Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Folk Rock

• 23-01-2008 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

After Hard and Prog my favourite Rock sub genre - Not much talk of such like on R&M so are there any other fans out there?

Heres the amazing Pentangle, true originators of the twin guitar attack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Not as well versed in some of this as I'd like to be, I really like the band Comus, but apart from the more folk inspired Prog I listen to, that'd be about it. Pentangle certainly aren't bad, I have to say. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Fairport Convention

One with Sandy Denny (after Fairport with Fotheringay) - http://youtube.com/watch?v=4JlJMI8T57g

'Brillancy Medley' - http://youtube.com/watch?v=beATl3QI2X8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Decemberists are kinda modern day Folk rock. I'm gonna see them next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

"I want to see the bright lights tonight" and "Shoot out the lights" by Richard and Linda Thompson are brilliant albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_FJImYHkZk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

JæKæ wrote: »
    Decemberists are kinda modern day Folk rock. I'm gonna see them next week.

Abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Cool. Fairport (have to say with Sandy, although Full House is pretty good), and Richard and Linda Thompson (Pour down like Silver is their other great album) are some of my favourites. The Incredible String Band are another band that have to be heard to be believed but even then can be unbelivable:

Comus, mmh? Know I heard them but can't remember what their like. And have to check out the Decemberists (great name:))
    Recent stuff I'm aware of would be Gorkies Zygotic Mynci now sadly defunct but Euros Childs is still carrying the flag. And Beth Gibbons, the singer from Porteshead, did an amazing folkish album with Rustin Man (aka Paul Webb Talk Talks bass player) called Out of Season. From the states Espers are pretty good but are very like Trees from the 70s who had a couple of good albums - The Garden of Jane Delawny in particular.

I tend to vere towards women vocalist when it comes to this sort of stuff, Anne Briggs was a bit trad, but Vashti Bunyan (Diamond Day is currently being used in some ad or other:mad:), solo Sandy Denny (thats her on Battle of Evermore - the only guest artist to every appear with Zeppelin fact fans) The Northstar Grass and the Ravens will break your heart and Judy Collins is great for murder ballads - a staple of this genre

From the Irish scene Mellow Candle(more great female vocals) and Horslips (of course:rolleyes:) top everything, the rest, such as Dr Strangely Strange, strikes me a very twee. Correct me if I'm wrong - and I hope I am:)

Going right back to the start though I believe if it wasn't for Davey Graham folk music would have died with its finger stuck in it ear:
    :cool:

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Comus, mmh? Know I heard them but can't remember what their like.

Absolutely fantastic band, have a listen to this. If you like female vocalists in your folk rock, then it should get you half way there. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ClarenceOveur

Ever listen to Steeleye Span? Mostly rocked up folk songs, but very good I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqInvZ9hY9Y

Good harmonies here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBZ8v9L8444

Absolutely fantastic band, have a listen to this. If you like female vocalists in your folk rock, then it should get you half way there. ;)

Pretty good. I picked up a few re-released continental psych/folk albums a few years ago and Comus seem to be coming from that kind of angle. Check out German folk outfit Emtidi for example. Hoelderlin and Broselmaschine are another couple of class german groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Actually here is another German band called 'carol of harvest', their album is extremely rare and difficult to find but on this link to Progarchives there is a mp3

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2099

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Comus are an amazing group. Everyone should own Song to Comus, the reissue of all their recorded material. The later stuff is a bit meh but the first disc is truly magnificent. Love Fairport too, very different vibes but great to listen to.

More modern folk rock that I enjoy would be Current 93, who if you like Comus then you'll probably enjoy their similarly dark take on folk. David Tibet's voice isn't everyone's cup of tea but once you get into Current 93, it's hard to get out. All the Pretty Little Horses, Of Ruine or Some Blazing Starre and Black Ships Ate the Sky are all masterpieces.
    From the Irish scene Mellow Candle(more great female vocals)

Mellow Candle were brilliant too. Clodagh Simonds has a new band now called Fovea Hex who are a million times better. Electronic music with shades of folk; her band includes Brian Eno, Roger Eno, Robert Fripp, Donal Lunny, Cora Venus Lunny, Percy Jones, Roger Doyle Colin Potter, John Contreras and Carter Burwell, amongst others. Only 3 EPs available but they are by far and away the best music I have heard in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

iFight wrote: »
    Abroad?

Yep-Seattle. They cancelled the whole US tour, but rescheduled 4 dates in the North West to please their home fans. 2 gigs in Portland and 2 in Seattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Lucky man! Would love to go, cancelled Dublin date too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Surely the 2 most obvious bands would be Jethro Tull and Horslips from here./...ok both had a wide variety..Tull have done just about any music yu can think of , bar hardcore metal,,,althougfh no better guitarist than the great and much under sung Martin Barre to come up with some bone crunching guitar work to suit that style too ahha....
    Horslips..well gone really now,,,but kings of Celtic Rock for sure......they were a class act, great live act and best thing to happen to this country in 70's when new music was sooo badly needed!!...great concert at wembley arena them and Thin Lizzy now THAT was a show!! ;)

ciao' amigos...Baggio.....

John wrote: »
    Mellow Candle were brilliant too. Clodagh Simonds has a new band now called Fovea Hex who are a million times better. Electronic music with shades of folk; her band includes Brian Eno, Roger Eno, Robert Fripp, Donal Lunny, Cora Venus Lunny, Percy Jones, Roger Doyle Colin Potter, John Contreras and Carter Burwell, amongst others. Only 3 EPs available but they are by far and away the best music I have heard in years.

Holy sh*t, that sounds amazing:)

Nice one John must check out Fovea hex. I have the mellow candle CD and love the vocals on it, so its great to see that Clodagh Symonds is recording again.

Actually for anyone who has the original vinyl copy of mellow candles album, its worth a fortune.

Also lets not forget the US which have supplied some great folk rock, Dylan, Joan Baez, The Band, Joni Mitchell, Credence,etc.

One of my paticular favourites is Bert Jansch, Zep fans should recognise this tune I've posted. I think Nick Drake could do with a mention too

damonjewel wrote: »
    I think Nick Drake could do with a mention too

By all means. John Martyn too.

I think its interesting that a lot of bands from the late 60s/70s had a folkish element to their repertoire, Zeppelin being the obvious example. Heres Traffic and their brilliant version of John Barleycorn must die

I think that is certainly true of a lot of British and European bands. I suppose that whilst influenced by Blues and Jazz from the US, they also took their references from their own indigineous folk music, e.g. The Beatles were massively influenced by Skiffle music. Some of the German folkrock bands already mentioned bring in Asian\Arabic influences.

However I think the revolution really happens with Dylan which gave all folk music a massive injection to just about everywhere he was heard. When I talk to my Parents, the late sixties for them was the massive folk music revival that was going on in Dublin.

I think this was a golden age for folk music and of course it spilt over to Rock. Lets face it Led Zep 3 is mostly a folk rock album, whilst led zep 4 has its fair share of folk on it too.

I think folk was unfairly ditched when Punk arrived in the mid 70's, however Its good to see that today there is a sizeable interest in it still.

Oh yeah forgot the mention probably the Greatest Folk Rock artist of them all

BOB MARLEY

Here's stir it up

I take what you're saying about Dylan but the britfolk of the late 60s/70 was pretty devoid of politics, but you could take that as a rejection of Ewan McColls po-faced strangled hold on the folk scene in the 50s. Then again the Band were hardly mounting the barricades either...

Wow, am I glad I started this thread. Heres Fovea Hex's myspace, check it out. Beautiful music. Cheers John:) Haven't been this blown away since first hearing sigur ros

• Advertisement

Baggio wrote: »
    Surely the 2 most obvious bands would be Jethro Tull and Horslips from here./...ok both had a wide variety..Tull have done just about any music yu can think of , bar hardcore metal,,,althougfh no better guitarist than the great and much under sung Martin Barre to come up with some bone crunching guitar work to suit that style too ahha....
    Horslips..well gone really now,,,but kings of Celtic Rock for sure......they were a class act, great live act and best thing to happen to this country in 70's when new music was sooo badly needed!!...great concert at wembley arena them and Thin Lizzy now THAT was a show!! ;)

ciao' amigos...Baggio.....

Tull are absolutely brilliant. I don't have anywhere near as much of their stuff as I'd like, fantastic band though, and Martin Barre is certainly great.

I take what you're saying about Dylan but the britfolk of the late 60s/70 was pretty devoid of politics, but you could take that as a rejection of Ewan McColls po-faced strangled hold on the folk scene in the 50s. Then again the Band were hardly mounting the barricades either...

True enough, I have been racking my Brains and the best I can come up with is Barry Maguire's The Eve of Destruction, Eric Burdons When I was young and Peter Paul and Mary's version of Blowing in the wind.:D

However I think after his first 2 albums, Dylan himself ditched the protest singer tag. Dropping these constraints, Dylan changed the face of music by writing Lyrics that were poetic and challenging, which I think was much more revolutionary than picking up an electric guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Wow, am I glad I started this thread. Heres Fovea Hex's myspace, check it out. Beautiful music. Cheers John:) Haven't been this blown away since first hearing sigur ros

I'm always happy to spread the word about amazing music! I did reviews of the three EPs here, here and here if you're interested.

John wrote: »
    I'm always happy to spread the word about amazing music! I did reviews of the three EPs here, here and here if you're interested.

I'll be ordering these soon! Like what I hear on the myspace link. also I had heard one song of Comus on ProgArchives.com before but never saw it through so ordering that too!
    Tull are absolutely brilliant. I don't have anywhere near as much of their stuff as I'd like, fantastic band though, and Martin Barre is certainly great.

As for Jethro Tull, which ones would you recommend Karl, I have Benefit, Aqualung and Thick as a brick.

Advertisement