Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Audi A4 - Launched today

Options
  • 23-01-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Anybody seen the new A4 in the flesh yet? According to the papers its being unveiled in dealerships today....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Seen one of these on sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

We have it in the showroom, it's deadly!! We had a big launch for it on Wed evening, got a really great reaction to it.

If I get some pics of it tomorrow I'll post 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yeah, dropped in to a dealer to see one.

Not sure if it's as delicously handsome as the MkI or II were when they were launched and I prefer the older Audi interiors - the new ones are too BMW-like for me.

I can see the appeal though, beautifully finished, some great engines (the relatively modest 1.8 160bhp model sounds like it could be a hoot with quite low CO2).

Audi's whole slick marketing spiel kinda puts me off though - it's a me-too social climbers car. Wish Saab would get the finger out and produce something class competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

AudiChris wrote: »
    We have it in the showroom, it's deadly!! We had a big launch for it on Wed evening, got a really great reaction to it.

Launch of what? Audi? What is that? A new candy?
    Never heard of Audi.
    Does it have anything to do with Aldi?

Thank in advance for your response

BMW POWA MOOAHAHAHAHAHAHA - YOU ARE WORKING FOR THE WRONG BRAND LOL!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

pburns wrote: »
    the relatively modest 1.8 160bhp model sounds like it could be a hoot with quite low CO2
    The A4 is just getting bigger and heavier tho. I'd have me doubts that the 1.8'll be a hoot..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mick.fr wrote: »
    Never heard of Audi.

:rolleyes:

Pathetic post, mick.fr. You've been on my radar way too much recently. Do I need to spell it out to you what will happen if I see anything like this from you again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

unkel wrote: »

Pathetic post, mick.fr. You've been on my radar way too much recently. Do I need to spell it out to you what will happen if I see anything like this from you again?

While micks post lacked the humour he seems to intend, i think he was dubious of the fact that the poster has two posts to his name, and both of them are advertising the new audi launch.
    He might be jumping the gun... that is mod territory to decide if someone is spamming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

unkel wrote: »

Err, what is wrong with this post?
    Don't I have the right to talk here and make a joke.
    Did I insulted somebody or violated the forum rules. No.

If I am the only to laugh fair enough, I will understand it myself at some stage, not worth a threat or ban though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

pburns wrote: »
    Yeah, dropped in to a dealer to see one.

Not sure if it's as delicously handsome as the MkI or II were when they were launched and I prefer the older Audi interiors - the new ones are too BMW-like for me.

I can see the appeal though, beautifully finished, some great engines (the relatively modest 1.8 160bhp model sounds like it could be a hoot with quite low CO2).

I would see a BMW style interior as a plus. And it is a proper BMW style one too, with the dash facing the driver, something BMW has given up on unfortunately, so that definately is good. The A4 has gotten good reviews so far, some say it is better than the BMW 3 series, so it should be a great car indeed. One thing that concerns me is that it is priced at BMW 3 series levels, Audis traditionally were better value than BMWs. They were always a nice bit cheaper.

However, come July with our new VRT structure, Audi owners will look forward to paying a good deal more to buy their car, as well as to tax it every single year. The emissions are so much higher compared to the BMW, that the 2.0 TDI pollutes more than the BMW 318i which is petrol never mind the 318d.

Then again, Audi are introducing 'e' models, and these have BMW low levels of emissions(I think they might even be better than the BMW actually), so that will definately be of great help to Audi, and come July they can't come fast enough. BMW will be facelifting the 3 series saloon though in September, so it will be interesting to see what will happen in the coming months!

The 1.8 160 bhp boasts a turbo, and has more power than the similarly priced BMW 318i, and compared to the old A4's favoured choice by Irish buyers, the 1.6 has roughly 58% more power, so I'm sure those people will be glad of the 58 extra ponies! Though after July I have no doubt the new favoured A4 by the Irish public will be the 2.0 TDI 120 e, which boasts a lot of BMW's EfficientDynamics trickery, and a couple of other tweakls found in Bluemotion VWs like longer gearing and aerodynamic tweaks.

If Merc and the others don't do something fast they will be in a lot of trouble compared to BMW who already have the low emissions EfficientDynamics technology on the 1,3,5 and 6 series as well as the X5 and soon to be launched X6, and now hot on their heels Audi with the new 'e' models, the first of which will be the 2.8 FSI e in the Audi A8, the world's cleanest luxury car as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Got a look in one in Germany during the week - Very nice car. Especially like the new front LED type lights. Rear lights have been jazzed up nicely also.

• Advertisement

We got our second one up to the showrooms late yesterday (first one is on display inside). I was looking forward to finally taking it out for a decent spin today, but the showroom was so crazy busy that I didn't get the chance!

My customers have driven my car more than I have. Not happy... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Any pics yet?
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

EI-DAV wrote: »
    Got a look in one in Germany during the week - Very nice car. Especially like the new front LED type lights. Rear lights have been jazzed up nicely also.

has it got the daylight running lights?
    Does anyone have a rough price for the 2lt TDi? Might be looking to change my B6 model in the summer.

EDIT: Nevermind, Got info from Audi site,44k+ for those interested and it does have daylight running lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

There's a nice 360 degree view of the interior here
    Gotta say I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

mick.fr wrote: »
    Never heard of Audi.

SAD response !!! you do yourself and all the other BMW saddo's (sorry meant fans) no justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

WHITE_P wrote: »
    SAD response !!! you do yourself and all the other BMW saddo's (sorry meant fans) no justice.
    Ah, I think your been a bit hard on him. He was only trying to bring some humour to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

eamon234 wrote: »
    There's a nice 360 degree view of the interior here
    Gotta say I like it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its a nice interior. Although.. i watched Top gear, probably an old one.. It was on Dave :D
    Anyway they had the Mercedes S class and it had everything from night vision to reactive cruise control.. in other words, put on cruise control and take your foot off the pedal. If the car in front slows down, you slow down. If it stops, you stop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Sat into one in Sheehys in Naas today - nice enough although I was hoping for a bit more. Maybe it was just the model they had on show that didnt show it off in its best light - some dodgy creamy type cloth material on the seats didnt help

Or maybe it was because I sat into the R8 aswell and most motors would be a let down after that

port wrote: »
    Any pics yet?
    Thanks in advance.

Sorry, didn't get time today. I'll stick 'em up first thing Monday!

• Advertisement

JackieChan wrote: »
    has it got the daylight running lights?
    Does anyone have a rough price for the 2lt TDi? Might be looking to change my B6 model in the summer.

EDIT: Nevermind, Got info from Audi site,44k+ for those interested and it does have daylight running lights

They all have the daytime running lights, but you only get the cool looking LED lights if you get Xenons, otherwise you just get bulbs.

If you're looking to change in the summer, check out the VRT Changes sticky - it has some good information on what's likely to happen on 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

PM sent chris, feel free to answe here if you want to avoid similar questions.

If you're looking to change in the summer, check out the VRT Changes sticky - it has some good information on what's likely to happen on 1st July.

Are Audi(and sister VAG companies VW, Seat and Skoda) going to follow BMW's lead and pass on VRT savings in full to the consumer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

E92 wrote: »
    Are Audi(and sister VAG companies VW, Seat and Skoda) going to follow BMW's lead and pass on VRT savings in full to the consumer?
    Promises, promises. BMW have passed on nothing yet, and we won't know what they'll do until they actually do it.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Promises, promises. BMW have passed on nothing yet, and we won't know what they'll do until they actually do it.

Of course they're not going to do it now! Why would you give away as much as 10 grand on every car you sell? But the Marketing MD Michael Nugent is on record as saying that they will in full, or if they don't they will have increased the specification instead, so it will be completely self evident to anyone who has done their bit of research that they aren't trousering anything.

E92 wrote: »

I'm the wrong person to ask (I don't know what the distributor's thinking, I merely sell the things) and this is the wrong place to ask me - I'm contributing to these boards as both a fan of cars and as someone who might have some knowledge worth sharing, AND as someone who wants to receive the knowledge of others! I'm neither here as a representative of Audi or the garage I work for.

(I don't mean that to sound as defensive as it does, I'm just trying to be unambiguous).

Edit: Although I (personally) presume Audi will do the same as any other manufacturer - either pass on the savings or increase the spec. You wouldn't believe how dog-eat-dog this industry is, you couldn't trouser anything without seriously impacting your competitiveness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

i saw the new a4 up in belgard motors. They have it pimped out with nearly 11k worth of extras on the show room version.
    It looks nice. To be honest , I know i am probably going completely against the grain, but i did not find it particularly special looking. It looks nice, but i found myself asking.. does it look 40k+ nice. I know there is more to cars than their appearances but for me its an important part when spending that sort of money. I was surprised at my own reaction because i find the r8 and some of the other audi designs absolutely gorgeous. This just did not float my boat. Similarly the 3 series does nothign for me at all aesthetically.
    Money no option, i would opt for 3 series or an alfa 159(if i was letting the heart completely dictate).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd have to agree. Saw this car yesterday in the flesh and to honest there is nothing unique enough about it over anything else in this segment for me to spend all that money on it. And even then you have to pay extra for all then nice things that the demo models have.

Yes it is probably a good car but no better imo than the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 the history of

Seen A4 strongly advertised in salzburg recently, on every biilboard. looks amazing, A5 less practical but better styling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have only seen pics in the mags, but would be surprised if it looks as fantastic as people think.

From the reviews I read its still no match for the 3 series or the new C Class.

Advertisement