Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

roughly how much life left in these break pads?

Options
  • 23-01-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

accord auto 2.0.. roughly how much life left in these,brrake pads?
    19500 km on car from new so far how worn are they?

cheers
    see attached pics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pics are alright, id say your totally safe look like they have only been put in about 2-3months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

listermint wrote: »
    Pics are alright, id say your totally safe look like they have only been put in about 2-3months.

they are there 9months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Honda08 wrote: »
    they are there 9months now.

They look healthy. It's not so much the time they are in but the mileage and driving style. Pads last longer on semi rural or motorway driving. City driving, stop start or hard braking will wear them down quicker. If you've done 19500 on them, I reckon they're good for the same again, another 19K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Loads

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your being told by a main dealer that a vital safety part of you car needs replacing and you are asking strangers, with no knowledge*, on a web site to tell you how much life is left on them. There is no image of the original size of the pads so we don't know how badly they are worn. I'd go with a trained mechanic then someone on a website any day.

You don't believe the pads on your new car are gone in 20,000km. Brake pads are consumables and depending on driving style can last from 2,000km to 40,000km+. If you don't want to pay €170-€200 from a main dealer go to an independent garage, warrenty won't be affected. Main dealer is proberly charging up to €150 per hour for the work, depending on how fancy the show room is.

Also the pads may not wear out straight away, but garages are required to let you know if something will wear out before the next service as most people don't check their cars.

*Apologies to any trained mechanics here/competent DIYers. But a lot of people don't have a clue what they are talking about on here

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your being told by a main dealer ... I'd go with a trained mechanic
    More than likely the garage used an apprentice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Your being told by a main dealer that a vital safety part of you car needs replacing and you are asking strangers, with no knowledge*, on a web site to tell you how much life is left on them. There is no image of the original size of the pads so we don't know how badly they are worn. I'd go with a trained mechanic then someone on a website any day.

You don't believe the pads on your new car are gone in 20,000km. Brake pads are consumables and depending on driving style can last from 2,000km to 40,000km+. If you don't want to pay €170-€200 from a main dealer go to an independent garage, warrenty won't be affected. Main dealer is proberly charging up to €150 per hour for the work, depending on how fancy the show room is.

Also the pads may not wear out straight away, but garages are required to let you know if something will wear out before the next service as most people don't check their cars.

*Apologies to any trained mechanics here/competent DIYers. But a lot of people don't have a clue what they are talking about on here

Did I miss something from the OP?

see attached pics
    In fairness there are 8 pads on the car and you've only shown us 2.

The ones shown are fine!

Also "Main Dealers" can also stick on a few parts not required just as a general service just to get extra money from the customers. Dont treat "main dealers" as gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

That's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

relax the dealer hasnt seen the car, i enquired about the price over the phone. i was doing my homework before leaving car in for service.. as i didnt want dealer changing pads that didnt need changing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JHMEG wrote: »
    More than likely the garage used an apprentice.

An apprentice would have more training then someone here looking at a picture, I'd hope:D
    relax the dealer hasnt seen the car, i enquired about the price over the phone. i was doing my homework before leaving car in for service.. as i didnt want dealer changing pads that didnt need changing!!

Sorry, just from all the posts I thought you thought the dealer was trying to screw you. The 2 pads you showed look fine, when you are down to a few millimeters of pad then they need replacing. Most also have bits of metal in the pad that makes noise when low, you should never wait for these to make noise as you are damaging your disks!

When leaving the car in for service make sure and say no extra work is to be done without your authorisation and any parts replaced have to shown to you. If they call saying something needs to be done ask for a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Most also have bits of metal in the pad that makes noise when low, you should never wait for these to make noise as you are damaging your disks!
    Sorry but you are talking sheisse here, the wear indicators are there to alert the driver that the pads are due to be changed as the pad material is getting low.
    Running the pads down to the metal backing is damaging to discs, running the wear indicator will not harm anything, it's only a small piece of 2mm steel that makes a scraping noise.

Advertisement