Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus EEEpc: Does installing XP on sd affect the internal flash?

• 23-01-2008 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi, I'm new to boards and this is my first post. To be honest I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this kid of stuff, but I'm sure most of you are, so here goes...

I recently bought an Asus EEEpc [2GB Surf]. I enjoy using it w/ the linux operating system but I'd like to use XP. I was advised against installing XP because supposedly it'd take it's toll on the max read/write of the internal flash memory (plus i'm sure 2GB wouldn't be enough). On www.eeeuser.com they show you how to install XP on an 8GB SDcard and boot from that... what I'm wondering is: If XP is installed on and booting from an SD Card, then will this only affect the max read/write of the SD card's flash memory? or will it affect the internal laptop flash memory? (because I'd prefer to replace an SD card than a laptop wink.gif)

Thanks in advance if you can help me....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I cant see why you would have any problems to be honest. And welcome to boards.ie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I heard this also but am sketchy on exact detail. If anything, the small amount of RAM would cause Windows to swap memory (use the page file) on the drive, resulting in more read and write operations.

Of course this would happen in the preinstalled Linux distro also but it could be assumed that this software would attempt to curtail this seeing as it's somewhat dumbed down (down flame me :)).

If you do install it, it might be worth turning off the eye-candy: use the classic theme, turn off the transitions/animations, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That version of windows doen't work on laptops, they have removed so much stuff! even battery support :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

evilXP works though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Or Xp essentials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KhannarMurr

So like even though its installed on the SD it'll still affect the laptop's flash memory?

That's a load of bollocks :D

Thanks for info lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Whats wrong with linux? I'd never dream of havin a laptop run anything else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Im assuming all the versions of XP posted above require cd keys?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Im assuming all the versions of XP posted above require cd keys?
    Ermm... I'm guessing their using corperate keys :). The first link i found in the digg article had a clue in the website URL ;)

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 KhannarMurr

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Whats wrong with linux? I'd never dream of havin a laptop run anything else.

Coz I'm a noob! hah, just looking for the easy way out for installing stuff like guitar Pro 4 and a few emulators. I actually really like Xandros, just don't know how to mod it n' shizz :D

Advertisement