Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garage issue

Options
  • 23-01-2008 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

quick question - one of the girls i work with got her car serviced at a garage last thursday.

on Friday the car broke down and the gargage the AA brought it to said the timing belt was gone and it would cost €800/900 euro to get it fixed.

does anyone know if she has any come back with the garage considering she got it serviced and they should have picked up on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

hi guys,

quick question - one of the girls i work with got her car serviced at a garage last thursday.

on Friday the car broke down and the gargage the AA brought it to said the timing belt was gone and it would cost €800/900 euro to get it fixed.

does anyone know if she has any come back with the garage considering she got it serviced and they should have picked up on it?

unfortunately she has no come back, a sevice is standard service, checking oil, breaks, filters, tyre pressure. If it needed anything else they would let you know that a certain part may need to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

cheers Barlow :)

just said i would check

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Timing belt should be replaced every 70k +/1 miles afaik depending on the make/model of car, when was the last time she got it replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cabaal wrote: »
    Timing belt should be replaced every 70k +/1 miles afaik depending on the make/model of car, when was the last time she got it replaced?

Incorrect. Intervals can be more or a lot less.

OP timing belts can fail at any time, if it was inside the limit for the car she may have a comeback from the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

cool guys thanks a million for your help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Frank11

shop around, i'm sure she could get that done a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

It may be possible to get the belt done cheaper, but just to point out, the timing belt is already gone. This means the valves could be banjaxed. The engine probably needs to be opened up and checked. Worst case scenario is that its badly damaged. That is where the real cost is going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Frank11 wrote: »
    shop around, i'm sure she could get that done a lot cheaper.

She probably has to get it fixed in the garage the AA dropped it into. Unless she fancies trying to tow it to another garage herself.

Advertisement