Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice place for a weekend break in Ireland//Somewhere for a few nights away?

Options
  • 23-01-2008 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Thinking of taking my new man away for a weekend (not a dirty weekend...well maybe ha ha)....just wondering if any of ye have recommendations for somewhere in Ireland to go for a weekend. Somewhere nice and chilled and pretty but with some decent pubs/restaurants too. We're in Dublin by the way so somewhere that's pretty much the opposite of Dublin. Think we could both badly do with a break so if ye have any suggestions? Thanks girls.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 krutt

Kenmare is great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Was up in Co Clare last summer with my sister and her brats for a few days and I fell in love with the place....Lahinch or somewhere would be nice, near the sea and lots of stuff to do around there (you'd need a car though to travel to the sites), lovely pubs and people, trad music sessions at night....ah it was great, nice and chilled but great craic at the same time.

West Cork or Kerry are absolutely stunning and the same thing, great craic, lovely people etc.....but if you're driving from Dublin they're a bit of a journey. Then again so is Clare I suppose. But you'll need to travel a bit from Dublin to find those kinds of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 krutt

Why not take the stress out of it by Flying, lots of cheap flights available.

krutt wrote: »
    Why not take the stress out of it by Flying, lots of cheap flights available.

Yeah....but you'd still need a car really though wouldn't you, if you wanted to go see any of the sites...unless you just intend on spending the whole weekend in the hotel OP;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Wexford is pretty nice - not a long drive. We stayed in Whites of wexford a few months ago. They have a great leisure centre and spa. We also had a lovely Thai meal in a restaurant near the hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I love achill Island for a chilled romantic weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I've been to two nice weekends away in the apst 18 months. one in the Sligo park hotel in sligo. Has a pool etc and is near enough to the town if you're driving. It was very relaxing and we did a nice seaweed bath thing which was hilarious.

Second one was the Anathauem (sp) house in Waterford. We had a romance package and got champagne in our room and rose petals on the bed, plus chocolates. Hotel was gorgeous, is just outside Waterford and had a lovely restaurant.

i reccommend them both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

I had a lovely weekend in the Fitzwilton Hotel in Waterford. It's not a long drive and there's plenty to do down there. The hotel itself is in the city and the rooms are really nice and there's a nice bar and restaurant in it. If you check the website you can get some really good deals for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The Cooley Peninsula/Carlingford Lough in Co Louth.

Tis just an hour away from Dublin up the M1 and there are loads of hotels, restaurants and other stuff to do. Loads of lovely hillwalks in the Cooley Mountains, delicious seafood available, the Táin Trail etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Was up in Co Clare last summer with my sister and her brats for a few days and I fell in love with the place....Lahinch or somewhere would be nice, near the sea and lots of stuff to do around there (you'd need a car though to travel to the sites), lovely pubs and people, trad music sessions at night....ah it was great, nice and chilled but great craic at the same time.

West Cork or Kerry are absolutely stunning and the same thing, great craic, lovely people etc.....but if you're driving from Dublin they're a bit of a journey. Then again so is Clare I suppose. But you'll need to travel a bit from Dublin to find those kinds of places.

where you on no frontiers last night? :D
    The sister of Fiona Looney! :p

Cos she was in Lahinch with her sister and kids during the summer!

• Advertisement

DubLegs wrote: »
    where you on no frontiers last night? :D
    The sister of Fiona Looney! :p

Cos she was in Lahinch with her sister and kids during the summer!

Ha ha no, believe me if Fiona Looney was my sister I wouldn't be going on holidays with her!! Does my head in that one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

She just copying you with ur holiday ideas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Baltimore / Skibbereen,

Its a bit of a trip so if you could arrange a long 3 day wkend I would suggest there, lovely relaxing quiet, you can rent a small house just for the 2 of you or a B&B, its right beside the sea and some of the sea food restaurants are lovely but they also do a good varied menu as well. Otherwise as I think ClareB suggested Lahinch is nice as well and great for (wind)surfing if you want to try something new.

DubLegs wrote: »
    She just copying you with ur holiday ideas! :D

Definitely! And I didn't get a fecking free holiday on No Frontiers either...the biatch!
    :D
    I want a job on No Frontiers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

watna wrote: »
    Second one was the Anathauem (sp) house in Waterford. We had a romance package and got champagne in our room and rose petals on the bed, plus chocolates. Hotel was gorgeous, is just outside Waterford and had a lovely restaurant.

I've been there, about 2 years ago. I thought they completly took the p!ss TBH. In the brochure they went on about views, bathrobes, toiletries etc. We got a tiny room, looking out over the carpark, on ground level, no bathrobes, one bottle of shower gel which was not replaced on our second day there despite being nearly gone. I feel like they took advantage of the fact that we were young and most likely would not complain, which we didn't. Our fault I suppose for letting it slide. Heard the receptionist giving out about not getting a tip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

I absolutely love Galway for a nice rosemantic weekend. We usually stay in Jury's at the end of Shop St. It's the perfect location to leave the car as it's right in the city. Great restaurants and pubs, and Salthill is only a few mins away. Buzz is always great there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

myself and the OH drove from Achill to Kenmare last year and stopped off at some lovely places - Clifden, Dingle, Killarney. All lovely places, and lovely scenery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Carrick-on-Shannon - its on the train line if you dont have access to a car. Some nice little pubs and restaurants there and there is also the Moonriver cruise on Fri and Sat nights.

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Carrick-on-Shannon - its on the train line if you dont have access to a car. Some nice little pubs and restaurants there and there is also the Moonriver cruise on Fri and Sat nights.

I went on that, we were on a hen party in August, it was funny but full of rowdy people....then again we were on a hen party so we couldn't have been very well behaved either. Lovely hotel in Carrick actually, can't remember the name of it but it was really near where the boat docks, was really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Westport, Co Mayo ftw! Highly reccommend The Plaza Hotel. Rooms are just beautiful, jacuzzi bath, dinner and breakfast amazing!

http://www.westportplazahotel.ie/

Its on the train line from Heuston too. If you go for it, get a weekender ticket, much cheaper. I wish I lived further away so I could justify staying there again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

I think Galway would be lovely, have gone there loads of times with friends and my OH and each time it has been great. Lovely hotels, great restaurants and the people are so lovely and even if you don't have a car you can still hop on a bus and do a bit of sight seeing around the area.

There is so much to see and do up there and you will definitely want to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Thanks for all the suggestions girls! :) Ooooh which one to pick now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Nice hotels for you

Trim Castle Hotel- Lot of history around co Meath- great restaurant
    D Hotel Drogheda - Very central great for shopping break
    Clarion Hotel - Cork City
    Clonmel Park Hotel - A little outside Clonmel, nice spa.
    The Monart - If you have a few bob extra to spare, spa..
    G hotel- Galway.
    Slieve Russel _ Cavan golf and spa
    Cavan Crystal Hotel - V Good restaurant.

Carrick isnt bad either, Was boating last Sept, some crack..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Thanks for all that Quality! Where to choose! Cheers for the ideas girls! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Athlone? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

lol, no.

narco wrote: »
    lol, no.

Best town in Ireland for resturants.

Romantic drink by the shannon..

..and if you're lucky... u might see the sub aqua pull a floater out of water.

Quality wrote: »
    Nice hotels for you

Trim Castle Hotel- Lot of history around co Meath- great restaurant
    D Hotel Drogheda - Very central great for shopping break
    Clarion Hotel - Cork City
    Clonmel Park Hotel - A little outside Clonmel, nice spa.
    The Monart - If you have a few bob extra to spare, spa..
    G hotel- Galway.
    Slieve Russel _ Cavan golf and spa
    Cavan Crystal Hotel - V Good restaurant.

Carrick isnt bad either, Was boating last Sept, some crack..

They are all great suggestions - lucky you SM81 :)

snyper wrote: »
    ..and if you're lucky... u might see the sub aqua pull a floater out of water.

And if you are not THAT lucky you will at least see knackers fighting with slash-hooks and hammers....

• Advertisement

SarahSassy wrote: »
    And if you are not THAT lucky you will at least see knackers fighting with slash-hooks and hammers....

Not in 15 years of going out in athlone have i seen anything more than a drunken bust up amond adolesent kids outside the chipper.

Advertisement