Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice place for a weekend break in Ireland//Somewhere for a few nights away?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

http://www.loughrynn.ie/

Lots of stuff to do onsite and Carrick On Shannon is toooo far away.

SarahSassy wrote: »
    And if you are not THAT lucky you will at least see knackers fighting with slash-hooks and hammers....

Shheeszzz!

I have actually been to Athlone, and they are incredibly well behaved on a night out. I actually wonder how they ever manage to make babies, they seem too polite. The Wineport Lodge and Clonmacnoise are my idea of Romantic.

The same can't be said of Carrick on Shannon now thanks to the insufferable infestation of hen/stag revelers. Who think they have a right to act like animals, I can only presume because they haven't been let out in years.

stepbar wrote: »
    http://www.loughrynn.ie/

Lots of stuff to do onsite and Carrick On Shannon is toooo far away.

Farther away from Dublin.....Carrick is about 10 minutes more than Lough Rynn. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Quality wrote: »
    Clonmel Park Hotel - A little outside Clonmel, nice spa.

v nice hotel & if you pay for the extra nice rooms v v well worth it + lovely restaurant (Chrissy's).Quality choice aaaaaah mmmm Quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Hi,

We stayed in Knockranny House hotel in Westport. Was brilliant weekend. Westport is beautiful, great for shopping and going out at night. Lots of old pubs with music! The hotel was luxury, very fancy. Check up the website - its very pricey though!

We went to Clare. Clare is also a beatiful place. Stayed in the Lahinch Golf and Leisure hotel, 2minute walk from beach. Lots of nice restaurants, pubs, night clubs etc.. Pool, Sauna etc.. in hotel

Lovely hotels in Cavan, Sligo, Galway, Kilkenny, Kerry - If you want names let me know..

The Ramada hotels are nice and comfortable too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Any decisions yet OP?

If I could go anywhere this weekend it'd definitely be back to Co Clare somewhere...ah I need a weekend away after reading this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

+1 for Knockranny in Westport. If you have the bucks then get a room upgrade to one of the tower suites....they have a four poster and a sunken sitting room overlooking the bay and croke patrick....nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Oh that sounds nice.

otwb wrote: »
    +1 for Knockranny in Westport. If you have the bucks then get a room upgrade to one of the tower suites....they have a four poster and a sunken sitting room overlooking the bay and croke patrick....nice!

Thats sounds gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

otwb wrote: »

+2!

Or the Master Suite, jacuzzi bath with tv over it, dvd players in the bedroom AND the living room, guest bathroom, lovely view...!
    Gorgeous food, friendly staff, easy to find, amazing pool and spa...

And that's without even leaving the hotel!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 chispa

I'm looking for something fairly specific, but I'm sure there's millions of places like this out there.

My other half is working like crazy including at weekends.. I have quite a bit of work to do myself. Since we've just got a car, I'd love to take him to a nice quiet hotel or guesthouse with wi fi and really cosy rooms where he could set up all day Saturday and work away on his laptop; get a great dinner Saturday night, and then go walking in beautiful countryside on Sunday. I'm not the world's most experienced driver, so in the interests of keeping me destressed, it would want to be close enough to Dublin - thinking Wicklow/ Carlow/ Carlingford range.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Took my special lady friend here for a weekend, its great!!!

http://www.riverbankcottage.net/

pm if you want more details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This

Clogherhead in louth near drogheda... amazingess..... like 10 mins drive from drogheda town

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

sorry, just saw ur above reply, ignor my pervious post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭aranrn

Killaloe is about 2 hours drive from Dublin, you can get a room overlooking the lake for about €90. There's a couple of nice restaurants with great seafood. Plenty of pubs including a fancy one with only foreign beers. Anytime I'm there, there's a good covers band playing in the pub on the Bridge and if you're in the humour there's an old-school country dishco upstairs after. It's grand though, not full of young ones on alcopops. Good for a a laugh like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I love achill Island for a chilled romantic weekend.

+1

Kilkenny's also a good spot (just today I was thinking of going there for a surprise weekend away with the Mrs). Good pubs and places to eat and plenty of places to walk around / chill out during the day time. Also, not a very long drive from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Ok ladies is there anywhere you would recommend for a nice break away with the fella. Nothing too expensive but still nice. Something in either ireland or the UK... so where have ye been with the man in your life and thought "yeah that was nice"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Robin132 wrote: »
    Ok ladies is there anywhere you would recommend for a nice break away with the fella. Nothing too expensive but still nice. Something in either ireland or the UK... so where have ye been with the man in your life and thought "yeah that was nice"

You cant go wrong with a romantic weekend in Killarney, Id recommend the Ross Hotel, or if your feeling flush with Money the Park hotel across the road.
    The hotels are really really nice and both have their own cocktail bars.
    Also theres lots of places for rosemantic walks by the lakes etc.

.... im not from there, but go as often as I can, just love the place! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

+1 on Killarney, great spot, stayed at the Lake Hotel last year with the missus, if you spend a bit more you can get a room with a hottub in it, as in not in the bathroom, IN the bedroom, it was great, its beside a patio window so you can sit in the tub looking out over the lake, didnt want to get out of the bloody thing :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It depends on where you're from and how far you want to travel. I'm in Kildare, and am going to Westport for 3 days next month. Make sure there's a few things to do where ever you go. Killarney has the lakes, and Ross Castle. Westport has fishing, and hiking. There's bargains out there, we got 3 days for the price of 2 with breakfast and dinners included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I went to both Limerick and Galways before with an OH and we both really enjoyed it. As long as you have a nice hotel to relax in, then you will be happy ;)

Bryn wrote: »
    I went to both Limerick and Galways before with an OH and we both really enjoyed it. As long as you have a nice hotel to relax in, then you will be happy ;)

That what we do, I dont get the idea of staying in a great hotel then spending all day out wandering about in a town that probably has all the same shops that where you live has, or their equivalents, nothing wrong with a bit of sightseeing, but for me going away is all about relaxing, hotel pool, huge bed, room service, breakfast in bed, evenings spent at the bar then up in the room drinking wine and chilling out

*goes off to google hotel deals, needs weekend away:D *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

krudler wrote: »
    That what we do, I dont get the idea of staying in a great hotel then spending all day out wandering about in a town that probably has all the same shops that where you live has, or their equivalents, nothing wrong with a bit of sightseeing, but for me going away is all about relaxing, hotel pool, huge bed, room service, breakfast in bed, evenings spent at the bar then up in the room drinking wine and chilling out

*goes off to google hotel deals, needs weekend away:D *

+100000 ;):p

so what are all these nice hotels ye stayed in?? :D i know i stayed in what was the hilton in limerick and it was lovely, hotel was amazing!! just want something for a few nights away...

www.lakehotel.com

Look at it! :

hottub-in-room-separate.jpg

Hot tub in the room, lake view, what more do you want :D

Where you looking to stay? The Sheraton in Cork is fab as well, the rooms have cool walk in showers, massive bathrooms,seperate baths, if you're like me and love to spend as much time in the room as possible then go for luxury I always say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

The Merchant Hotel in Belfast....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

Reading this has really made me want to go away for a weekend!

anywhere other than meath is good!! i have no preference other than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Reading this has really made me want to go away for a weekend!

Would absolutely love it!
    think il plan a weekend away to Killarney for in a few weeks, Its been a good 6 weks since my last trip so its time! :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosiemci

I love the Killarney Plaza, the Molton Brown spa is divine.

The Heritage Golf and Spa - amazing rooms and hotel, stayed there for 3 days without leaving the grounds! The bed was something else.

Advertisement