Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...Boston

• 23-01-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend stuff to do in Boston?

It's for me, my Mam and two teenage sisters.

We'll primarily be shopping but hoping to spend a day taking in sights and the likes!

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 zemphis

One way to cover the major historical bits in Boston is the Freedom Trail (http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/) which is a red brick path which winds around Boston. Some bits are a bit of a walk so pick and choose what you see. I'd recommend the area around Quincy Market and Fanueil Hall and around North Boston.

Other places would be Boston Common and the 'Frog Pond' which is usually an ice-rink in winter and a paddling pool in the summer.

If you are a fan of Cheers, the Bull and Finch Pub, on Beacon Hill, is where the exterior shots were filmed. While down in Faneuil there is a mock up of the interior.

If you want something inside, the aquarium was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Hiya,

Lucky you.. Boston eh

The best shopping I did in Boston was actually in Wrentham Village the outlet centre.. the shops in Boston are pricey as they have a high sales tax.

Zemphis is spot on re the freedom trail, very good to do

There's a few good Irish bars(of course), one called Roisin Dubh on State St if you're into that

You've also gotta try some chowder :p

Enjoy

Ladybird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Check out the prudential centre. You can't miss it if your shopping in boston. Take the lift up to the restaurant and enjoy the view. I think its the highest building in Boston. The view is great, staff are sound and the food is really good. Oh, get the cookies for desert if they still do em and check out the cocktails.

Fenway park is a must but I don't think the season starts until April (might be wrong there). Freedom trail is worth doing. Enjoy the trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Prudential centre has a nice eating area with a good range of food. I suggest the chinese place on the right hand side....emmm orange chicken......

The aquarium is good.

boylsten street has 100's of shops and is near the prud centre too.

+1 one on all the above too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

spent the summer in boston on a j1.theres plenty to do but all depends what your looking for.the prudential tower is the 2nd tallest after the john hancock tower but the observation deck was closed there after sept 11th.well worth going up the prudential and as said its part of a big shopping centre.the best shopping centre though is the cambridge galleria across the river. the subway/tram system is called the 'T'. just take the red line northbound over the bridge to cambridge and your very close to the mall. it has all the big american chains that we all wanted anyways-abercrombie,american eagle,hollister,banana republic etc.theres a huge macys and sears there too plus tonnes of other shops. these stores are downtown in different locations but scattered about a bit.for cheap runners go to park street-great deals on runners there.for posh shops its newbury st-bring your credit card!!gucci, armani etc are all there and also in a mall called copley place is full of designer shops.
    the main touristy part of boston is centred round faneuil hall. closest 'T' is 'government center' here theres street performers, loads of nice restaurants, and it really comes alive at night with bars and clubs and that. very close to this is the aquarium, wasnt that impressed to be honest.theres only so many fish ya can see and when i when it was packed and got sick of buggies and kids.at the aquarium is all the whale watching trips too.
    if your wanting a bit of history as said there is the freedom trail which takes you around the city, but just outside the city is the jfk museum.was a bit skeptical about going but to be honest really enjoyed it and went round for a good 2 hours.at the time there was a temporary exhibit about his trip to ireland which was cool.might not be there now though.its southbound on the red line, think the stop was called jfk and when u get off theres a shuttle bus to the museum.
    if you want a guided tour the best is the "duck tour" it goes round the whole city and then it goes into the water and you go down the river.you get tickets at the prudential centre.
    for food you HAVE to eat at the cheescake factory-delicious and if youve room for dessert naturaaly the cheesecakes are class! if you like pizza, the california pizza kitchen is a must! both are in the prudential and in the cambridge mall.
    another big tourist thing that everyone does is harvard. take the red line subway northbound to harvard square.nice to say ya saw it!
    if you were there during baseball season i would have said fenway is a must for a game but that doesnt start for a while.the basketball and ice hockey seasons should be on so you could always take in a game.
    the theatre district is around boylston st if you want to see a show and chinatown is close to there too.little italy is close enough to faneuil hall.you'll see irish bars EVERYWHERE in boston.theres a huge illegal irish community in boston.food in some can be dodge (one called the purple shamrock near faneuil hall-AVOID!) but most are fairly decent for food.and as said you have to try chowder.
    thats all i can think of anyway from my 3 months there but if youve any questions go ahead.where are u stayin.if its central enough the best thing about boston is that its easy to get around by walking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement