers online to see if the models you're looking at have 6 seatbelts or not. HTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Ok, thanks for the advice.
    I'll have a look at the Dethleffs.
    It just seems odd that a motorhome can sleep 6 but only legaly seat 4 !!!!
    Thanks,
    Clive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

most modern vans will have 2 belts up front, 2 full belts at the diner facing forward, and 2 lap belts at the diner facing backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's not that odd, really.

On most motorhomes the dinette/eating area con be transformed into a (usually pretty uncomfortable) double bed ...so the maker advertises this as a double berth.

Most consumers on the other hand prefer to leave the dinette intact at all times and get extra fixed beds instead (either bunks or a raised double in the back in addition to the double in the alcove).

So these people would only ever use four beds and so only ever need four seats.

As motorhome makers like to scrimp and save as well, the extra two seats with belts may come in only as an extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I've just had a quick look in the MMM(Motorcaracan Motorhome Monthly) magazine, at the back there is an extensive buyers guide with their specifications. There's quiet a few that appear to have same ammount of seats and seatbelts. Euromobils all appear to have only 4 belts. It might be worth picking up a copy of MMM to give yourself an idea of whats out there.

One interesting thing is that all Hymer seem to have more belts than berths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Is it a legal requirement to have seatbelts on rear facing seats? I see a lot of rear facing seats have lap belts only.

Advertisement