Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sail Training on the asgard II

• 23-01-2008 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

ii am surprised that there are no threads on the asgard 2 sail training vessel. Has anyone done it, and have any interesting stories to tell? I have thought about doing it myself several times, have not done it yet though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

Hey yeh Im really interested in that aswell! I hope to go sometime soon! Ive never done it so if you know anything about it let me know! It looks like a great way to spend a few days!

I'm saving up to do it myself.

How early should you book if you want to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Hot Dog

1 or 2 months seems to be about right, more for the summer cruises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cmb

How early should you book if you want to do it?

book as early as you can. my friend did it last year and hea applied in feb but didnt find out until easter but id still apply asap as places go fast. ive applied for the first tall ships race to liverpool this summer. Can't wait!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

I applied ages ago as I was lead to believe that it was hard enough to secure a position on board. I got a confirmation yesterday and will be setting sail on the 5th of May. I'm so excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭TheBigRedDog

Anyone head over to the open day? So what did you think? I thought it was brilliant! something i'd love to do! Altho hardly suited for a person of 6'+:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jos Elkink

When / where is the open day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Altho hardly suited for a person of 6'+:(

I'm 6'3" and had no problems :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

How was it? Good i guess, really interested in going on it myself soon!

• Advertisement

I have to say that it was absolutely brilliant. One of the best experiences of my life. It depends what you are looking for though. I was interested in meeting people, challenging myself and learning a bit about sailing. It was all that and more. I was pretty scared of heights but by the end of the trip I was climbing the mast with no problems. There is a curfew of 12 which didn't bother me in the least but may bother some people. Sometimes, when at sea, going on watch is tough. For the most part it's grand, but there was always one hour where I got really tired and cold, but a cup of tea soon sorted me out. The food was yumm. Think I put on weight. The only drawback, and I wouldn't even call it a drawback, was that I'm in my 20's and the majority of the crew was quite young, around 16/17, but there were plenty of people who were my age or older so it wasn't so bad. If you have any questions, PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I just spent the past 18 days as one of the trainees on the Asgard for the first leg of the Tall Ships Race from Liverpool to Maloy in Norway and I have to agree, it was easily one of the best experiences of my life. Everything about it was great, the craic on board, the atmosphere in the two cities, the parade of sail down the River Mersey with 70 something other tall ships, the start line just off the coast of Northern Ireland, the food, the crew parties, getting to know some of the other crews from different ships from around the world, everything!

Hit me up with a PM if any of you want any info on anything, but I'd really have to encourage every single one of you to go for it, its a once in a lifetime kinda thing which you'll never forgot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

I spent some time on Asgard during the Tall Ships Race a few years ago and it was brilliant! It doesn't matter what sort of experience you have or don't have already but you have to be willing to work hard at all parts of sailing including cooking, cleaning, the deck, 4am watches etc. As deise59 said, the atmosphere on board and off (during Tall Ships Race anyway) is fantastic.
    When I was on it was mostly people 16-20 who were their but you can go on if you're older. The same rules apply to everybody except that over 18s are allowed to drink offshore.

Sailing a big ship like the Asgard II is a different experience from dingy-sailing or cruising!

I don't know how difficult it is to get on but I've heard that spaces can fill up really quickly!
    More info on their website here: http://www.asgard2.ie/

For a similar experience on a smaller boat I really recommend the Ocean Youth Trust Ireland - website here: http://www.oyti.org. They have two large cruisers (Lord Rank and Four Sisters). I was on the Lord Rank a year ago and it was brilliant again - like the Asgard II but more informal. (Also food not as good as on the Asgard). They're aimed mainly at young people (under 25) but it's not a requirement and they're often looking for crew for delivery trips (great craic because the crew are very relaxed! - note. not relaxed about the sailing itself....) or to help out....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Asgard II is currently sinking or has actually sunk in the Bay of Biscay. Last report was that decks were at or below waterline. Probably little chance of saving at this stage. All crew and trainees rescued by French Coastgaurd.

Had few great trips on the Asgard.

RIP (probably?)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

She has been abandoned therefore there is no one left to work on the problem and the weather in Biscay looks very poor. I would say she's gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Onion11

Am devastated over her. It was such a wonderful experience training on her. Must have been terrifying for the trainees, let alone the crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Gutted!
    I ahd a great trip on her several years back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Glad everyone's ok. Pity about the boat. Never got around to train on her.

This is so sad. I had a wonderful trip on her a few months back. I'm glad to hear that everyone that was on her is safe. The Bay of Biscay has notoriously bad weather. I hope that she can be saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cmb

my friend is on it at the moment. well she was until it sunk. they're on the island now, she says all she has is her phone and the clothes on her, not any shoes though. she seems a bit shook. i was on it only last month for 3 weeks. absolutely loved it and was planning to go back at halloween. cant believe asgard is gone:(:eek: captain and all permanent crew must be devastated

• Advertisement

Sadened to hear this tbh, was planning a trip on it soon! Hopefully it can be recovered or whatever (doubtfull) or they can secure a new one asap!

Minister O' Dea said that if it is not possible to salvage her they will 'look into' building a new one but that that would depend on whether or not the necessary skills are available.

Advertisement