Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Professional Bodies

• 23-01-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

I presume there are lots of members of Engineers Ireland on the forum, but who is a member of other professional (engineering) bodies e.g. in the UK/US? Is it worthwhile joining them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

im a member of the iei and iet. IET is very good, great publications, but im not a huge fan of the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

I'm a member of the ICE. As above the publication New Civil Engineer is brilliant but there are no other immediate benefits.

If thinking of working abroad i.e. Far east, asia etc I believe being a chartered member of the UK bodies would be more recognisable to employers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

sorry, forgot about the benifits, there are training courses and a postage library. plus outside business benifits and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 GenericUser

Am a member of the IET for quite a while now.
    Ive gotten great benefit out of it.
    Its usually a better bet to be in the IET if you are in Electrical, Electronic, IT type sectors. That said EI cater for everyone, (But there is an evident bias towards civil / sturctural types) and in Ireland the IET and EI complement each other and run joint events.
    You can do CEng with either aswell, and the process is largely the same for both. As a previous poster has said, the IET have very good publications in both the business and the technical side of engineering, along with a very big library , online resources and in terms of member size, they have a huge network.
    Both Institutions run a large amount of events in Ireland every year, its well worth heading along to a few, if you have the chance.

Advertisement