Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Adapted Car

• 23-01-2008 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My brother has got downs syndrome and my dad is getting a new car to suit this.

My brother is 18 but downs syndrome has meant he is the size of about a 13 year and no speech/movement. His wheelchair is large enough.

I need some help on a car as the previous car was a standard car which suited fine but wheelchair does not fit anymore. My dad will be using it for work and stuff as well as transporting my brother.

My question is are there good cars out there that can be fitted with car seat and room for large wheelchair in boot (or whereever) or would be better going for a fully adapted car.

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Note to Mods: Would prefer this not to be moved to motor forum as think this forum would have best advice, thanks.

Comments

As he is a passanger the adaption is just to the seat. It can be fitted to any standard car, and you can reuse the seat for the next car.
    Here is a list of people who do adaptations http://www.iwa.ie/mobility/vehilcelAdaption.aspx

There are a number of tax relifes available to your father.
    They are detailed here.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/transport-and-disability/tax_relief_for_disabled_drivers_and_disabled_passengers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'm in the same situation as your father (wheelchair bound daughter). He's entitled VAT and VRT off as long as the car's adaption is 10% of the cost of the car. There's also relief on motor tax and VAT on fuel.

Personally I'd suggest he looks at car suitable for wheeling the chair on, rather than going for a seat due to the age and weight of your brother (even if he is the weight of a 13 year old).

If he's against getting a van type car you can always go with getting the floor lowered on an mpv (Although that will seriously effect its resale).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Cheers for the replies, hopefully going to look next week as things have been a bit hectic lately. Looking at something like the Citreon Berlingo or Renault Kangoll. Anybody have experience with these cars?

Have looked at the VRT and VAT rebates and will be able to get that back no problem. Helps as can get a better car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Furkin_Bastage

First thing he'll need is a primary medical cert from the doctor.
    But best of luck with the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

You can also bring in pre owned adapted vehicles from abroad (eg the uk) afaik the car has to be at least 10 months old. I bought a converted berlingo last year from the UK, and did not have to pay any vrt, tax etc, we still get the the car tax foc and duty rebate on the fuel. Note, they will check the vehicle before issuing a vehicle licencesing cert (reg number)

• Advertisement
Advertisement