Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband ok but no phone

Options
  • 23-01-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

hi guys. wonder could you help me.
    i have eircom broadband with the 2247 router connected by wire. i was having a problem with the internet connection going down all the time. so day before yesterday i rang broadband support and they changed the "profile" :confused: of the line. the connection was as bad so they changed it back. said they would pass my complaint on to engineers.

then yesterday i started to get some crackleing on the house phone an eircom 4012 dect cordless which is connected to the master socket. then in the middle of a call i lost the call. on the phone screen it said "line interrupted". and nothing since only noise.

i have tried another phone but no joy.

there is a dsl filter at the back of the router. did not need one on the phone line but put one in just in case but still no joy.

any help appreciated

regards shovel

so i have broadband (sometimes) but no phone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

shovel wrote: »
    so i have broadband (sometimes) but no phone

You need to contact Eircom, if your phoneline is not working then it will affect your broadband level of service, which is ( fooked ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Removed all the phones and the modem from the sockets and connect up just the phone with no filter on the main socket... is there still crackling?

Remove all the phones and connect up just the modem with no filter to the socket and test the Broadband connection for stability... is it still dropping out?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

sorry what i should have asked as well is are the two incidents connected?

shovel

thanks username. will try that and post back

shovel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

sorry what i should have asked as well is are the two incidents connected?

shovel

Broaband is provided on your phoneline, so the answer is Yesss!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

Same happened to friend last week.

crappy Esat DSL (eircom resell), kept dropping.
    Voice was ok.

Then voice dies but DSL stays up.

Eircom are out to run new pair from kerb today.

to barlow07.

just to be clear i am wondering is is the profileing of the line by broadband support related to the phone not working. if so it is eircoms fault so i wont have to pay!! but profileing was day before yesterday not sure did phone go wrong then. only noticed it yesterday

to username. did as you suggested but still the same. have logged a fault report with eircom.

regards

shovel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

to barlow07.

just to be clear i am wondering is is the profileing of the line by broadband support related to the phone not working. if so it is eircoms fault so i wont have to pay!! but profileing was day before yesterday not sure did phone go wrong then. only noticed it yesterday

If there is a problem on the line then you won't have to pay for repairs as it's eircom's line and their responsibility to make sure it works. Assuming both problems are related (very likely) then when they fix the voice issue, your broadband should be working fine.

Changing some things in your profile would be unlikely to be the cause of the current problem, especially since they changed it back. I think this is just a tweaking of the upload/download ration and not much else.

before the bloody broadband gives up as well can i ask two more things.

1) what is " changeing line profile"

2) on my 2247 router there are four lights lit up green (left to right)

power

ethernet 1

dsl

internet

when my internet connection goes down the last light (internet) goes red

when i was onto broadband support the guy said that because the dsl light was staying green the internet connection was ok up to the router and because the internet light was going red that the problem was between the router and pc.

is this correct ?

the router and pc are connected by a cable so i can,t se how that can be the case.

regards

shovel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

before the bloody broadband gives up as well can i ask two more things.

1) what is " changeing line profile"

2) on my 2247 router there are four lights lit up green (left to right)

power

ethernet 1

dsl

internet

when my internet connection goes down the last light (internet) goes red

when i was onto broadband support the guy said that because the dsl light was staying green the internet connection was ok up to the router and because the internet light was going red that the problem was between the router and pc.

is this correct ?

the router and pc are connected by a cable so i can,t se how that can be the case.

regards

shovel
    The Netopia is probably set to On-Demand... this is when if it detects connection (the Ethernet) it logs on to the internet, then the Internet light goes green.

Set this to Always ON. In your Internet browser, go to...

Start
    If no Start... Expert Mode
    Yes, Enter Expert Mode
    Configure
    Connection
    Connection Type (Set this to Always ON)

• Advertisement

thanks user name, was set to on demand.have changed that to always on and will see how i get on. i always turn the router off when not useing pc - computer in press with doors to keep small kids away- is it still ok to turn router off

regards
    shovel

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe its already been covered, but this is in the FAQ
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54381143&postcount=6

Its ok to power routers off when not in use.

thanks cabaal. just that could not find any reference to line profileing in the faq's and any if any effect on the landline.

thanks again

Advertisement