Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBS Sexton Street: Hell on earth

Options
  • 23-01-2008 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Scumbags from the city + Knackers from the county = CBS Sexton Street

Has any1 seen the video of the two lads scrapping in the chipper? Worthy of an oscar it is!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Nessans is a dive too. Ard Scoil Ris isn't much better even though it is supposedly one of the better schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ah CBS, whos the headmaster there now? twas a ****e school alright, turned out a few Trinity scholarship winners though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm an Ardscoil boy myself, but I wouldn't equate that accolade of yours to any school other than St. Enda's really. I know someone who works in there every now and again and you'd nearly want a stab vest on going in if I was to believe what I hear.

However, all schools have good and bad students, some are just better at passing their screening off as random choice. Most schools in the city with a take in of about 120 will only have 20 open spaces once the nearest primary school and siblings and children of pupils and past pupils are taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Scumbags from the city + Knackers from the county = CBS Sexton Street

Really? Isn't that a great statement!

Happen to be a student there myself you know and would just like to point out that the statement above is a pile of bollix.
    It mightn't be Blackrock or even Villiers and yeah it does have scum! But there's no certainly no ****ing need to start a thread giving it an even worse name than it has already!

I myself wouldnt go to any other school!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Seeing as he's from dooradoyle he prob went/goes to crescent comp and had a run in with someone from cbs sexton st

Can't say much about the place

go to john the baptist hospital community school myself (6th year) and were the 2nd highest school in limerick (tutorial is 1st but thats not really fair because its a leaving cert school really)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

been in most of them one time or another, perish the thought i may even know one or two of ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm an Ardscoil boy myself, but I wouldn't equate that accolade of yours to any school other than St. Enda's really. I know someone who works in there every now and again and you'd nearly want a stab vest on going in if I was to believe what I hear.

However, all schools have good and bad students, some are just better at passing their screening off as random choice. Most schools in the city with a take in of about 120 will only have 20 open spaces once the nearest primary school and siblings and children of pupils and past pupils are taken into account.

i went to Ardscoil myself and on the day I collected my Junior Cert results one of my classmates stabbed another guy in the front yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

RonMexico wrote: »
    i went to Ardscoil myself and on the day I collected my Junior Cert results one of my classmates stabbed another guy in the front yard.

I remember that. Was just a surface wound in the end. Could have been a lot more serious if he had cut an artery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

You got an ex boyfriend at CBS then, CarewPark? *LOL*

I have to laugh at how society looks at the so called scholastic excellence of a school versus violent incidents to determine which school is better.

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. And that pudding is life. How many times have you come across people from "good" schools who have bombed and those who went to "lesser" schools have really made something of their lives?

All the time.

Statements like the one made above illustrate neither prove good or bad - they show only one thing: ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 CarewParkAFC

1huge1 wrote: »
    Seeing as he's from dooradoyle he prob went/goes to crescent comp and had a run in with someone from cbs sexton st

Can't say much about the place

go to john the baptist hospital community school myself (6th year) and were the 2nd highest school in limerick (tutorial is 1st but thats not really fair because its a leaving cert school really)

I went to CBS Primary & Secondary, so i can say what i think about the place. It is a sh*thole and forever will be. Did i mention i was in the greatest school of all, Bruce College.

• Advertisement

Tea Leaf wrote: »
    You got an ex boyfriend at CBS then, CarewPark? *LOL*

I have to laugh at how society looks at the so called scholastic excellence of a school versus violent incidents to determine which school is better.

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. And that pudding is life. How many times have you come across people from "good" schools who have bombed and those who went to "lesser" schools have really made something of their lives?

All the time.

Statements like the one made above illustrate neither prove good or bad - they show only one thing: ignorance.

WELL to be honest, i am a selfish b***ard so I can say what i want, do what i want and when i feel like it. As far as society is concerned, everyone needs to chillax a bit, have a coke and a smile and then f**k off out of it.

Really? Isn't that a great statement!

Happen to be a student there myself you know and would just like to point out that the statement above is a pile of bollix.
    It mightn't be Blackrock or even Villiers and yeah it does have scum! But there's no certainly no ****ing need to start a thread giving it an even worse name than it has already!

I myself wouldnt go to any other school!

Boring! Boring! Boring!

Ive seen it ive been there i know all about it.

A complete sh*thouse of a school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Went to Ard Scoil myself, had its good times and its bad ones....do miss the place though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I went there for both primary and secondary and I had no problems with the mix of students there at my time .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

so where did you see this video of the fight then?

so where did you see this video of the fight then?

My cousin is a student there, he took it on the camera phone, the one behind the counter in the chipper nearly flipped out.

There's another one of a student throwing everything in his schoolbag AT a teacher. When i get the material i'll try and upload it, if i can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

+1 for ArdScoil here. Only place in Ireland (I hope) where a girl got a wedgie. Poor exchange students!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Irishboy29

OP - Why would you say something like that . It sounds a bit childish and uninformed.

CBS is/was a great school- Best soccer teams, best Hurling, Good rugby team. They even have an equestrian team - so do villiers and they're probably the only 2 schools that do.

The have excellent sporting facilities with the brothers field in Rathbane, a state of teh art indoor sports hall. They offer excellent subject choices that are not found in other schools i.e. media studies.

Former students to name but a few include
    JP Mc Manus- Billionaire business man
    Karl Spain commedian :)
    Diurmuid scully ( past Mayor of Limerick)
    Ciaran Mac Mathuna Broadcaster
    David Hanly Broadcaster morning Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Irishboy29 wrote: »
    OP - Why would you say something like that . It sounds a bit childish and uninformed.

CBS is/was a great school- Best soccer teams, best Hurling, Good rugby team. They even have an equestrian team - so do villiers and they're probably the only 2 schools that do.

in fairness thats only because some of the students come equipped with their own horses:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Went to Ard Scoil myself, had its good times and its bad ones....do miss the place though!

Ardscoil is the only School from which I've heard past pupils say they miss the place. Speaks volumes for the teaching and support staff in the place!

After all it's not just about the academics, atmosphere and extra-curricular activities are an important part of school. On the LTC and Bruce (to a lesser extent) note, it's all well and good to say that they get great results. In a large amount of cases the 500 points + pupils are either their own repeats (yes people who do the Leaving in Tutorial have been known to repeat too!!) or have gotten decent Leaving Certs from other schools previously.

+1 on the JP McManus comment, he also does his bit for the school with the scholarships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

CBS Sexton Street is a Christian Brothers Secondary School located in Limerick, Ireland. Past students include J. P. McManus, Karl Spain, Diarmuid Scully and Ciaran MacMathuna. The school is also renowned for hosting the J. P. McManus Scholarship Awards.

The school has approximately 950 students. The current principal is Noel Earlie and the current vice principal is Elizabeth Quinn.

The school has recently won the FAI all Ireland soccer championship for the first time in 31 years. a pipe band with so many achievements I couldn`t know where to start to list them . I went there and my two brothers I can say it`s not the worst place to attend in limerick ..

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Enda's ftw. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

DJKAV wrote: »
    ...the current vice principal is Elizabeth Quinn.

And a fine woman if my memory serves me right ! :p

Then again, that was 20 years ago, and my french is still crap.......

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

why thank ucuz...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 siouxie sue

Forget the CBS and St Enda's

If you want lower, then my friends its the good old Red tech known as youthreach in O'Connell Avenue. Its so low they have the pay the students to go there and then they are allowed to wear their tracksuits with the hoods up.:D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...Its so low they have the pay the students to go there...

Untrue. They don't HAVE to pay them to go there, the students are entitled to be paid while attending there. There's a difference. Its the same with the Youth Centre on Henry St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maryoshea

Of course they have to get paid. Do you really think the guys and girls who go there would go there if they didn't get paid? As for the youth centre :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

I went to CBS Primary and Secondary. It was a great school. I was on the basketball team and we were practically undeafeated in first year. (We lost one match by 1 point, to Ard Scoil Ris, but we won't go there!) :D

I had Noel Earlie for Geagraphy, but thank god I never had the joy of having Bitch Quinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

maryoshea wrote: »
    Of course they have to get paid. Do you really think the guys and girls who go there would go there if they didn't get paid? As for the youth centre :eek:

Read what I posted again:
    They don't HAVE to pay them to go there, the students are entitled to be paid while attending there.

There's a big difference between the two parts of the statement. The implication in the OP's statement (as I read it) was that the students got paid almost as a "thank you" for turning up. I'm saying that's not the case - they're entitled to be paid which is a totally different thing altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

my son 13 has just left cbs primary to go into secondary school and the only reason that he didnt go to that secondary was because we moved out of the city,,,he was totally devasted when we said we moving,,he is soo quiet and just loved that school,,i dont think it's fair to put that name on any school,,my child or my family are no scum bags,you can get them anywhere,,cbs and mr Hanly the principle were fantastic to my son,,and i will be forever grateful for the fantastic start that they have given him in his education,,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement