Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Babysitting Rates???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

If you think the rate is unfair, either broach the topic or just make yourself unavailable.

We had new neighbours move in and they offered me 6 euro an hour for 3 kids - a baby, 4 year old and 6 year old. My initial thoughts were that it was a bit on the low side really, considering the age of the kids and the number of kids. However, I also figured that, having just bought the house with 3 young kids they're fairly strapped for cash so I agreed to it. One night I was babysitting and they went out for a little over 3 hours. I was handed 18 euro. I was a little in shock really that they counted out eighteen euro. Then it happened again. I ceased being available as I had agreed to that rate, but not rounding up the two euro to an even twenty is just downright mean. I wasn't willing to broach the money subject with them as they're literally next door neighbours and it would have been slightly awkward.

I can understand why you'd be maybe a little uneasy about broaching the subject, but seriously, you're doing way way way too much work to be paid that little. Don't be a doormat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭holdmyhand?

10 euro an hour too much to make sure your kid is being well looked after? not at all in my opinion......

i used to baby sit the next door boys, 3,6&9 from 7 - 2 every second sat... worked out 70 euro a night....but at the end of the day the kids were fed, played with, talked to, read a story put to bed...

we can all complain about the cost of childcare and babysitters, but any money spend to make sure your kid/s are in a safe caring enviroment and with a genuine caring person is worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tilda09

"living in the Dublin 6 area. I was thinking of charging about 9 euros an hour (for about 2-3 children) or a set fee of €50 per weekend night with flexible hours."

Hi there, Just wondering whether you are available to babysit and what have you decided to charge ph? Do you drive?

We live in Harold's Cross D6 and are currently looking for a babysitter? Baby boy is 13 months old and very easygoing - goes to bed at 19.00.19.30h and rarely wakes up before 7am. We're looking for someone every weekend either Friday or Saturday. We'd feed him his bedtime bottle and probably need someone from 8pm til midnight, or occasionally 1 or 2am.

Let me know if you are interested.
    tilda

• Registered Users Posts: 3 babysitter

tilda09 wrote: »
    "living in the Dublin 6 area. I was thinking of charging about 9 euros an hour (for about 2-3 children) or a set fee of €50 per weekend night with flexible hours."

Hi there, Just wondering whether you are available to babysit and what have you decided to charge ph? Do you drive?

We live in Harold's Cross D6 and are currently looking for a babysitter? Baby boy is 13 months old and very easygoing - goes to bed at 19.00.19.30h and rarely wakes up before 7am. We're looking for someone every weekend either Friday or Saturday. We'd feed him his bedtime bottle and probably need someone from 8pm til midnight, or occasionally 1 or 2am.

Let me know if you are interested.
    tilda
    hi there i live in terenure not to far from you, im 16 and would be interested in babysitting. let me know
    leahrbyrne@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3 babysitter

if anyone needs a babysitter in the south dublin area let me know,
    im 16 and im looking for a babysitting job:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭lyndak082

hi,

anyone needing a babysitter in the south tipp area? ? ?

clonmel and surrounding areas

10 yrs experience, mother of four

i think ten euro p/h is fair???? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

€10 AN HOUR IS A RIP OFF in my opinion.

Most babysitters I know are teenagers. If they were not babysitting what would they be doing? Hanging around a local shop or extravision? Out spending money from parents purse. If they land a babysitting job and get €20-25 its a saving for the parents and they can also do a bit of studying or put feet up and watch a movie and have that money in their pocket...
    €5 per hour is fine.

My nephew does our babysitting. We dont go out very often but if its only an hour he gets €20. If we are out from 8 to 12-1 or so he will get €30-40 and there will be plenty of goodies left out for him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

€5 an hour is a rip off to the teenagers. Seriously. They sit there from 8-1 and you give him 30? He could be out with his friends. At least make it worth his while. I babysit at least once a week for several different families and if they paid me that for sitting there for 5/6 hours then I would not be happy. Also, I'd much prefer them to pay me more than to leave goodies out, if I want sweets etc I'll buy them myself thanks very much.

€5 an hour is a rip off to the teenagers. Seriously. They sit there from 8-1 and you give him 30? He could be out with his friends. At least make it worth his while. I babysit at least once a week for several different families and if they paid me that for sitting there for 5/6 hours then I would not be happy. Also, I'd much prefer them to pay me more than to leave goodies out, if I want sweets etc I'll buy them myself thanks very much.

If you read my post again you will see he gets €20 if we are only out for an hour. Is that ok? I would not waste his time bringing him down for an hour and giving him €5 but this hourly rate is a bit of a joke. Maybe a minimum payment of €10-€15.

It would be unusual for us to be out 8-1am but €30-€40 its still not bad money for a teenager. Did you ever thinkl you are being a little greedy? What about the couples who are struggling and get out only an odd time? (We could go out every wekend but dont bother)

We dont leave him sweets either. We would usually leave money under phone for Chinese take away.
    If your not happy with what people pay you dont babysit for them. I think you might find after a while you would be glad to get €5 an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

anyone want to pop down to ballyvourney, cork to look after twins? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

LeoB wrote: »
    If you read my post again you will see he gets €20 if we are only out for an hour. Is that ok? I would not waste his time bringing him down for an hour and giving him €5 but this hourly rate is a bit of a joke. Maybe a minimum payment of €10-€15.

It would be unusual for us to be out 8-1am but €30-€40 its still not bad money for a teenager. Did you ever thinkl you are being a little greedy? What about the couples who are struggling and get out only an odd time? (We could go out every wekend but dont bother)

We dont leave him sweets either. We would usually leave money under phone for Chinese take away.
    If your not happy with what people pay you dont babysit for them. I think you might find after a while you would be glad to get €5 an hour.

€20 an hour is great, fair play to ya. But I'm not being greedy (in fact I've tried to give money back when they had to come early because of something, but they wouldn't take it because they felt they had booked me for the night and so I should be paid for the night). I work hard. I babysit for 4 different families, 2 of them have three kids of school going age each. Which requires me to entertain them and put them to bed, look after them if they have nightmares etc. The other 2 families have two kids each aged between 5 and ten. One of the kids is paralysed from the waist down. Now he's a lovely kid and isn't a problem but it puts me on the edge a bit. As well as this a few are afraid of the dark so it's not like I'm sitting on my bum all night (from 8 until ~2.30am)

I've never once set a rate for my services. I just take what I'm given, the people I babysit for are generous and have just fallen in to the routine of paying me this, I've never asked for anything more, I'm just saying that a fiver an hour if you're there for ages is pittance.

I hate this '... for a teenager' malarky. For some teens babysitting money is all they get if they're unemployed. For a while this was me. I was living off my meager savings and babysitting money. I had to use this getting myself to and from college (either petrol or train) any books/stationary etc. Lunch on most days as well as trying to maintain some sort of social life.

The very least I would expect to be paid would be €8 an hour and I honestly don't think that's asking too much. When people ask me to come look after their kids, they know how much they should expect to pay, they shouldn't expect me to accept less (less as in €5/hour) just because they can't afford it, otherwise they shouldn't go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

If anybody in Cork (city and suburbs) is looking, I can babysit.

I'm a 20 year old medical student. I have over 6 years of experience with newborns, teens and all ages in between. I love kids, I don't smoke. I have Garda clearance, first aid training, and excellent references.

Send a PM if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its quite different paying a teenager or a grown woman with childcare qualifications. There is no way in this climate id pay a teenager 10 euro an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Its quite different paying a teenager or a grown woman with childcare qualifications. There is no way in this climate id pay a teenager 10 euro an hour.

As a qualified childminder that's insured, trained in occupational first aid, HSE inspected, has a car, a mother of two with over 30 years experience minding other peoples children with a string of references I wouldn't charge as much as €10 per hour for evening or weekend babysitting, maybe if it was an occasion like a wedding and 2 families wanted their children minded.

I think €7 - €8 per hour is enough for parents to be paying especially in the current economic climate and I know what it's like having to pay for babysitters too from when my children were younger.

I also wouldn't expect my teenager to charge that much. Parents can benefit from a few hours break from their children and if it's a fair rate then they can enjoy it without clock watching or feeling ripped off.

I wouldn't mind babysitting if I was getting €7 - €8 per hour.

€20 an hour is great, fair play to ya. But I'm not being greedy (in fact I've tried to give money back when they had to come early because of something, but they wouldn't take it because they felt they had booked me for the night and so I should be paid for the night). I work hard. I babysit for 4 different families, 2 of them have three kids of school going age each. Which requires me to entertain them and put them to bed, look after them if they have nightmares etc. The other 2 families have two kids each aged between 5 and ten. One of the kids is paralysed from the waist down. Now he's a lovely kid and isn't a problem but it puts me on the edge a bit. As well as this a few are afraid of the dark so it's not like I'm sitting on my bum all night (from 8 until ~2.30am)

I've never once set a rate for my services. I just take what I'm given, the people I babysit for are generous and have just fallen in to the routine of paying me this, I've never asked for anything more, I'm just saying that a fiver an hour if you're there for ages is pittance.

I hate this '... for a teenager' malarky. For some teens babysitting money is all they get if they're unemployed. For a while this was me. I was living off my meager savings and babysitting money. I had to use this getting myself to and from college (either petrol or train) any books/stationary etc. Lunch on most days as well as trying to maintain some sort of social life.

The very least I would expect to be paid would be €8 an hour and I honestly don't think that's asking too much. When people ask me to come look after their kids, they know how much they should expect to pay, they shouldn't expect me to accept less (less as in €5/hour) just because they can't afford it, otherwise they shouldn't go out.

Dont be playing with my words, he does not get €20 an hour, we give him minimum of €20

When I say for a teenager Dont be offended. Most people are finding things a little tight at the moment with paycuts, levies and job losses so €5 an hour is not unreasonable. The baby sitter gets a few bob and the couple get out for a few hours that my angle on it.

As I say our babysitter gets €20 minimum and I would be in favour of a minimum booking fee where you would be guarenteed a certain amount of money (€20). But as the price goes up so does the chances of people getting a take out and staying at home. The families you babysit for are lucky to have you and its good they treat you well. Not all families are in a position to treat people that well. Who knows the stress some people are under with nortages ect. I would like to think (and we are not under pressure),We treat our babysitter well also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I babysat for a few different families over the last two years. When asked for rates I usually suggested an option 8 to 10 euro an hour and then they picked.

It really depends on the family. I minded one child for a family which included a rather complicated bedtime routine lol and got 10 euro an hour. A different family I minded 4 kids and got 8 euro an hour. Weirdly the 4 kids were actually easier to mind too!

If anybody in Cork (city and suburbs) is looking, I can babysit.

I'm a 20 year old medical student. I have over 6 years of experience with newborns, teens and all ages in between. I love kids, I don't smoke. I have Garda clearance, first aid training, and excellent references.

Send a PM if you're interested.
    suburbs of macroom :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chelle belle

busygirl wrote: »
    We are just about to use a new babysitter, age 15. Our previous one was a maturer girl who worked in a creche. She charged €10 per hour, but because we knew her and the kids got on well with her we figured it was worth it. It did make our night out very expensive if we were out from 8 to 1 or 2 am. However due to her age it is not always possible to get her.

I don't want to set the same precedent for the new girl as this is her first babysitting job and she has only just turned 15. I feell if we ask her that she won't suggest an amount

What are the going rates, should we pay a set nightly amount or pay by the hour, we don't go out very often and when we do it is usually 8 - 12 or so.
    €5 per hour for a girl that age should be sufficent,i would imagine you dont go far from home and wont stay out too late till everyone settles to the new arrangement ,My sister babysits twice per week for me,most times mid week or an odd weekend night,she is 17 and gets €25 a night..I understand family is different but any girl in the 15/16 year old bracket should be happy with that amount,as the trust and relationship builds and of course as she gets older you should increase this,i respect and as a single mum value a good honest childminder but at 15 i think its still best to set an amount and keep within a half hour of your leave/come back time.Discreetly ask her parents? I presume you would know them or they are contactable and you know would be approachable on the matter, at that age they should prob know too how much money she gets too,without sounding the prude which i am by no means,im the eldest by a long way of 4 sisters : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Jess18

I think €10 an hour is alot to ask for, especially for only one child.

I am doing a degree course in early childhood education, have about 4-5 years experience in childcare, and provide my own food and transport when babysitting. I work hard ensuring that children are supervised and stimulated at all times, providing activities which promote their development and learning, treating them with love and respect as if they were my own and would still not ask for more than €7/8 per hour.

I babysit for a number families in my neighbourhood, most have 2/3 children and get paid €7 an hour, both myself and the parents are happy with this. :)

Although I understand if some people are doing babysitting as their only job they would have to charge more. I'm a student and although babysitting is the only job I have, I babysit because I enjoy spending time with children and it is a job that I love to do, so I'm not too concerned about what I'm being paid.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

We have paid anything from 8-12 euro an hour!!

However in this climate I think €8 per hour & €10 after midnight would be fair??
    Plus anyone who has babysat for us has access to Sky, DVD's & always leave out drinks & treats ( don't know how other wouldnt do this???)

On another note we will be moving to the Foxrock area in the next couple of wks & will be looking for a good Babysitter - youngest child is 15mths & oldest is 4.5... Baby would be in bed but need someone who would be able to manage him if he woke up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I babysit from 8-12 for 25 euro, plus get dropped home. Live in estate up the road so walk down or get dropped. They're great always have food and drinks there for me and love doing it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

marley123 wrote: »
    We have paid anything from 8-12 euro an hour!!

However in this climate I think €8 per hour & €10 after midnight would be fair??
    Plus anyone who has babysat for us has access to Sky, DVD's & always leave out drinks & treats ( don't know how other wouldnt do this???)

On another note we will be moving to the Foxrock area in the next couple of wks & will be looking for a good Babysitter - youngest child is 15mths & oldest is 4.5... Baby would be in bed but need someone who would be able to manage him if he woke up!

Marley123, my sister is currently looking for a few babysitting jobs in that area. She is a mature transition year student and great with my own daughter (8 months) and kids in general. If you want any more details PM me :)

Back OT, I used to get 10e per hour babysitting 2 girls aged 10 &12. This was the rate suggested to me by the parents themselves and I went along with it. Although in all honesty there wasn't much work involved - for the most part just chatting/playing or maybe watching a movie.

I wouldn't except the same money now for children that age now, younger children where there is significantly more work involved then maybe, it honestly depends on the family. If they were people I genuinely liked with reasonably good kids then 6/7e per hour would be just as good, maybe slightly higher after midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tinner777 wrote: »
    suburbs of macroom :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi, are u still available for babysitting?

Looking for someone for tonight - organising a surprise 30th party for my wife and regular babysitter is attending.

Barry

bariona wrote: »
    Hi, are u still available for babysitting?

Looking for someone for tonight - organising a surprise 30th party for my wife and regular babysitter is attending.

Barry 085-7791374

sorry barry i was looking for someone as well

Advertisement