Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

christening course

Options
  • 23-01-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I went to book a christening with local parish priest the other day and he informed me that I would have to do a course before the christening. It is only for one hour one evening but does anyone else know about this?

is it compulsary....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yep, each parish as a christening team and they work with the parish priest and the new parents to ensure that they know what they are wanting to do when getting thier child christened and in swearing oaths on the child's behave to make them a memeber of thier religion.

Often a lot of churches will insist that the parents are active memebers of the parish and will have atended mass there on a regular bases before the christening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I don't think its compulsory - I certainly didn't have to do it when I had my daughter christened. I've been to christenings more recently in this parish and it was just a case of you turn up to mass on a Sunday morning and the baptism happens afterwards. Maybe its a new thing in your parish, but honestly, I can't believe they're making people go to christening courses... Marriage courses, well.. that's a whole other issue that I won't get into here, but christening courses?! Do you have to pay for it perchance?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

..one hour one evening
    If you are planning to raise your child in a particular faith it doesn't strike me a too much of a sacrifice to make?

I'm sure you'll spend much more time organising the festivities afterwards? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

In my parish I was given the impression it was compulsory, in any event it was just a couple of hours for one evening with one of the priests and the christening team. There were about 5/6 sets of parents and it was pretty painless, they explained a few things about what you need to do on the day, the candle etc, and then a little bit about what is expected of you bringing your child up as a catholic.

They only thing I was concerned about was that I had heard previously that you had to include a saints name as one of your child's names and I was against this, the priest advised that while the church prefer it is not compulsory.

To answer Embee's question, there was no charge and they had tea & biscuits too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

High&Low wrote: »

To answer Embee's question, there was no charge and they had tea & biscuits too :)

Lol, thanks for that High&Low. I think perhaps the cynic in me reared its ugly head in my previous post.

Having said that, all that you said happened at the course, with the candle, the shawl etc., was all explained to me over the phone when I booked the Christening. I don't see a reason for the course, no matter how short or free it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

presumably the priests think people are taking the piss with christenings most of the time nowadays.

My mate and hus missus had their kid christened the other day. Neither of them have been in a church for anything other than a wedding in about 15 years.

I think it's a fair enough thing to ask of parents. But presumably most of them just go to the course, and don't ever go near a church again after the christening. So, while I can see the rationale behind it, I wonder how effective it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

When we did it it was an informal chat with the priest. It took about a half hour and mostly was about the practical side of the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I think it varies from area to area. Most parishes have a lay parish council, and they organise things like this.

As High&Lo said, it is no hardship, and really not that much of an ask if you are serious about bringing your child up in the RC faith.

Advertisement