Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George Burley new Scotland manager

• 23-01-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite fully done but unless something extraordinary happens the Southampton man has the job.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

*Sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Duzzie

GB has come in for a lot of flack recently. I aint surprised at all he has decided to walk. Seems like the tidiest way from both his and saints point of view. Neither side loose face.

Unfortunately, until they sort the shambles in the board room, any manager that comes in is on a looser from the start. I am 100% sure that the problems on the field are due to the boardroom nonsence rather than anything GB has done.

I wish him luck in his venture into international management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Burley's credentials in Scotland are pretty high (except with Diehard Jambo's) given his 10 game winning streak before being the first in a long line of Managers who got the boot by Romanov.

Whether he can translate this into International ability is another story entirely, I don't doubt he'll do well though, the Scottish team have a lot of talent and play well as a team together. They didn't beat France twice by pure luck, and no one expected them to do as well as they did in their European Cup Group either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was just thinking, the Southampton job would be a good one for Shearer to cut his teeth with. They still like him there i'd imagine even if it was only a few seasons. I dont see much benefit in him joining the Newcastle ranks at this point. What Keegan needs as a number 2 is a man with some tactical nous, particularly when it comes to defending, and i don't see that being Shearer.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Was just thinking, the Southampton job would be a good one for Shearer to cut his teeth with. They still like him there i'd imagine even if it was only a few seasons. I dont see much benefit in him joining the Newcastle ranks at this point. What Keegan needs as a number 2 is a man with some tactical nous, particularly when it comes to defending, and i don't see that being Shearer.

Appreciate the changing of "love" to "like" there! Given the amount of goals he scored against us it would be impossible to love him!

I just want someone who'll do a decent job. Too much to ask?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not Shearer then. Pity Neil Warnock is'nt free.

Mike.

Given the current state of the board room, couldn't see many managers clammering for the the job. We may be better off going for a young but eager person. I think we could do a lot worse that Jason Dodd. At least we know his heart is in the club and would have the clubs interest in mind. I dont want to see the club used as a stepping stone ala Hoddle.

There is still a bit of bad feeling towards Shearer for using the club as a stepping stone as a player.

Yeah Dodd has done alright at Eastleigh (not exactly comparable I know). A golden trio of himself, Benali and God would be interesting, though I'm not sure I'd ever want Le Tiss to have the job for fear of failure...

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Yeah Dodd has done alright at Eastleigh (not exactly comparable I know). A golden trio of himself, Benali and God would be interesting, though I'm not sure I'd ever want Le Tiss to have the job for fear of failure...
    Nahh Le Tiss has a cushie job with Sky. Would you give that gig up for managing the saints at the mo. I doubt it. I'm not sure he'd be able to motivate the players, he found it hard enough to motivate himself as a player, lol. Frannie is an interesting idea. Him and Doddy could make a good duo. Both bleed red and white stripes

Yeah barring a little hitch at the end, both were "lifers" in Southampton. I remember getting Fran's autograph in Inchicore around 94/95, he was always a big hero of mine. Have his little Corinthians figure here beside me. And Dodd will always go down as one of the greatest Saints servants. If not for anything else then for scoring direct from a corner against Pompey!

• Advertisement

Paul Inces name seems to be doing the rounds as a possible replacement. He did a good job at the MK Dons. Could do a lot worse than him IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

apparently Ince has it, http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=en_ie&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1126871507

we could do alot worse IMHO. apparently MK Dons play decent football.
    good timing aswell ther might just be time to breath life back into our season.

I just hope he gets the team fit again
    (the only really fit saints team I remember was under WGS)

I am with ~Rebel~ though I think we should have tried/should try to get Shearer,
    I am under no illusion, so what if Saints are a stepping stone (I would imagine Ince would want to move to a bigger club) we are f*ck all if we do not get out of the ccc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

oh & Dodd has been our defensive coach this season - it hasn't really worked out there,
    it will be interesting to see what team goes out V Bury.

P.S. Mod's; any chance of changing the thread title???????????

Advertisement