Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mild Non-Fishy Fish :)

• 23-01-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have started to eat tuna in the last 6 weeks. Its the only fish I have ever eaten as I always hated it growing up. So now I wish to broaden my fishy horizons :D

What is a good non fishy tasting fish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pretty much all white fish is mild. I dont like salmon, marckrel etc, but love all white fish- cod, haddock, whiting, plaice

lidl do frozen white fish fillets pretty cheap (unbreaded)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

TheGooner wrote: »
    I have started to eat tuna in the last 6 weeks. Its the only fish I have ever eaten as I always hated it growing up.

Have a look here it might help, just because you hated fish growing up doesn't necessarily mean you'll hate it now, i recently introduced a fish hating friend of mine to makerel and haddock and he liked both!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If there are certain fish you're not sure of, try it in a fish curry or something like that. I like turbot and halibut, steaky fish, but they're bloody expensive here. Dunnes were selling whole salmon recently for e10 a piece. That's good value, you could certainly get four meals out of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

As above. John Dory is one of my favourites. If it's an oily fish like Makerel you need to avoid pan-frying, a grill would suit better.

TBH if you liked fresh Tuna then you'll probably don't worry about the 'fishyness'.

I'll move this out to the main F&D forum. You'll get plenty of advice there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

First go for fish that's as fresh as you can get it, because that takes out a lot of the potentially unpleasant fishiness. Then go for pre-prepared fillets, ready pin boned and skinned or at least descaled if you want the skin on, make your life easier.

Learn to cook it as well - different cuts and kinds of fish respond differently and can taste very different depending on how it's cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm not a fish fan either but am easing my way in to it with fresh tuna steaks. They taste quite meaty to me so I can stomach them!

EDIT: oh, you are eating Tuna. My bad. I'm not with it today. Are you eating the steaks? I've found myself able to stomach salmon cooked in things now too (but not fillets just yet!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

think the canned tuna is supposed to be better for you than the fresh tuna steaks, but love them anyway!

Advertisement